Sunfire All

Hi I have been collecting  Carver and Sunfire gear for 20 years now. I have spent a lot of time researching them also … I know this question has be ask and debated a lot with ohms law ,but can anyone simply tell me if the sig cinema Grand 5 and 7 put out the 400x?? …Chanel’s ,everything  thank Paul….

• Thank You 3

• Community Admin

Welcome @Paul Gardner to your first post on the site.   Are you asking about the Cinema Grand receiver?  Or the 5 and 7 channel standard and signature model Sunfire amplifier?

If askign about the amplifier, you can identify the 400x5 or 400x7 by the gold-plated binding posts on the back.  The 200x5 and 200x7 have red/black plastic binding posts.  The signature model 400x5 and 400x7 have Bob Carver signature on the front faceplate too, upper left.  But that may have been rubbed off, so the binding posts are the best way to identify the two power levels apart.

If that's not what you are asking, apologies in advance for my misunderstanding.

• Thank You 1

15 hours ago, Paul Gardner said:

can anyone simply tell me if the sig cinema Grand 5 and 7 put out the 400x?? …Chanel’s ,everything  thank Paul….

I know for a fact they can deliver that power one channel at a time seen it with my own eyes many times at Bill Flannery's on his test bench. As for all channels driven? Don't think that's physically possible- I'm sure there's an upper limit on total output power that gets divided amongst all channels not sure what it is on those amps. Bill once told me the Sunfire Ultimate Receivers maxed out at around 575 watts total output no matter how you slice it; roughly 290x2 or 85x7 I'm sure the amplifiers are probably the same way.

• Thank You 2

I was looking for my thread from when I first joined… asking the same question 😎

One of the sparkies here did the math and it wasn’t possible to output the maximum on all channels simultaneously (it was either limited by the transformer or the current draw from a 20A wall outlet)

• Thank You 3

A 15 amp circuit can deliver about 1800 watts and a 20 amp is good for 2400 watts. There are losses in the device connected that further reduce the possible output. Divide this by the number of channels and that's the theoretical limit of continuous power into resistive loads. Of course demanding full power, from all channels at a static 8 or 4 ohm load at the same time, doesn't happen in the application of audio driving dynamic speaker loads with an impedance curve from 2 to 30 ohms. Resistive load test won't show the ability of an amp to increase voltage swing in response to the dynamic, variable impedance of a loudspeaker loud. 

Bob test one channel at a time, measuring the voltage output at the point of clipping using the standard 1KHz sine wave. The voltage at clipping, squared, divided by 8 or 4 ohm load is the power output. Dynamic power is different.

When measuring, while driving actual speaker loads, lighter weight designs are possible without clipping at their rated output. This application driven approach has enabled great sound in Bobs lighter weight designs, that more people could afford without sacrificing musical performance. Wide voltage swings and dynamic power is what sounds good, current needs to be enough.

Edited by Ar9Jim
  • Thank You 4