Returning to the Fold...

After a long, LONG absence (broke my back), I'm back online. I'm happy to be on the CARVER site!, and hope to contribute in some small way. 

That been said, and I don't want to go off-topic, but listening to my Amazing Silver MKlls the other day (via a McIntosh MC2205 amp), it hit me: I've got a polyglot system made up of mostly older Japanese equipment I haven't gotten repaired yet (A fairly complete collection of the Pioneer Silver Series equipment, top to bottom.) Whilst my RTR works (which I may keep for giggles), I've decided to get rid of 90% of the rest of the Pioneer components (amps, preamps, tuner, EQs and such) and concentrate on building a nice all-Carver setup...dual amps (front and rear), Carver tuner & preamp, etc. 

Whilst I'm familiar with the glorious emanations from the Amazing Silvers, I'm in a bit of a quandry about what amps to get. I like the M500/500t's, mainly 'cause of the look, but the TFM amps aren't bad, either. (BTW, my rear channel is composed of two Infinity WTLC's - with the Walsh driver inverted - for the mid-highs on up) .  I'd prefer to keep the power to at least 100wpc (amp-wise), but I'm not keen on the softer 'tube' sound...ok, not crazy about the harsher highs of an old SS amp, either!  Any ideas on what to look for?

Also, what exactly (besides age) is the difference between the M500 and the 500t? I can't see any difference in the specs or descriptions. 

Thanks in advance for your help and kindnesses, and if anyone wants to contact me via email, feel free! Just put "Carver site" in the Subject line!

Chuck K
Norman, Oklahoma

Are the Norman, Oklahoma police still hiding behind the billboard like they did in the 70s?

I think you'll be very happy with an M500t Mk. II - good sound and a decent amount of power.

I had an M500 Mk. II and an M500t Mk. II and preferred the 't' variant as it had a warmer sound to it.

The 't', I believe, stands for transfer function which is Carver speak for making the amp sound like another model which were usually tubes.  In the case of the M500t, I think that it wasn't voiced like any particular amplifier, just to what Bob Carver found to be pleasing.

• Thank You 1

an M-500(t) might not have enough ooomph to drive silvers' date=' unless you modify the Silver's and biamp; another good choice is the M-1.0t[/quote']

Nice to know...Thanks loads for the suggestions! I was going that way (the M500) simply for the cosmetics. Do you think any of the TFM series might have the oomph to do a good job? I only ask as I like the cosmetics of seeing meters, and am not familiar with the M1.0. Right now, I'm using a McIntosh MC2205 for the Carvers, and an Onkyo M504 for the Infinitys (both have same impedance, and close to the same upper-range sound, so they're a nice pairing where room is a consideration).  Either way, if I can get a pair of the 'right' Carver amps with a good Carver pre in return for my old gear, I'll be a cappy hamper!

Are the Norman' date=' Oklahoma police still hiding behind the billboard like they did in the 70s?[/quote']

Naw...they hide on the offramps to catch you nowadays, especially during home games! 

Thx for the info, btw...seems like even Carver folks have ideas on favorite amps to drive the Amazings, so I'm open to ideas...though I've got a buddy with a pair of Am.Silvers (I turned him on to them!) that he's powering with a TFM-45, to glorious results! Guess it's a function of trying to find what's out there for what I'm offering!

an M-500(t) might not have enough ooomph to drive silvers' date=' unless you modify the Silver's and biamp; another good choice is the M-1.0t[/quote']

Nice to know...Thanks loads for the suggestions! I was going that way (the M500) simply for the cosmetics. Do you think any of the TFM series might have the oomph to do a good job? I only ask as I like the cosmetics of seeing meters, and am not familiar with the M1.0. Right now, I'm using a McIntosh MC2205 for the Carvers, and an Onkyo M504 for the Infinitys (both have same impedance, and close to the same upper-range sound, so they're a nice pairing where room is a consideration).  Either way, if I can get a pair of the 'right' Carver amps with a good Carver pre in return for my old gear, I'll be a cappy hamper!

I'm not familiar with the TFM line, except:

• the models below (and including) TFM-35 are not magnetic field amplifiers, they have 'normal' transformers.
  • The TFM-4.0/TFM-42/TFM-45 are re-badged M-4.0t's

• Thank You 1

Are the Norman' date=' Oklahoma police still hiding behind the billboard like they did in the 70s?[/quote']

Naw...they hide on the offramps to catch you nowadays, especially during home games! 

Thx for the info, btw...seems like even Carver folks have ideas on favorite amps to drive the Amazings, so I'm open to ideas...though I've got a buddy with a pair of Am.Silvers (I turned him on to them!) that he's powering with a TFM-45, to glorious results! Guess it's a function of trying to find what's out there for what I'm offering!

A member here named RobertR is driving silvers (as well as, I believe, Plats)  you might ask him what he likes
  • Thank You 1

Also, what exactly (besides age) is the difference between the M500 and the 500t? I can't see any difference in the specs or descriptions. 

The "t" has Bob's t-mod, ie the transfer function is modified to sound more tube-like.  It also has a power switch and a slightly lower input sensitivity than the non-t version.  If you bridge them, you'll want a matched pair otherwise the t version will have a slightly lower volume than the non-t.

As for the Silvers, if they are 8R speakers (as I believe they are) then the M500 or the M500t will drive them to all but blistering high levels.  Each is rated at 251 watts at 8R.

Welcome to the show. 
  • Thank You 1

Welcome back chuckster! Love the Amazings. Norman home of the Sooners and Meteorology.

Thanks! I've never heard a sweeter-sounding pair of speakers before, including the vaunted Martin-Logans! Nice to be back!

C

I'm not familiar with the TFM line, except:

• the models below (and including) TFM-35 are not magnetic field amplifiers, they have 'normal' transformers.
  • The TFM-4.0/TFM-42/TFM-45 are re-badged M-4.0t's

ALSO good to know. Thanks, thanks again.  Nice also to hear from another Husker! (Yes, I know I live in Norman...but they actually LIKE 'us' here...unlike Texans!)

C

A member here named RobertR is driving silvers (as well as, I believe, Plats)  you might ask him what he likes

Rich, you da Man!

C

Also' date=' what exactly (besides age) is the difference between the M500 and the 500t? I can't see any difference in the specs or descriptions. 

[/quote']

The "t" has Bob's t-mod, ie the transfer function is modified to sound more tube-like.  It also has a power switch and a slightly lower input sensitivity than the non-t version.  If you bridge them, you'll want a matched pair otherwise the t version will have a slightly lower volume than the non-t.

As for the Silvers, if they are 8R speakers (as I believe they are) then the M500 or the M500t will drive them to all but blistering high levels.  Each is rated at 251 watts at 8R.

Welcome to the show. 

Thanks, thanks again!!! Yes, they're 8R's, so I now feel quite a bit happier (since there's a 500t readily available here...)! QUITE some show here, too! I haven't had this much acceptance and help before, even when I dumped my PC and went Mac! (and I'm a frustrated graphic designer!)

Cheers,
C

hello. just an fyi, robert r likes or at the very least uses the three eye monsters (one for the ribbons and another for the woofers) in a bi-amp application with active crossovers to drive the the three silvers. that is what i listened to at the fest rooming with him and mike in the three floor cabin. very nice effect those have in three channel mode. for me personally, i like the tfm55's in mono to drive the original al-III's. hell, even one in stereo mode is more than enough to put a big smile on my face. when we listened to the tube silver's at the fest, i was amazed that they did infact sound smooth and did have a simular sonic signature to the ss amps that i own. the silvers were accurate and did not at all make me think that the tubes lacked in bass or treble at all. they sounded like the best amps i have ever heard personally. the sunfire amps were also very nice, but the one that kinda stole the show was the lightstar amps that were there. i spent the maority of my time listening to them with the new amazing's that james made. so in the order of oh my, carver tfm55, sunfire 300/per, sunfire 600/per, lightstar mkII, lightstar cyclops and the one and only silver tube amps. of course the money goes up with the model as well, funny how that worked out as well.

• Thank You 1

hello. just an fyi' date=' robert r likes or at the very least uses the three eye monsters (one for the ribbons and another for the woofers) in a bi-amp application with active crossovers to drive the the three silvers. that is what i listened to at the fest rooming with him and mike in the three floor cabin. very nice effect those have in three channel mode. for me personally, i like the tfm55's in mono to drive the original al-III's. hell, even one in stereo mode is more than enough to put a big smile on my face. when we listened to the tube silver's at the fest, i was amazed that they did infact sound smooth and did have a simular sonic signature to the ss amps that i own. the silvers were accurate and did not at all make me think that the tubes lacked in bass or treble at all. they sounded like the best amps i have ever heard personally. the sunfire amps were also very nice, but the one that kinda stole the show was the lightstar amps that were there. i spent the maority of my time listening to them with the new amazing's that james made. so in the order of oh my, carver tfm55, sunfire 300/per, sunfire 600/per, lightstar mkII, lightstar cyclops and the one and only silver tube amps. of course the money goes up with the model as well, funny how that worked out as well.[/quote']

WOW. Hope I can talk with him soonish. Dunno if I dare dream to get FOUR of 'em to biamp my simple pair of AS's (;p) ! I think I'd be lucky to find two of 'em!

Cheers,
C

Welcome back' date=' Chuckster! I know someone in Piedmont, OK. What's that area like?
[/quote']

Not what you'd expect when you hear "Oklahoma"...green, rolling terrain, lots of trees...and the inevitable farmland surrounding it! Kinda hard to describe otherwise, since I haven't been back to the Piedmont area since I did route sales there 10+ years ago!

Thanks to all of you for the warm welcomes!

Chuckster