Sign in to follow this  
Harryfan

Behringer DEQ2496 EQ w/RTA Roadshow

I was thinking about your issue, jazzman, and it occurred to me that maybe the Behringer can't take the line level input that you get through the processor loop, and clips, so you were pumping bass square waves (lots of energy) into your woofers.  You might want to look at the input sensitivity of the Behringer to see what will clip the input op-amps.

• Thank You 1

Questions:
1.  Do you have the unit between the preamp and amp or in your preamp's external processor loop or tape loop?
2.  Are you using the analog inputs on the Behringer or bypassing the unit's internal DAC thru the digital inputs?   

Presently, I have the DEQ between my digital source and the preamp, analog in and out.

I was thinking about your issue, jazzman, and it occurred to me that maybe the Behringer can't take the line level input that you get through the processor loop, and clips, so you were pumping bass square waves (lots of energy) into your woofers.  You might want to look at the input sensitivity of the Behringer to see what will clip the input op-amps.

Thanks Bill
This stuff is all greek to me but the Behringer's specs for the analog inputs are:
Impedance:          22kohm @ 1khz
Max input level:   +12 or +22 dBu, switchable  (switch was set for +22 dBu)

Stickers

Questions:
1.  Do you have the unit between the preamp and amp or in your preamp's external processor loop or tape loop?
2.  Are you using the analog inputs on the Behringer or bypassing the unit's internal DAC thru the digital inputs?   

Presently, I have the DEQ between my digital source and the preamp, analog in and out.

<caveat> I don't own the Behringer</caveat>

that being said, I was looking into them when I decided on the Rane crossover; it's an extremely feature packed unit.  Some of the web searches I found said they thought the built in DAC was a bit on the clinical side, and recommended bypassing it or modding.  If you search, you'll find lots of mods for the Behringers

Stickers

that being said, I was looking into them when I decided on the Rane crossover; it's an extremely feature packed unit.  Some of the web searches I found said they thought the built in DAC was a bit on the clinical side, and recommended bypassing it or modding.  If you search, you'll find lots of mods for the Behringers

Rich, I take it you're referring to the DCX2496 crossover unit?

that being said, I was looking into them when I decided on the Rane crossover; it's an extremely feature packed unit.  Some of the web searches I found said they thought the built in DAC was a bit on the clinical side, and recommended bypassing it or modding.  If you search, you'll find lots of mods for the Behringers

Rich, I take it you're referring to the DCX2496 crossover unit?

I think so; it was a couple of years ago when I decided to go active.

Stickers

Thanks Rodney!! It was in the mail when I got home. I`ll get it set up this weekend and start to decipher all the functions. 

I've been running a DEQ2496 in front of my C1 preamp (in the C1's external processor loop) for a few weeks now.  It's a lot of fun to play with and I've only scratched the surface of all its features.  

Anyway, this morning I moved the DEQ from in front of the preamp and connected it between the preamp and my DBX analog crossover.  It sounds exactly the same whether in front or behind the preamp and the levels are easily adjusted in the Utility Menu and the input LED's on the DEQ show no clipping occurs when I crank up the throttle on the C1 to loud as hell.  This is good to know because if I want to upgrade to a digital crossover down the road I could then make a digital-to-digital connection between the DEQ and crossover; thus, avoiding another AD/DA conversion to the signal path :-)

Stickers

OK guy`s Sorry I haven`t been around between the "New"Job and being sick as a dog for two weeks eusa_shifty.gif. Who gets this Incredible unit next? I finally got a chance to use it and I must say I really do like the rta function. I had it inline and used it as a crossover and it worked pretty well. I still haven`t even touched All the functions on this unit. Thanks Harryfan for a really great roadshow piece!!

Harryfan I believe engatz is next inline. Let me know if thats correct and I will send it off to him. THanks!

Sorry engtaz, I missed your post earlier.  If you're still interested in trying it out, let us know and I'll have dokblues ship it to you.