Professional methods for record care and use

RichP714

• Community Admin

I still can't see myself pouring glue on a LP. I'll stick with my VPI 16 and my Audio Intelligent Fluid.

It is a last-resort, I think. Done it, but it is time consuming, and not practical for, say 100 records "just to do it."   But for a critical LP in a collection, it's a good choice/alternative to tossing the LP and replacing it.  There's a number of YouTube videos that show the process.  In perspective, it is an option that has its place.
  • Thank You 1

Ultrasonic appears to be at the peak of cleaning, at least that would be my impression.

I watched a lady scrub some old and dirty records that came out of a jukebox. Man, the things you see out there. Too late to tell her different. 
  • Ut Oh 1

• 3 years later...

+And now, I AM cleaning records. Before I start this rant, I must admit that I feel that I am in the dark about the "miracle record cleaner" by Disc Doctor. Yup, bought the extra strength formula. 16 Oz. bottle they said. Shipment arrived, and looked to have maybe 1 Oz. of concentrate in it. Called the company and eventually was told all you do is add 15 Oz. of distilled water. Absolutely nowhere in any of the info (none was even sent with the shipment) online or otherwise is it stated about adding 15 Oz. of distilled water. Whoops there goes my rant.

So, I got a couple of used LP's in the mail. One of them in fact stated that it had been cleaned with the fluid mentioned above in a very meticulous way, So I did not clean it and played it. Wow, talk about surface noise. Sounded like an old 78. Ok, bit once. Second used album was not cleaned beforehand, and I figured hey let's try out the new miracle stuff. Somewhat less noise than the first one. Point here, I likely will NOT be buying any more used albums. Nah, just pay the piper and be happy with the reliable results.

• That Rocks 1

Rod,

I used a 'miracle record cleaner' on these LP, expecting, yes, yes, a miracle. My faith is diminished. Maybe not so much in the cleaner as the grading scale used that starts with VG=run over by truck, EX=only skips in few spots to NM- ,NM, and some others I am sure have a code all their own. The album that I bought was NM- apparently this means 'considerable surface noise, but NOT run over by truck.' Good to know. 

Now just because it's me, let me add the following FUBAR- true to it's name. I been noticing that the cartridge doesn't sound like I expected, nor does it track properly on some albums, even new albums. Of course, that led me to investigate. Short story, WRONG counterweight came with TT! Actually 2 counterweights came w/TT, NiETHER of them correct for this cartridge! Sigh. GOD when does it stop with this shit? 

So, a guy in Vienna, Austria has the right counterweight and it will be here someday. At least I have a reason for the tracking problem. I'm not pissed, just tired.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, 4krow said:

+And now, I AM cleaning records. Before I start this rant, I must admit that I feel that I am in the dark about the "miracle record cleaner" by Disc Doctor. Yup, bought the extra strength formula. 16 Oz. bottle they said. Shipment arrived, and looked to have maybe 1 Oz. of concentrate in it. Called the company and eventually was told all you do is add 15 Oz. of distilled water. Absolutely nowhere in any of the info (none was even sent with the shipment) online or otherwise is it stated about adding 15 Oz. of distilled water. Whoops there goes my rant.

So, I got a couple of used LP's in the mail. One of them in fact stated that it had been cleaned with the fluid mentioned above in a very meticulous way, So I did not clean it and played it. Wow, talk about surface noise. Sounded like an old 78. Ok, bit once. Second used album was not cleaned beforehand, and I figured hey let's try out the new miracle stuff. Somewhat less noise than the first one. Point here, I likely will NOT be buying any more used albums. Nah, just pay the piper and be happy with the reliable results.

Here you go, it's only money. 🙂

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa6g27-degritter-ultrasonic-record-cleaner-cleaning-systems

• Thank You 1

Manual cleaning has it's attraction in some ways, but really, as I wipe the debree from the records surface, I think that a lot of it just gets pushed around. 

The steam cleaning system makes me wince. Duh, its vinyl.

Ok, ok, so the ultrasonic system really does make the most sense to me, always has. Then there is the money thing. I would like to think that getting a decent sized tank and a rotor for the record would do, but again, it is not likely that simple. How many transducers are in the tank, and where are they located? What is the frequency (I was asked that at gunpoint once, and answered, I dunno, once or twice a week?) best for this job? I am sure that one product remains better than others. In fact, too much of this US stuff and damage to the album could result! Wouldn't THAT be a kick in the pants.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

On 2/26/2021 at 7:47 PM, 4krow said:

Then there is the money thing.

Are you trying to launder money, now?

The official answer on how frequently, is every time before you play the record.  The reality is, of course, much less, as we are all human (though many would except me from that).

There are some fantastic DIY designs out there for ultrasonic units that limit the cost.  The key is to start with a unit that has a large and deep enough tub to get the full groove area into the liquid.  Starting with an off the shelf ultrasonic unit will ease the need to worry about transducer position - though if you are as pedantic as most of us, you'll likely strip the unit down to see if you can optimise them.  

And yes, you don't want some massive, industrial US cleaner that's going to flatten out and smooth the grooves on you.  That really would be a kick, and not to the rear, either.  :D

Why can't my dishwasher (not DISC washer) have a record cycle? No heated drying though. They don't need to be sanitized, and come out like a Salvador Dali experience.

• Haha 2

You need to put a thermostatic control valve on the hot water input. Limit it to 110F

Clamp your LPs with rubber or silicone seals to protect the labels.

Make sure you have Jet-dry in for the rise cycle.

Disable the dry cycle heater.

It's a DIY thing....

Just now, RodH said:

It's a DIY thing....

Hmmmm...  You might be onto something, there, Rod!   Now were would I put a used dishwasher, and can I get one in the Carver Anodized grey...?

• Haha 1

My father was one of the original old school audiophiles.

Home made tube amps and pres, home made speakers. Reel to reel decks and original belt drive turntables. 

And he did convert a dish washer into a disc washer....

• That Rocks 1

Yes I have played with the wood glue for the fun of it but my current method includes:

1.  5 minutes ultrasound on the kirmus

2.  Brush clean with my own formula followed by 5 minute ultrasound 

3.  Repeat step 2 three times

4. Physical cleaning with microfiber

5.  Rinse and vacuum with VPI vacuum

6.  Carbon fiber brush

7.  Milty zerostat gun

8.  Placed in Mofi Master Sleeve

9.  Write the date of cleaning on the sleeve

10.  Repeat annually or as necessary 

20210303_111313.jpg

Edited by chiroacademy
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 3

My process is an obsession.   I can't help it or explain it.  It takes much longer to clean, recondition my records than it does to play them.  A bit over the top? Yes but I only do this process only once per year per album.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Actually, I don't go to that extent, yet I do ask myself questions about how I am cleaning, what I am using, and more. If you look at cleaning vinyl in respect to cleaning optics, then it makes sense. In other words, don't try to really clean something with a dirty cloth.

@chiroacademy, out of curiosity, do you have "cleaning days, where you go through a bunch of albums in a go, or is it more clean-and-play?

Also, since you are only doing the major cleaning about once per year, what do you do if you play an album in between major cleanings.

And I do admire your setup for this!~^

3 hours ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

@chiroacademy, out of curiosity, do you have "cleaning days, where you go through a bunch of albums in a go, or is it more clean-and-play?

Also, since you are only doing the major cleaning about once per year, what do you do if you play an album in between major cleanings.

And I do admire your setup for this!~^

I clean when I first buy an album and when I want to listen to it again and it has been over a year since the last cleaning.  I use a carbon fiber in between cleanings and zero Stat if needed.

• That Rocks 1

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Absolutely outstanding<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I just ordered the Vinyl stack to make cleaning much easier for me, and also the PVA sponge, as this was a concern of mine for drying.

Important to note: After just skimming through the paper, I was glad that my instinct about NOT playing an album until I could receive the new stylus that I ordered, seems to be on track, after looking at the magnified photos of albums before and after damage.

There is such important information here that helps me understand what I am up against, and how far to take the cleaning process (at this stage, I will be trusting the fluid that I will be using, noting that this may change in the future). 

• Thank You 1

For the memory of my old friend Jack Cozzens, and all that he did for me when I was very young.

This is the 50th ann. repressing of the first album that I ever owned. Jack gave it to me, but it got lost in the shuffle somewhere in time. I am not big into this kind of stuff, but then it is a tribute to someone who led me well. It will not be played until I feel that it can be properly treated/cleaned early next week.

P3040011.JPG

• 3 months later...

https://www.perfectvinylforever.com 

Oh sure, Let's up the anty a bit as it were. PVF >>> Perfect Vinyl Forever <<< offers to clean your records using ultra sound cleaning. One frequency for cleaning, and a higher frequency for rinsing. Then a triple filtered drying follows. I will try to insert their web address here, but of course you can Google it. At $5 each for cleaning, I am sending in 16 of my best albums to give it a shot. Read all of what is involved before you wince like I did. They send you a special mailer with their record sleeves, and special spacers to put between each album. You pack and send it to them and wait. Might be a week before they are returned. TOTAL cost for 16 albums cleaned and shipped = $110.

• Thank You 3

On 2/26/2021 at 6:01 PM, 4krow said:

GOD when does it stop with this shit? 

It doesn't, my friend - it's an ever deepening bottomless pit of audio perpetuity, with an every so slight touch of nirvana every once in a while, along the way.   :D

My advice is stop listening to the wallet, hang on tight, and enjoy the ride!!!!   :)

• Haha 1