New to the Forum

I am new to this forum. I have been a lurker for awhile.

I have been a Carver fan since the 1980s and have owned a fair number of Caver components.

Currently I have two each M1.0t & CT7 and one of each of the following; M1.5t, C-1, TX11a

My non Carver gear includes an extensive Sonos system with an large library of music ripped in FLAC format along with a pair of Martin Logan Request speakers, JBL 4311b monitors and a collection of ADS 300 speakers (both wood and metal cabinets) for non critical listening.  I also own a Velodyne UDL-15 subwoofer. I also have a Niles MSA-10 to distribute the output of one amp to up to 10 pairs of speakers. 

I am in the process of building a new log home and I am considering to replacing my Sony HT reciever with an Emotiva UMC-1 along with  Carver amp(s) and a to be acquired Martin Logan center speaker.  My last home had in wall speakers for the HT setup.

I was wondering if any forum members have had experience with Emotiva products.  It appears that this company is similar to what Carver Corporation was back in the day. The flexibility of the UMC-1 HT preamp at $699.99 is amazing and is the type of product that Carver Corp would have produced. Attractive price and great technology.  I am planning on sticking with Carver for my two channel music systems (I love the sound and look of the equipment) but I am looking at options for my HT setup.  Sunfire is currently out of my budget.

I have had my Caver Amps repaired several times in the past by both Carver/Sunfire in Snohomish Washington, by a couple of repair shops in the Seattle area with ex Carver employees.  I hope to be able to have the Mark II conversion done on at least one of my M1.0t amps.

This is a great forum even for those of us that don't have the skills to open the box and get out the soldering iron.

Thanks

Howdy Sanford and welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to become a member.
I haven't had hands-on experience with Emotiva products but they do get great reviews.
Good luck with your new log home.

Welcome Sanford, 

You have some very nice gear already.  How are you liking those curved ML electrostats?  

I have owned the Martin Logans from new since the late 1990s. My wife wanted the larger Monoliths at the time.  We love our Martin Logans.  Our prior primary speakers were the JBL 4311b studio montiors which we still have.  We both have a preference for speakers that are a little more open and brilliant than average.  The JBL monitors were called the California sound at the time.  Both of these speakers fit that bill.

I have been looking at getting a pair of B & W CM1 or CM2 for the den in our new home.

I tend to buy equipment and consider it a lifetime purchase.  I have one of my Niles MSA-10 speaker selectors for sale on ebay right now.  I am selling few items and buying a few items to fit the home we are building.   

Prior to owning Carver in the 1980s and since with HT receivers it bothers me when you have to throw out equipment that becomes uneconomical or impossible to repair. I am not a raging environmentalist but it bugs me to throw out something that if the manufacturer had spent more money in making the item that it would last three times longer. 

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum Sanford.  I am a fan of the B&W speakers.  I use original 602s in HT and Nautilus 805s in my two channel system.  I am not familiar with the CM1 but I looked at the specs/dimensions and it looks pretty small.  I would be concerned about inadequate bass response thus causing you to say dammit.  Listen to them first for sure and also listen to something a little bigger in size before you decide. 

Welcome Sanford. I am with Balok. Step up the B&Ws to the 800 series at least. Especially as you stated you keep your equipment forever. I use the 704s for 2 channel but they are very hard to find at the moment. Love em with the M-10t. Besides, I shopped a long time, and can still sell and get my money back.

I will probably look at some of the higher end B & W speakers also. The CM series are attractive to me because they will fit on a bookshelf and the boxes are conventional in design with flat sides. The space they are going into will be small. I am looking for something compact between my ADS speakers and my JBLs & Martin Logans in size. I believe these speakers still have the tweeters with the tuned tubes of the same design the from the higher end B & W speakers. I understand the bass limitations, but I would pair them with my Velodyne UDL-15 sub. I would assume that the small B & W speakers and Velodyne combination would work well.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Welcome aboard Sanford! Since you've been lurking a while, I'm sure you know there are a lot of good people here with a great deal of good advice.

Btw, really nice gear you've got.

I will probably look at some of the higher end B & W speakers also. The CM series are attractive to me because they will fit on a bookshelf and the boxes are conventional in design with flat sides. The space they are going into will be small. I am looking for something compact between my ADS speakers and my JBLs & Martin Logans in size. I believe these speakers still have the tweeters with the tuned tubes of the same design the from the higher end B & W speakers. I understand the bass limitations' date=' but I would pair them with my Velodyne UDL-15 sub. I would assume that the small B & W speakers and Velodyne combination would work well.

Thanks for the suggestion.[/quote']

Your right they would sound very good, but be careful if you upgrade to the M-10T mkII. No children I hope that would run the volume up. You will also find that they need some breathing space, or they will sound a little harsh on the treble.
  • Thank You 1

Welcome Sanford, 

You have some very nice gear already.  How are you liking those curved ML electrostats?  

My wife wanted the larger Monoliths at the time. 

How about that?  A wife that wanted the LARGER speakers, ya gotta love that as usually they want them so small that you can't see (or hear) them...welcome to the forum Sanford!

Yes I am fortunate.  My wife loves music and she can tell the difference in sound between speakers and will usually choose what I would pick.  If a smaller speaker were to sound the same she would pick it but she puts sound quality first and will decorate around what sounds the best. As for wanting the Monoliths, I stated that they were too big for the room and outside of the budget.  The Requests have been the better choice and have worked out great.  The Requests have the look of a piece of art or a modern musical instrument and have blended in well even though they are large in size and probably not acceptable to many spouses.

Welcome to the forum Sanford. You are safe here within our growing Carver powered ML owners community. I have the Sources and even my mother who hates anything stereo absolutely loves the way they look in my Bauhaus livingroom. Modern art indeed that also happens to sound incredible. Your wife has good taste!

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

I would normally post pictures of my system but much of my equipment is in storage while we are building our new home.  I am currently using a CT-7, my M1.0t and my martin logans and a 42" plasma tv and DVD player in my rental home's living room.

I also have some of my Sonos gear with my ADS speakers setup in the bedrooms and office.

We should be breaking ground on our garage/guest house within the next 90 days.  We are in a varaiance application period for our main house as it is located close to the beach.  We hope to break ground on the main house by the end of summer providing all goes well.  We will be moving into the guest house late summer as our lease on our rental home ends on September 1.

I know that I should probably post this on the modfication forum, but I was wondering what the specifications are for the blue leds that some members have used in their amps and C-1.  We are going to have some blue colored ourdoor lighting I would like to put the blue leds in some of my Carver equipment.  I had the cover of my C-1 open last night and it looked like changing the led would be a project within the range of my skills. I would also like where to buy these leds.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

....I was wondering what the specifications are for the blue leds that some members have used in there amps and C-1. ...I would also like where to buy these leds.

Some members have used THESE BLUE LEDs. Spec are listed on the catalog page.

• Thank You 1

I measured the voltage across the existing LED in the C-1 and it was 1.9 volts.

It appears that the specs for the LED specified is 4 volts.  I assume that the replacement resistor increases the voltage to the LED?

Also the company that lists the LED only shows a 470 ohm 1/2 watt resistor. I also assume that the 470 ohm resistor will work in place of a 480 ohm resistor? 

Sorry for all of the questions, but this will be my first mod to any stereo equipment and I want to get it right.  A couple of times previously I have successfully repaired cold solder joints in audio/video gear.  This project looks like it is something I can attempt.

Thanks again.