Inherited Carver Stack Troubles

Greetings. Thanks for the add. My dad owned a burglar and fire alarm company from the 70s - early 90s. In addition to installing alarms in high end homes, he installed Hi Fi on the side. We always had a bitchin sound system in the house growing up. I remember him playing discs (not compact, but the size of vinyl) way back in the day. Then we had CDs way before most even knew what they were. Well he passed away a few years ago and I've come across some of the stuff...

Like others, I inherited my dad's carver stack: C-2 preamp, M-1.5t amp and m-200t amp. They haven't been used in many years. I'm wanting to hook up a Pioneer record player to listen to vinyl in the house. 

First, some guidance on connecting everything up would be great. Can I use both the M-1.5t & the M-200t? Or is it one or the other, not both. If that's the case, which do you suggest?

Next my volume control seems corroded. I've tried spraying CRC Electronic Cleaner and turning the knob, but it's ineffective - lots of cracking and R speaker comes and goes. Should I try something else? Is there a replacement?

Thanks for the help.

• Thank You 6

If you have cleaned the volume pot and it still crackles or you have channel drop out you probably need to clean the balance pot. I am no expert, but I use fader lube on pots and contact cleaner on switches.  Both caig deoxit. 

• Thank You 3

Welcome!

Since you found two amps I'm guessing your dad used the bigger amp (1.5t) for the 'main' system and the 200t for a second room? But if you're only working with one room, the M-1.5t should do the job nicely. But either should be fine if it meets your power output needs.

For the volume control, in some cases it's hard to get the liquid into the pot for cleaning. If the CRC doesn't change at least reduce the crackling, I'm guessing it isn't getting into the wiper of the pot. If you are comfortable with removing the cover so you can get direct access to the pot, a straw on the CRC sprayer should be able to get the cleaner in there. Look for a little opening/notch in the pot body to allow access. Spray it with power off (and the system unplugged and sitting for 5+ minutes), rotate the pot fully back-and-forth 4-5 times, then reconnect everything and try again. 

And @Balok had a good insight as the Balance pot can also get distortion into either audio channel. In fact, if you've gained access to one pot, it's a good idea to clean them all.

Good luck.

• Thank You 2

That is a problem for many sealed pots. Simply no way to get to the  tracks to clean them.

This PSE studio 1 had 3 expensive noble cast aluminum pots ,2 in the tone control circuit plus volume

The balance control had a open area on the side for access but in most cases you have to unsolder

many pots and take them apart and open them up to do it properly

IMG_1637.jpeg

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1

Thanks for the insight folks. I have taken the cover off and sprayed the electronic cleaner on the backside of the volume control and swiveled the dial repeatedly to no avail. It's still full of crackle and poor sound. 

Excuse my ignorance, but is a pot the dial controls for volume, balance, etc?

And from what Eyexlr8 has suggested, these pots are sealed? So I'll need to unsolder them to take them apart and clean them? Arg... looks like more youtube videos (if I'm lucky there are any) in my future.

Cheers

• Thank You 2

• Community Admin
On 4/25/2024 at 12:54 PM, ProAlpine said:

First, some guidance on connecting everything up would be great.

Welcome, @ProAlpine, glad you found us.  This website is a great forum of information and active fans - and it's searchable..., lots of historical information.

As for this first request, I think the best way to approach this is to pull down the manuals for the C-2, etc., that you have.  The configuration and wiring diagrams on how to hook things up are pretty good in the original manuals. 

You can find the manuals for download, at the top of the homepage for the website, in the "Manuals and Specsheets" pull down menu.

Again, welcome!

• Thank You 2

14 hours ago, ProAlpine said:

Thanks for the insight folks. I have taken the cover off and sprayed the electronic cleaner on the backside of the volume control and swiveled the dial repeatedly to no avail. It's still full of crackle and poor sound. 

Excuse my ignorance, but is a pot the dial controls for volume, balance, etc?

And from what Eyexlr8 has suggested, these pots are sealed? So I'll need to unsolder them to take them apart and clean them? Arg... looks like more youtube videos (if I'm lucky there are any) in my future.

Cheers

Yes, the dial controls in most audio equipment are potentiometers and commonly referred to as simply 'pots'

Pots will generally be sealed to try and keep dust out, but most inexpensive pots still have some small openings where you can get in some cleaner. Here's an example - the straw on your cleaner can sometimes sneak in a little opening like where the red arrow is (and sometimes there are small openings on the back):

image.png.9e4241f4b43c71f1bbabb35a399d24f3.png

The better pots are usually sealed to keep all dust and dirt out. These usually are meant to be replaced when they have a problem, but if you're skilled like @Eyexlr8 is, you can often carefully disassemble and clean them. Here's a completely sealed pot for comparison to the above:

image.png.f5e10e69625a26636d6c8ffe15f63ded.png

• Thank You 5

I kept my volume pot when I upgraded my C2 with a motorized/remote control volume. You are welcome to have it. But there are many access points open that pot to get some cleaner in there. 

IMG_2280.jpg

Edited by Rob
  • Thank You 5

These cheaper and smaller volume controls usually have poor channel to channel tracking due to the smaller carbon track and smaller wipers

in comparison to the bigger blue Alps pots. If you have the room for it I would replace it like Rob has done

You can also carefully bend the tabs back and take it apart for inspection and sometimes they just go bad since these have the highest mechanical wear in the entire electronic food chain

• Thank You 3