Sign in to follow this  
B-Man

Road Show Shipping Advice

Guys -

I live in a very rural area. As such, our "post office" is a private contractor store, and it is also a UPS shipping facility.

I went this morning to ship the tube buffer back to Rich. Box data is 19" x 19" x 8", 9 lbs.

The nice lady tells me it will be $50.78 via UPS Ground, $54.65 USPS. I say WOW, it sure is expensive to ship anymore.

Anyway, I paid her and drove home, fuming about the ridiculous cost. When I arrived home, I took her UPS ticket and went to the UPS site and plugged the data into their shipping calculator. To my surprise, it came back with $19.45.

I did the same on the USPS site and it came back with $31.65 for Priority Mail.

I printed both pages and drove back to the "post office". When I told her what I saw on-line, she told me there must be some mistake. But she went ahead and retrieved the package and put it back on the scales as if it were to be a new shipment.

Imagine her surprise when the UPS price came back $21.45 ($2 "handling" charge added to UPS cost). She can't believe it so she pulls it off and sets it on the USPS scale. That price came back $31.65, exactly what I printed off.

She still doesn't believe it so she tries it again on both systems, each time getting the same results.

Anyway, I was given a refund of the difference and the tube buffer is on it's way to Rich.

I thought I should share that it might be a good idea to check your shipping data online before you go to a post office or UPS store. That way you will have a rough estimate of cost, just in case this were to happen to you.
  • Thank You 3

Stickers

Guest bevador

Thanks for the tip! I rarely ship but when I do I never check the cost online. I just trust the carrier. I will be sure to check in the future.

I do a lot of shipping. I always compare on-line, and print postage/label at home. It's easy and cheaper. USPS picks up for free(Priority and Express), too! 'Course I have two scales, three tape guns and several tape measures at hand.

Stickers