New member intro

Hi, I'm new to the community. Just came into possession of a Tfm35 and CT6 which are replacing my Sherwood S8910. These belonged to my dad and I'm really excited to have equipment I grew up listening to and know that it has such cherished heritage. Each component seems to have a couple of quirks that probably need to be serviced but 99% of the time everything is functioning correctly and sounds incredible. 

I would love some advice on servicing. The CT6 has a very dim display and the hologram output drops to a very low level when engaged. I figure it needs to be recapped but don't know if it's worth what it may cost. Otherwise it's good to go.

Running a Rega P1 upgraded with Nagaoka Mp110 and 12mm glass platter to the phono input and an Eversolo Z6 DAC into the CD input for DSD, MQA and hi res PCM. All interconnects are BJC. 

The Tfm35 seems to be having a protection circuit issue. From a "cold" start it may or may not go into protect mode for several cycles and then will randomly clear and the amp is good to go. It was serviced within the last few years and all issues were fixed then so not sure about this one. 

After it fires up properly, which it usually does, wow! Such a beautiful, smooth, warmish-neutral, POWERFUL amp. I absolutely love it. I expect it to be my reference solid state amp for the rest of my life. 

The tfm35 feeds a pair of Klipsch piano rf8000 loudspeakers through home-assembled bi-wired 14AWG OFC speaker cables with locking bananas. 

I hope I'm doing this right but I'm really happy to have found a group who know so much about this stuff and I'm sure are just as passionate about hi-fi and Carver in particular. 

Edited by tgoggans
Spelling, grammar
  • Thank You 5

• Community Admin

Weclome to TheCarverSite.  Glad you found us.

That setup is nice!  Seems there is something going on in them, that could be fixed.  A refresh from some techs may have missed something that was borderline a few years ago, that now has reared its head now.  Hard to say.

Welcome !

• Thank You 1

image.jpeg.422b35c4f86e11154f402929293e8d14.jpeg

Welcome @tgoggans!  Your dad, and now you, clearly had some great taste in gear!  Not that the Sherwood was any slouch, either.

Sounds like you have a nice setup, there - enjoy!!!!

I can't offer much in the way of technical advice, but there are plenty of folks here who can offer advice or assist in fixing your components.  I'll let the appropriate folks pipe up for that, but if they don't - ask, and someone will, or will direct you to Greg (Nahash5150) at nelionaudio.com .

• Love this! 1

1 hour ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

image.jpeg.422b35c4f86e11154f402929293e8d14.jpeg

Welcome @tgoggans!  Your dad, and now you, clearly had some great taste in gear!  Not that the Sherwood was any slouch, either.

Sounds like you have a nice setup, there - enjoy!!!!

I can't offer much in the way of technical advice, but there are plenty of folks here who can offer advice or assist in fixing your components.  I'll let the appropriate folks pipe up for that, but if they don't - ask, and someone will, or will direct you to Greg (Nahash5150) at nelionaudio.com .

Thank you! My dad was always very proud of his Carver components. I am now as well. As I educated myself on the history and genius of Carver, I became enthralled. Thinking back to those trips to Magnolia HiFi in Lynnwood now seem even more special. I'd like to think padre was holding on to the Carvers for me all along. 

• That Rocks 1

1 minute ago, Receiver2000 said:

I have a TFM35 as well. I would like to have the CT6 - pretty sleek. Hope that you get the TFM35 sorted. Mine sounds great.

The Tfm35 is just amazing. The soundstage is enormous and I love the VU meters.