snow

Roadshow amp trade

I have noticed a number of questions regarding how one amp versus another sounds lately, is anyone interested in doing a roadshow type amp trade? just a thought here but it would allow members who have never heard a particular model amp or a model that has been modded to compare to what they currently own, this may get people who were on the fence about getting a modded amp to perhaps make their mind up quickly which could prove to be good for both the member and the person modding it and or a member after listening to a certain model deciding if they want one modded or not.

Rules would have to be talked about and decided on before this began so there are no misunderstandings as to who has what amp and how long they get to keep it before returning it or trading it for a different model or who pays shipping and what type of shipping etc, for instance it would not be fair to receive an amp that was shipped priority mail to you returned via parcel post etc.

It could be done a number of ways either strictly between two members only  sending each other an amp or with multiple members all sending out amps and receiving a different model each time they ship one on to the next fellow in line, this way everyone has a chance to listen to several different amps modded or not and hopefully will always have one to listen too until their original amp returns home.

If anyone wants to play musical amps please reply to this thread with your ideas of how to do this so everyone is happy with the result.

For example I have an un modded M200t that I would be willing to send out in trade for a M1.0t amp modded or not or a M4.0t  or a TFM-42 TFM-45 or a Carver cube etc pretty much anything I have not been able to listen too before for a pre set period of time. I think it would likely cost me roughly $50.00 to send it anywhere in the US priority mail and most likely in the $75.00 range to send the person trading theirs back to them so a 2 way shipping cost estimate would likely be in the $125.00 or so total range for both of us.

REGARDS SNOW 

"2 way shipping cost estimate would likely be in the $125.00 or so total range for both of us."... seems like a good idea but cost nearly prohibits it. A 1.0t just went for $250 shipped on ebay and most of the amps we are talking about are around $350. Personally I wouldn't pay $50 to ship an amp that cost $300 just to hear another in that price range. If you are dealing with a Sunfire or TFM-55 or so, it may work though. Just my 2 cents.

Very interesting idea!

I will have an M1.0t out on loan soon leaving me with just one M1.0t which would be tough to give up for a roadshow swap. I do have a Hafler SE120 that I could swap for any modified Carver model (besides the M1.0t). I would also be willing to consider just about any other interesting brand or model of anything that someone wants to offer up.

As far as Carver amps go, I'm only interested in modified models other than the M1.0t. If we can get this idea off the ground I will eventually (Feb/Mar) have another modified M1.0t to roadshow swap for just about any other modified Carver amp. 

"2 way shipping cost estimate would likely be in the $125.00 or so total range for both of us."... seems like a good idea but cost nearly prohibits it. A 1.0t just went for $250 shipped on ebay and most of the amps we are talking about are around $350. Personally I wouldn't pay $50 to ship an amp that cost $300 just to hear another in that price range. If you are dealing with a Sunfire or TFM-55 or so, it may work though. Just my 2 cents.

I agree that shipping costs may well prove to be too much, at least to and from my location, one would have to really want to try an item out to make it work. It  may be an option for the folks living in the lower 48 states where shipping is cheaper but even then it may not be viable.

REGARDS SNOW

Very interesting idea!

I will have an M1.0t out on loan soon leaving me with just one M1.0t which would be tough to give up for a roadshow swap. I do have a Hafler SE120 that I could swap for any modified Carver model (besides the M1.0t). I would also be willing to consider just about any other interesting brand or model of anything that someone wants to offer up.

As far as Carver amps go, I'm only interested in modified models other than the M1.0t. If we can get this idea off the ground I will eventually (Feb/Mar) have another modified M1.0t to roadshow swap for just about any other modified Carver amp. 

As Kingman stated earlier the costs of shipping amps to and from may be more than most want to attempt but if anyone wants to give it a shot feel free to work out whatever details you want between each other, if at all possible in this thread or a new thread so there are no surprises or disappointments between the interested parties.

REGARDS SNOW 

I don't trust shippers to be nice to the amps....insurance or not.

I agree that one would have to be willing to take that risk when shipping that it may not come back in the condition it left and to pack to survive and cross your fingers.

But I have shipped thousands of items without damage so I would feel comfortable risking it on my end as long as it wasnt UPS happy0009.gif

REGARDS SNOW 

I agree Dennis !!

The moron that shipped the C-1 to me for Travis literally wrapped it with a single layer of that skinny-ass bubble wrap and put it in a box that was "cut to fit" and taped up.

There was NO clearance between the bubble wrap, the C-1 and the box.

How it made it here in as good shape as it did is a mystery to me... 

Stickers

Why not just host a Carver party?

I'd be willing to host one. I have 7 acres of land out in the country (no zone ordinances) and about a year's supply of bonfire wood. You gotta tent, 5th wheel, etc come on out and bring some gear and a few extension cords.

Great idea! Don't forget the keg!eusa_dance.gif