track 11 Introduction to tracks 12, 13 and 14  
track 12 Noise bursts  
track 13 Music  
track 14 Holographically encoded music  
track 15 Stereo pink noise  

• Thank You 13

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

The printed instructions to my SH Holography Demonstration-Calibration Test Disc (CD) are tenaciously stuck together. The top halves of  pages have yielded to patient separating but the bottom halves  are losing print. I do not see the instructions in the Database. If it is available, please point me in the right direction.  Much obliged, friends.

Your question brought out more questions than answers from me LOL  Is this disk (assuming it was for the C400 preamp) a usable tool for the C-1? any one know?  I'm sure someone on here will have an answer to your question, and maybe mine too.

I would think so although 8, 9 and 10 wouldn't apply.

That disc did show up just how bad my hearing has become over the years and at some really odd frequencies, too - lows as well as highs. Curse that Craftsman air compressor, it really did a number on me one fateful day.

I would think so although 8, 9 and 10 wouldn't apply. That disc did show up just how bad my hearing has become over the years and at some really odd frequencies, too - lows as well as highs. Curse that Craftsman air compressor, it really did a number on me one fateful day.

Steve, are you sure the low note losses aren't just room-induced?
  • Thank You 1

How do I save the downloads on my hard drive? Using Windows Media Player, there's doesn't seem to be an option to save the file.

I presume this was pulled from a vinyl record and digitized, not pulled from a CD--correct?

How do I save the downloads on my hard drive? Using Windows Media Player, there's doesn't seem to be an option to save the file.

I presume this was pulled from a vinyl record and digitized, not pulled from a CD--correct?

...pretty certain is was from a CD.
To save, right-click on each link, then click on "Save Link As"
  • Thank You 1

When searching on the net, I did see a couple ads for a vinyl version as well.

John

Success!  THANK YOU!
  • Thank You 1

Listening to the CD and reading instructions that are legible. There is info in the booklet complementary to but  not in the audio tracks:
Track 1 Inroduction: Introduces  the C-4000 & congratulates you  on "the ultimate listening experience" afforded by SH. The recorded tracks will help set up the system with SH but will benefit users of ordinary playback equipment. Be sure to set your system controls to stereo operation!
Track 2 Loudspeaker Phasing Instructions: How to determine by listening to the track; how to correct. Even if you do not understand speaker phasing, one can just listen and know whether or not a problem needs attention.
Track 3 Absolute Phase: Ditto above.
Track 4 & 5 Frequency Response: tones to check speaker frequency response (and the listener's hearing!):  1 kHz, 15 kHz, 10 kHz tones–the 15kHz tone is very hard for me to hear unless close to & on axis to the speaker; ambient household & environmental noises compete. Yikes! Then: 5kHz, 100 Hz, 50 Hz. Then: 1000Hz, 24 Hz, 16 Hz. Check your subs, your hearing & room vibrations!
Track 6 Log Sweep: sci-fi spacecraft taking-off sound effect with  low-to-high frequency sweep. Cats think it is creepy.
Track 7 Electrical Balance: switch Stereo/Mono switch on & off; the sound volume should diminish in mono mode.
Track 8 Autocorrelator Adjustment: I hear nothing on this (using CT-7).
Track 9 Peak Unlimiter Adjustment: ditto above. Love  the name.
Track 10 Time Delay & Echo Density: nothing for the CT-7 to attend to. 
Track 11 Introduction to Tracks 12, 13 & 14: Designed to be used with SH; noise bursts on the left channel, then the right; these noise bursts are guides for adjusting speaker toe-in, speaker placement and optimum listening position (left-right, front-back). Properly set-up, the sound appears to be coming from over there (point 45 degrees out to the side), not from the speaker. Leaning the head towards the side of the speaker (leaning right with the tone only from the right speaker) shifts the image left towards the middle, between the speakers; leaning left shifts the sound, in this case,  towards the right speaker. Back in optimum position, the sound is way off to side, out there somewhere, definitely not from the speaker. This could be a party trick!
Track 13 Music
Track 14 Holographically encoded music: if you do not have SH.
Track 15 Pink Noise: Yes, but don’t know how to use this. Cannot read the instructions.

• 4 weeks later...
FWIW, I noticed in the service manuals for the TFM-75 and the PT1800/2400, in the "Packing" parts list, they include "Envelope, Hologram Test Disk". 

Did Carver Professional give away Sonic Holography CD's with their pro amps? Were there any Pro products that even used SH?

Or were they just using an overstock of those SH CD envelopes as *generic* envelopes, for the warranty card or something? Anybody still have the cards or envelope that originally came with their amp? 

• 1 year later...
BOSTON AUDIO SOCIETY           VOLUME 17            NUMBER 5

March 1989 BAS Meeting

"...ALVIN M. FOSTER PRODUCES A CD...FOR BOB CARVER..."

"...When Bob Carver first introduced his so-called Sonic Holography system, Al produced an LP test record designed to help people set up their playback systems to get maximum benefit from Sonic Holography. When supplies of the LP ran low recently, he decided to convert this basic product to CD and add some features. He had three goals: to have a CD product instead of an LP because sales of LPs are in such decline; to have a polarity ("absolute phase") test; and to include a useful battery of tests accurate enough to replace some expensive test equipment. Foster's LP and CD were designed to help people set up Sonic Holography correctly. However, it is very useful for setting up a normal stereo. In addition, the CD also provides most signals needed for testing your system. There are spot frequencies from 16 Hz to 15 kHz, a 20-20 kHz sine wave sweep , flatter than-usual stereo pink noise, inverted-polarity test—essentially everything the average audiophile needs...

The voiceover on the recording is Al Southwick, another BAS member...

..Contents of the CD Track 1 is a spoken introduction. Track 2 tests interchannel polarity using Al Southwick's voice recorded in and out of phase. This method was taken from the Shure V15 test records and is the best way that Al has found. However, he noted that David Hadaway's broadband noise is also very good. The third track is absolute polarity. The signal was a half wave-rectified sine wave with the negative half removed. You can view the signal with an oscilloscope. It is similar to that used in the Wood experiments to demonstrate the audibility of absolute polarity, as referred to Clark Johnsen in his book, The Wood Effect. The CBS test record uses a pulse for this test. Tracks 4, 5, and 6 are for checking frequency response and distortion. Track 4 has six spot frequencies from 50Hz to 15kHz, track 5 is 24 Hz (index 2) and 16 Hz (index 3), and track 6 is a 20Hz to 20kHz sine wave log sweep.

Track 7 is for electrical balance and was originally suggested by Peter Mitchell on Shoptalk. The left and right signals are out of phase so if you switch to mono and the preamp is electrically balanced, then you get a null. (This also depends on where in the circuit the balance control is relative to the mono switch: if it is after the blending of the two channels, then changing the balance will not change the depth of the null obtained.) In the Carver 4000 the balance controls are before the mono switch. Tracks 8-14 are primarily useful for setting up specific Carver products. Track 8 is autocorrelator adjustment, track 9 is peak-unlimiter adjustment, track 10 is for time delay and echo density. The Carver preamp can be used to add a simple delay, but too much sounds like a ringing spring. Track 11 is the introduction to tracks 12, 13, and 14. Track 12 is filtered noise bursts for setting up stereophony and sonic holography. Your head is in the right place when the sound bounces back and forth between the two speakers. The last test track contains stereo pink noise—two uncorrelated channels, from separate generators. Pink noise in almost all other test records is mono [and in at least one case, the Denon and HFN/RR I, is seriously inaccurate in the bass, and in other cases seems a bit off above 10 kHz; the Foster/Carver is flat across the audio band within 1 dB (±0.5)—all this according to the dbx RTA-1, which is accurate to within less than half that.—Pub] Stereo pink noise eliminates venetian-blind effects or comb filtering when feeding and measuring both speakers...Some pleasant drily recorded jazz (two versions) concludes this handy disc... 

...at the meeting, while we were playing the CD's 15kHz tone over the SF 2500s with their four 1/2-inch tweeters,

someone said "Turn it up, I can't hear it."

I reflexively—stupidly—did so and instantly cooked all of them.

I trust this word to the wise is sufficient."

• 6 months later...

Is it possible to get this CD as a download and burn it to a CD-R? As I really would love to have my Sonic Holography set up perfectly.

Thanks, Steven Level

What he said, that would be much appreciated.