Carver C 1000

Is this a good receiver to buy? Have an AVR 100 but want another Carver to attach to my big screen tv. 
mall suggestion and comments will be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks, Elio 

The Carver C-1000 is a very nice unit. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about it to give it a full review.

I have one here that a client wants to sell, but out of fear I haven't been using it...maybe I should...

Since my application needs do not require a tuner, maybe I should consider an updated M-1.0t and C1 combo instead. I have a Carver Surround Processor to take care of rear and sub needs.

Any suggestions regarding this choice?

A quick glance at the manual, it kind of looks like my Sunfire TGIV.

I found this for you to look at.

Carver Audio C 1000A Dolby Digital DTS Receiver A/V Receivers user reviews : 3.1 out of 5 - 18 reviews - audioreview.com

Another source is using the Carver site search engine to find any comments on the C-1000.

A few other things to think about is what you intend to hook up the C-1000 and your TV, and will it be able to accommodate it. This also goes for something like the updated M-1.0t and C1 combo that you mentioned.

• Thank You 1

• Community Admin

I'm not sure what your budget it..., but the only real comparison for your own ears, is going to be to try out each configuration.  no way to try them all out..., let your instincts drive you on your own unique path.

I have a C-1000 and used it for a few years as a receiver/preamp for my HT system. I enjoyed it, both with its internal amps, and with pre-outs to other Carver amps.  I played around with it a lot.  If connecting to other HDMI components, you'll need to use an HDMI to Component converter for display in and out..., The C-1000 pre-dates HDMI so it doesn't have any of those inputs/outputs.  That's not an impossible hurdle to overcome for TV/Video - and it's not important at all, if you are using the C-1000 for only surround audio or only 2-channel audio.

The C-1000 has a remote that you'll want to get, as IIRC, there are some functions that are only accessible by the remote.  I could be wrong about that.

I have also used a Carver H-9AV and the Carver DPL-33 and the DPL-20 surround processor configuration.  I like these a lot too.  It's different, unique, and fun.

All I can say, though, is my experience may not match yours.  And I've put 20 years into OCCD to collect, try, and refine down to what I want in my "main system."  YMMV.

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1

8 hours ago, BobTFM35 said:

Carver Audio C 1000A Dolby Digital DTS Receiver A/V Receivers user reviews : 3.1 out of 5 - 18 reviews - audioreview.com

Another source is using the Carver site search engine to find any comments on the C-1000.

A few other things to think about is what you intend to hook up the C-1000 and your TV, and will it be able to accommodate it. This also goes for something like the updated M-1.0t and C1 combo that you mentioned.

John, thanks for your input, it is appreciated. I think I've possibly done too much research on this unknown, to me, receiver but since it's old and since the individual who refreshed my AVR 100, recommended I not buy it, I'm really on the fence. He will not work on it if it poops out, This could make it a very expensive paperweight. Since it appears to have the optical input that I can use from my Samsung TV, and has the necessary speaker outputs needed for surround sound, along with lots of guts, I thought it would be a perfect alternative to buying another 100.

There's one for sale on eBay right now, but the seller isn't a sound purist, and it just may be a nice looking piece of junk.

I am really on the fence on this one.

Knowing what I've experienced with my Sunfire TGIV, I switched it out for something more modern but still capable of using all five of my Carver amps. It has optical, digital, pre outs along with HDMI. Will I use them all, probably not but I have them if required, plus a 5 year warranty.

For the Sunfire, when the processor craps out its a big paperweight as it can't be fixed from what I was told.

11 hours ago, BobTFM35 said:

As I recall, the C-1000 was the ONLY Carver-branded component Sunfire would service after Sunfire acquired what was left of Carver Corp. I also read recently that Bob originally intended to operate both brands although we all know that didn't really happen. Coupled with your recognition of similarities between the TGIV and the C-1000 it makes me suspect the latter was actually made by the combined Sunfire/Carver. I'm open to learning if I'm way off base with this supposition.

Edited by weitrhino
  • Thank You 1

The C-1000 has only composite and S-video so it is useless for video switching.  (not all that important to me or many others).  I owned a used C-1000 in 2004 and it spent 6 months in the repair shop.  It was horribly problematic.  The sound was nothing special.  Granted it could have been a bad unit all around.  It has pre-outs for all channels but you can't use it as a 5 channel amp on its own.  They look great but frankly if something goes wrong with it I think it will be very difficult to get it repaired.  There are simpler and better options.  My 5 cents.  (we don't have pennies anymore in this country so minimum is a nickel)

I’m extremely interested in everyone’s opinion regarding the C1000. Roland has told me it isn’t really a Carver, so that’s why nobody will work on it. 
I guess I’ll change my search to a 2000 or another AVR 100. 
Thanks for everyone’s input. 

• Community Admin
10 hours ago, Elio said:

Roland has told me it isn’t really a Carver

10 hours ago, weitrhino said:

As I recall, the C-1000 was the ONLY Carver-branded component Sunfire would service

It was my understanding of the historical folklore that the Carver Knight Shadow subwoofer and the C-1000 receiver were both really Sunfire products..., with Carver Corp. labeling, as a last ditch final-days effort to resurrect Carver Corp, before bankruptcy...

I have both, the C-1000 is on the shelf now - and I found it pretty nice, if you can live with an HDMI converter for video.

If the price is right, it's a fun thing to experience, and one may actually like it.  as for servicing..., pretty much all 30+ year old Carver (and other) vintage gear has its unique servicing/refreshing needs..., that enterprising OCCD hobbyists always find a way.

Curious to ask, if Greg @Nahash5150, has had the cover off the one he mentioned he has in his shop, or another unit, and his opinion on whether the C-1000 can be serviced/refreshed?

Edited by AndrewJohn

I wonder if the C-1000 is really a true Carver product or if it was a modified unit based on an existing or partnered design.  The reason I say this is because the front and back panel layout of the C-1000 are very similar to the Rotel RSX - 965 DD/DTS receiver (75 watts/channel) that came out around the same time.  Google some pictures of that Rotel receiver and you will see what i mean.

Thanks for all the feedback regarding the C-1000. Although it may be a great addition to my collection, it's possible serviceability issues, could make it a poor choice. I was wondering if anyone had a good recommendation regarding a M-500t and a C-1 combo for my application, since I don't need a tuner. I realize that I will need an optical to RCA adapter to get audio from my TV to make this application work. There's such a combo for sale on eBay by their owner, who is changing out his equipment. I'm sure that these units are easily serviceable and if Greg is still on this chat, can you send me your fee to upgrade both units along with latest mods for the C-1

• Community Admin
44 minutes ago, BobTFM35 said:

I'm posting this to give an idea of what the inside looks like for the C1000.

s-l1600.jpg

Its from this eBay listing,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carver-C-1000A-Receiver-1000-Watts-/125844436045?hash=item1d4ce9b44d:g:9W4AAOSweL9kHw8P&pageci=d224968f-1064-4d70-a0a4-68dba87c46a7&redirect=mobile

I couldn't find one..., but would love to compare this image to the internals of a Sunfire TG IV, or? to see if they are identical, or very close.

Have you had any issues with it? Still seems like a good unit to add to my collection . It also appears to have an optical input to allow sound from my TV to be sent without buying a converter.

@Elio Only recently did it start to have issues and that's why I have the cover off. Its fate will be determined at a later date. If replacing a few items gets it running again then I will have a fantastic BU unit or switch it out with my living room Marantz AV600.

Shipping it out to have it possibly repaired was not an option. It could be the processor. As a result of these issues I decided that (for me ) I was going to buy a new AV unit.

Like I said above " I switched it out for something more modern but still capable of using all five of my Carver amps. It has optical, digital, pre outs along with HDMI. Will I use them all, probably not but I have them if required, plus a 5 year warranty. "

I purchased a Marantz SR5015 and it has everything that I need and then some. I can add two more (Carver) amps and speakers for surround back and a second sub on top of the 5 and a sub I have now.  Depending on how I configure things I think I can add Dolby Atmos  speakers. I will have to explore this option at a later date.

I am more than happy with this choice that I have made.

Question: have you heard of a M-1.5t running hot?  There's one for sale on eBay that the seller says it performs okay, but runs hot. Sounds like something is possibly wrong with it. I thought I could consider a separate amp and C-1 configuration for my needs instead of looking at another receiver. I could always get another AVR 100 since mine performs perfectly. There's an interesting M-500t for sale that the owner is selling . He also has a C-1 for sale and they are part of his collection. Since I'm aware of the cost to repair these old units, I'm being very cautious.

I have two m1.5t's.  I run Infinity Kappa 8 speakers, which need a lot of amp.  Even with just one m1.5t pushing (and even before Nelion upgraded the amp), the amp never got hotter than 100 deg at his warmest location.  I have had instances where it got hotter, but those were always when I had something sitting directly on top of the amp and no way for it to breathe.  So, if the amp is working hard and the top is blocked, it can get overheated.  But, if you vent them, and maybe add a fan, should be no issue.  Now with 2 m1.5't's pushing, and both upgraded to mkII by Nelion, I rarely see temps above 90 deg F on either of my amps.