Daddyjt

DaddyJT's home theater

This is a highly addictive place to hang out. Since joining here, I've acquired both sets of kappa 9s, the AL IIIs, AL Silvers, Kappa 8.1s, and the kappa 5s.

I blame Gene for the hole in my wallet, but it's not all him (but he IS the biggest contributor... NOT the guy to call if you want someone to talk you out of buying something...!)

That's pretty impressive work for a 2 year period!! I think I need to introduce Gene to my wife eusa_dance.gif 

That's pretty impressive work for a 2 year period!! I think I need to introduce Gene to my wife eusa_dance.gif 

LOL! I take it she wears the pants and pays the bills? happy0009.gif emwink.gif

No, actually the Judge does since he's in her corner emsmileo.gif

LOL! I take it she wears the pants and pays the bills? happy0009.gif emwink.gif

LOL....She just has her priorities mixed up. She thinks building the house is more important that securing Carver amps and many sets of massive speakers eusa_wall.gif
  • Haha 1

Wow - this thread has been neglected something fierce.

the move from MT to UT pretty much killed my listening space. I made due with a corner of the unfinished basement for the past while, but that space is earmarked for my sons new room.  I had to clear it out this weekend to get the construction under way, and I thought a few photos of my “mothballed” gear piles would elicit a giggle or two... this is just my personal “usable” gear, NOT THE stuff awaiting service/mods...

12746832-D429-405B-B10F-867B1233C21C.jpeg

26F4C716-6B77-40F5-8861-A4FEFF4FCF21.jpeg

75756CC5-A0B4-4C95-B364-77DF9C242BE3.jpeg

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Well here we are, just about one year after construction started, and the basement is starting to come together. 

When I had the chance to have Tim over last week we needed a space to set some gear up, so we ended up using the future theater room. I have been messing around, throwing systems together in there all week, to the point that my wife actually asked “I thought this was going to be a theater room, not a music room” (God bless her for knowing the difference!).  Yes, it will eventually be the theater. In fact, I got the tv on the wall today, and it still works! (It hasn’t been plugged in since the move 3 years ago). 

I also tried out the B&W bookies I bought for a steal a couple years ago.  They sound really nice, but the sub needs a much better fine-tuning. 

Tonight also marked the debut of the 10 Octave preamp into my system. My mistake was putting a pair of speakers I’ve never really listened to, AND a preamp I’ve never listened to into the system at the same time. I was hearing a lot of things I liked, but I need to use the pre with speakers I know, and vise versa with the B&Ws. (I will be doing a full review on the 10 Octave soon!)

9890386E-86B1-4108-880B-25344FE04EFB.jpeg

I also snapped this while I had all the speakers out. This is all the towers, except the Mirage (in my sons room) and the NHT S4 (in the upstairs family room).  I doubt I’ll wrangle all the bookies for a group photo, lol. 

5DEDAC2A-0A5C-49C9-AB60-F1C84C0A9CC6.jpeg

• That Rocks 6

25 minutes ago, DrummerJuice said:

I recognize a few of those but could you list what can see here from left to right? :)

Left to right: Carver ALIII, NHT 2.5i, Polk LS70, Klipsch RF7, Legacy Focus 20/20, Infinity Kappa 9, and Polk SDA SRS 1.2.

• That Rocks 1

1 hour ago, Daddyjt said:

Left to right: Carver ALIII, NHT 2.5i, Polk LS70, Klipsch RF7, Legacy Focus 20/20, Infinity Kappa 9, and Polk SDA SRS 1.2.

Thanks! I was right about all but the Legacy Focus! :) Which one is your favourite with a M-500t?

That’s a tough call. For flat-out stunning sound, the Klipsch with a 500t is pure magic, BUT only with about 5% of my music. The pairing is SO transparent, that poor or even fair recordings are completely underwhelming. However, with superb source material, the duo is dazzling. 

For the other 95%, either the Legacy’s or the NHTs. 

The Kappas are awesome, but it takes a pair of 1.0t mkII to stretch their legs. 

• That Rocks 1

2 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

...And I got to hear most of them.  :b--.  In fact, I was so impressed by the little NHT 2.5i I bought a pair and matching surrounds and center. 

It’s been 3.5 LONG years since I’ve had a home theater set up.  This was self induced, to an extent. My last 3 houses had spaces dedicated to a home theater, but all had significant shortcomings. Therefore, when we had our last move, I insisted on an unfinished basement.  I wanted to build the theater I wanted - and as you’ll see from the photos, I’m not talking knock-down drag out, no holds bared - just a nice, comfortable place to enjoy films and surround encoded music.  Well, one thing led to another, and it took me 2.5 years to start construction. I see you doing the math, and yes, you are correct - I have been working on the basement for just over a year.  I know, that’s a long time.  However, in that year, I’ve added a full bathroom, three full bedrooms (17x14, 12x14, 21x12 and all w/ walk in closets), and a huge (28x17 w/ kitchenette) family room. I also removed the sliding door entry into the basement and replaced it with a double-swing French door.  In all, I’ve added 1,800 finished sq’ to the house. 

The new home theater came together this past week, and we christened it this past weekend with a John Wick marathon.  The room is still not as large as I’d like, but it’s as big as it can be, without making major compromises in other room(s).  The rack is temporary (until I can build the one I want), as is the amplifier compliment. The position of the window on the back wall prevented me from using all four of the Klipsch RS7 surrounds (They’re BIG), so I used my trusty old Polk LS F/X for the rear surrounds.  I was going to add the second Velodyne DD18, but good lord - the first one is set at volume 36 (out of 100) after about an hour and a half setting the room correction parametric eq. And it shakes the room. And the plates in the cabinets upstairs. And the pictures on the walls in the guest room next door. 

The sound is AMAZING. Well worth the wait....:-)

10FA0431-D7EF-4769-89B4-217AAEE33BB8.thumb.jpeg.2ddd05bce02e9a3ffdf98efcd0a1d04b.jpeg

1C5FB163-A0BF-4284-B038-848CB429E766.thumb.jpeg.342ad0896fc455a8b2145f8e9319b3a8.jpeg

C1ABB8C8-9FFD-498B-8983-BFA9A024CBA3.thumb.jpeg.0bd893d224ed5307348b21272941e236.jpeg

ACE0056F-ECB5-4B75-BB0A-27E9C68C1ECB.thumb.jpeg.0c2dc8b9e7056843b050b30189fa3716.jpeg

3A336545-0D9E-4CEF-A795-F58CE82B1CDA.thumb.jpeg.769abba32ca545bd299e7f732ee4eaa6.jpeg

DB8157D5-0D98-47DB-9A11-8FAD02C6582F.thumb.jpeg.0ad5f2235482407522547b949566c818.jpeg

D9BA013B-9BFA-4177-9F36-4D29DBC017D5.thumb.jpeg.da819ebe234cd71ac08cccaf0a726b50.jpeg

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 6
  • Love this! 2

14 minutes ago, Daddyjt said:

we christened it this past weekend with a John Wick marathon

Congrats Mark!  It looks incredible!  Perfect way to christen it.

I expect a steady stream of movie reviews, now!  |-|

• Thank You 1