Fuses for TFM-15

I have a TFM-15 that turns on...hooked up a CD player  but meters do not move and there's no sound.  Checked fuses....a 1A 250v fuse was blown.  Amp also had 2 8A 250v fuses.  Info on circuit board shows the 2 fuses should be 8A 125v.  Should I replace the fuses according to the info on the circuit board or use the 2 I have?

• Thank You 1

Fuses F001 and F002 are 8 Amp. 125v 

Fuse F003 is a 1 amp 250v

These 3 fuses are the ones on the little board on the left side of the amp. 5 Amp slow blow in the back left corner of the chassis. Use the info on the board. 

Edited by Rob

Regarding Pre-Amp...I didn't connect a pre amp.  I do have one but just decided to connect cd player directly to amp. 

Installed new fuses according to the board...plugged in the amp.  Heard a click, amp did not power on.  Found power line fuse blown.

On 3/15/2023 at 5:18 PM, Randell Brown said:

Regarding Pre-Amp...I didn't connect a pre amp.  I do have one but just decided to connect cd player directly to amp. 

Installed new fuses according to the board...plugged in the amp.  Heard a click, amp did not power on.  Found power line fuse blown.

It blew after you just replaced it?

These amps were popular in homes that wanted multi-room audio.

I had picked one up locally that was 'for parts'... 

When I asked what speakers the owner was using he said "Four pairs..." - the load on the amp had to be ~1ohm!

The internal fuses blew (shocking, I know)

A quick recap - new fuses and relay... perfecto

1 hour ago, Randell Brown said:

Amp is back online now , but still no sound.  I know nothing about electronics...I think I see what the problem may be. Is it ok to post a picture.  Would like an opinion on whether or not it worth the cost to fix

Post it. 

34 minutes ago, Randell Brown said:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5enKSKrxZqAXJcrs6

No click when powered on.  In reference to the photo....what about the "white wire"???? It looks singed where it attaches to the board.

Looks a little corroded. Wire and jumpers but it is normal and see that all the time. The brown stuff is glue. And the relays aren't turning on because of protection. Are you using a Variac? Or are you plugging it into the wall? 

Edited by Rob

It is not advised to use a wall plug as a source of voltage while testing equipment. There are a number of things why those relays are not closing. Can you take a pic of the board where the fuses are? Did you or anyone else change the small caps on that board? A common mistake on this particular amp is installing caps backwards because the polarity symbol is for positive and not negative like most boards.

Edited by Rob

It's pretty difficult to repair an amplifier without any electronics knowledge.  If it's blowing fuses there could be some major faults that you can't find just by looking at it.  I'd say take it to a repair shop if you want it working. 

• Thank You 1

@Randell Brown I have Three of these amps and yes they were all worth getting Restored. I had two done by @Nahash5150 his website is here,

https://nelionaudio.com/index.php?/services.html/carver/carver-amplifiers/carver-tfm-15-restore-r23/

The other I purchased from a member here, @itchitch. All have given many hours of SOUND enjoyment.

If it was me, I would contact Greg ( @Nahash5150 ) , get on his list as soon as possible. Then be prepared to enjoy a new fully restored amp.

You can't beat the warranty that Greg gives on his work, I still think its three years. 

• Thank You 1