TNRabbit

Douglas Connection Roadshow

I've spoken with Doug, who has less than 200 posts, so I'll be heading this up.  We've determined that it would be prudent to wait until after the holidays, so the cables will go out after Jan 1st, 2013.

The following will be included:

• 1 pair of 9 AWG speaker cable
  • 1 pair of 12 AWG Bi-Wire speaker cables
  • 2 pair of analog interconnects
  • 1 digital interconnect
  • 2 power cables yet to be determined

I'll post pics of everything when they go out.
I have one person on the list now; anyone else who'd like to be in, please state so & PM me with your address.

RULES:

1.  Keep the cables no longer than 2 weeks.
2.  Insure the package for $500 to cover the costs in case of loss/damage.
3.  Post a review in this thread when you've completed your audition.

I'll notify the current holder of the next person's address via PM, email, or phone.  For any of our Canadian folks, I'd prefer to move these across the border & back ONCE to simplify & keep shipping costs down, so we'll combine you all together in line if necessary.

I'll bump this thread in January when the cables have gone out.

Doug has been slammed over the past few weeks with orders & is playing catchup. Recently, someone from CarverAudio had their amp in the shop & decided to send his cables along on a road show while it's gone. So those are making the rounds

Doug is trying to get a full set of ICs, speaker cables, & power cord(s?) out soon for this road show. I'll let you all know when it gets rolling.

stereo_dog, consider yourself added to the list.

Anyone else who'd like to get in on this roadshow, please post in this thread (will be used to determine order) & PM me your mailing address.

As it stands now:

1. galaxyoilcan

2. stereo_dog

3. ?

If I've missed anyone who also asked before, please PM me.

FYI: I first spoke about Doug's cables in this thread from last year: http://thecarversite.com/yetanotherforum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=7179

Please add me to the list, as well.  One of my AQ ICs has an intermittent problem, and I'd like to see how much the electrons really care about cables before replacing/upgrading.  For the longest time I thought it was the C-1 that was flakey--should have known better!

Please add me to the list, as well. One of my AQ ICs has an intermittent problem, and I'd like to see how much the electrons really care about cables before replacing/upgrading. For the longest time I thought it was the C-1 that was flakey--should have known better!

Not sure what Audioquest IC you have but I have heard that the ground wire tends to break easy in some some if their models and cause a slight hum. IIRC its normally around the RCA plugs where this happens. A touch of solder in the right place clears that up .

Please add me to the list, as well.  One of my AQ ICs has an intermittent problem, and I'd like to see how much the electrons really care about cables before replacing/upgrading.  For the longest time I thought it was the C-1 that was flakey--should have known better!

Not sure what Audioquest IC you have but I have heard that the ground wire tends to break easy in some some if their models and cause a slight hum. IIRC its normally around the RCA plugs where this happens. A touch of solder in the right place clears that up .

"Sidewinder".  This isn't hum--but it is at the RCA.  The level drops drastically or completely, and just resting your hand on the preamp, or touching the cable near the connector, brings it back.  It would seem like a hairline break or cold solder joint.

Thanks for all the interest in our cables.  Big Grin  Starting to get caught up now, and will concentrate on these cables over the next few days.  Hope to have everything ready to ship by the end of this coming week so we can get this road show started.  

• Thank You 1

Thanks for all the interest in the road show guys.  Working on finishing up the power cables this weekend, and will ship out to galaxyoilcan on Monday or Tuesday.  galaxyoilcan please PM me your address.  

OK here is the list so far.  
1. galaxyoilcan  
2. stereo_dog
3. peck555
4. DaveStL
5. oldtexasdog
6. ? 

I would like to be in, please, but at the absolute tail end.
Lots of bills are worrying me at the moment and I don't want to tempt myself.

OK will keep you at the end.  Right now you are number 6, which will be about 3 months away.

OK here is the list so far.  
1. galaxyoilcan  
2. stereo_dog
3. peck555
4. DaveStL
5. oldtexasdog
6. SteveFord

The Road Show is under way.  I shipped the box out to GalaxyOilCan today.  Here's what's in the box:
1. 1 Alpha 14 Power Cable
2. 1 Bravo 10 Power Cable
3. 1 Pair of 12/4 Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
4. 1 Pair of Regular 9/2 Speaker Cables
5. 2 pair Analog Interconnects RCA to RCA
6. 1 pair Balanced Interconnects XLRF to XLRM
7. 1 Digital Interconnect Cable RCA to RCA
8. Accessory Pack which includes polishing cloths for the copper speaker cable connectors, Deoxit and Deoxit Gold individual packs, and RCA cleaning tools.  Please use only what you need, and send the rest on when you are finished with your audition. 

Photos below:

Alpha 14 Power Cable
20130211145620776.jpg 

Bravo 10 Power Cable
20130211145746599.jpg 

1 Pair of 12/4 Bi-Wire Speaker Cables 
20130211145913993.jpg

1 Pair of Regular 9/2 Speaker Cables 
20130211150200734.jpg 

2 pair Analog Interconnects RCA to RCA 
20130211150340497.jpg 

1 pair Balanced Interconnects XLRF to XLRM 
20130211150522342.jpg 

1 Digital Interconnect Cable RCA to RCA 
20130211150652394.jpg 

Accessory Pack
20130211153150747.jpg 
 OK, that's what's in the box.  You will have 2 weeks to audition these cables before you will be expected to send them on to the next participant. I hope you will enjoy having our quality cables in your system. When you have finished your audition, please give a review here on the Carversite.

Please check the Packing List and make sure everything is packed in the box before sending on to the next participant in the road show.

I have a lot tied up in this, so Please ship by USPS Priority Mail, FedEx, or UPS with tracking number, insured for $1500.00, and Signature required.

I went to L.A. Wednesday for a friends birthday party and got smashed as planned. I stayed overnight to recover before retuning to San Diego this afternoon (seems to take much longer these days). On the way home I had developed a long-drive-with-a-hangover headache. Then my son tells me I received a package just a couple hours after I had left for L.A. the day before. I saw the box in the corner, but didn't take the time to inspect it just then. I took a couple more aspirin and a nap instead.emcrook.gif

I woke up about dinner time in no mood to Chef-it-up, so I just threw a frozen lasagna in the oven. I went over to the corner to take a closer look at the package. When I saw the box label I knew that it was the long awaited Carversite I.C. roadshow from Douglas Connection and started to get very excited.eusa_dance.gif

Upon opening the box I discovered several well packed and neatly coiled cables in zip lock bags with  a printout inside each (except the balanced connectors). The printouts had color images of the cables with detailed descriptions and specifications. The first thing you see in the box on top of the cables is a letter from Doug with details about the roadshow and an inventory of the contents. emthup.gif

As I began to remove the cables from the box each set seemed prettier than the one before. The weight of these cables and the quality of the materials lets you know you have your hands on something good. emteeth.gif

I can't wait to try these cables on my main system and my tube system to listen for any differences, but I will begin with the power cables as I have been more skeptical about any audible improvements a power cord could deliver. I will try them on some recently acquired Sunfire gear. I have a Theater Grand Processor II that will get the Alpha 14 cord and a Cinema Grand Signature amp will get the huge Bravo 10 cord. Both of these power cords seem like major overkill considering they will no doubt outperform the wiring in the wall that will be feeding them (probably even the wire from the power pole that's feeding the house). happy0009.gif

Next I'll replace the stock analog RCA cords connecting the the Sunfire TGP II to the CG Sig amp with a pair of the Douglas RCA connectors and try and discern any improvement there. After a good review those will also then be replaced by the beautiful Douglas balanced connectors and we'll see if any further improvements  are possible with them. eusa_think.gif

After that I'll replace the stock RCA cables from the CD deck with the Douglas RCA cables and see if I can hear any difference there. Once I have had a decent review of the Douglas analog RCA connectors I'll replace them with the Douglas digital RCA cable to see if it sounds any better. emwink.gif

The stock speaker wire will be the last thing on this system to be be replaced with the Douglas cables and by then I should have a pretty good handle on any improvements my ears can detect in the overall audio quality of this set up that are attributable to the Douglas connectors and wires. 14.gif 

Stay tuned for the results. msp_thumbup.gif

Is this still going on or am I too late?  I would love to try even just ICs and speaker cables to see what kind of improvement over the nicer cables from Monoprice and similar is possible.  Never having tried this it's kind of hard to imagine it, even from the incredible posts by GeneC and PapaJoe among others.