Daddyjt

DaddyJT's home theater

I'd like to watch U-571... with both Velodyne DD-18s. 

Oh, and Saving Private Ryan,

Oh, and Top Gun,

Oh, and Days of Thunder,

Oh, and ... :D

• Haha 3

Mark,

I can't wait until the next time I can drop by and have a listen. The place looks great.

P.S.

Still feeling guilty for all the work you put in to making my last visit/listening session happen.

• Thank You 2

2 hours ago, loner_t said:

Glad to see that I am not the only one who has three different versions of LoTR (DVD, DVD-Extended, BD). 😜

Yea, about that...

Star Wars is probably my worst - regular dvd, special edition dvd, box set dvd, blu Ray, and I still have my laserdisc box set, lol. 

1 hour ago, Sk1Bum said:

I'd like to watch U-571... with both Velodyne DD-18s. 

Oh, and Saving Private Ryan,

Oh, and Top Gun,

Oh, and Days of Thunder,

Oh, and ... :D

Saving Private Ryan will be up very soon... as will U571!

And Bad Boys II.

And Bohemian Rhapsody.

• That Rocks 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Daddyjt said:

Yea, about that...

Star Wars is probably my worst - regular dvd, special edition dvd, box set dvd, blu Ray, and I still have my laserdisc box set, lol. 

Saving Private Ryan will be up very soon... as will U571!

And Bad Boys II.

And Bohemian Rhapsody.

The scene where Neo and Trinity are saving Morpheus from Agent Smith  & crew in The Matrix always blows me away too... the chain guns, brass hitting the pavement, the helicopter,... I've only heard it on a 5.2 system,  and I'd love to hear it on an 11.2 or Atmos system. 

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, PhilDent said:

Mark,

I can't wait until the next time I can drop by and have a listen. The place looks great.

P.S.

Still feeling guilty for all the work you put in to making my last visit/listening session happen.

I still feel guilty for not putting more work into preparing for our visit;-)

you're welcome any time!

• Thank You 1

6 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

Did you forget the three different versions of VHS tape sets? 😆

• Haha 1

Stickers

Nice library room!  I like your setup of the room, nice, clean, and comfortable.........grin

• That Rocks 1

Stickers

Mark, being in UT now, maybe get your ears on some Tekton's. I love, love LOVE my Pendragon's. I had my friend Dennis Conroy over yesterday after work and he said he could just get lost in the sound. I'd sell all my speakers, for more Tekton's. That is until I can afford Wilson's. 

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 4

22 hours ago, loner_t said:

Glad to see that I am not the only one who has three different versions of LoTR (DVD, DVD-Extended, BD). 😜

I have my favorite Hunt for Red October on VHS, Beta, 8mm, Laserdisc, DVD, and BluRay.......grin

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 2

Stickers

8 hours ago, kve777 said:

Mark, being in UT now, maybe get your ears on some Tekton's. I love, love LOVE my Pendragon's. I had my friend Dennis Conroy over yesterday after work and he said he could just get lost in the sound. I'd sell all my speakers, for more Tekton's. That is until I can afford Wilson's. 

I did not realize Tekton was local to me - they are about an hour south of me (with no traffic, lol). I’ve been to Wilson - they are up in the mountains, east of SLC, and RBH is not 5 miles from me (though I haven’t been there yet. We’re becoming quite the Mecca for great speaker companies:-)  I will make it a point to get down to Tekton...

thanks for the info!

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

@kve777, you are a bad influence (in a very good way).   I spent way too much of last evening on the Tekton website, thanks to your previous info on them.  Clearly, the honeymoon hasn't worn off, and the love affair has continued.

The Pendragon's seem just about the right maximum size (and likely sound), but out of curiosity, have you heard their bigger brother, the Double Impact?  The reviews seem almost over the top with praise,  but after hearing your comments, I'm thinking they may be valid.  They would be a bit much for my room, but I'm sure something like the Pendragons might be a decent update to consider.

I'm betting if you could afford Wilson's, you'd probably go check the top of the line Texton's and get those, instead then spend your savings on more Carver gear...  😉

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Dadvw said:

I have my favorite Hunt for Red October on VHS, Beta, 8mm, Laserdisc, DVD, and BluRay.......grin

Beautiful setup!!! I still have those 400 new laserdiscs sitting here waiting for you!lol

• That Rocks 1

9 hours ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

@kve777, you are a bad influence (in a very good way).   I spent way too much of last evening on the Tekton website, thanks to your previous info on them.  Clearly, the honeymoon hasn't worn off, and the love affair has continued.

The Pendragon's seem just about the right maximum size (and likely sound), but out of curiosity, have you heard their bigger brother, the Double Impact?  The reviews seem almost over the top with praise,  but after hearing your comments, I'm thinking they may be valid.  They would be a bit much for my room, but I'm sure something like the Pendragons might be a decent update to consider.

I'm betting if you could afford Wilson's, you'd probably go check the top of the line Texton's and get those, instead then spend your savings on more Carver gear...  😉

If I could afford the Wilson's I'd need a bigger house, which I probably could also afford! Same bigger house required for anything bigger than the Pendragon's. I honestly made the deal to buy these without ever hearing any Tekton. It was a good gamble.

• That Rocks 1

1 hour ago, fxbill said:

Beautiful setup!!! I still have those 400 new laserdiscs sitting here waiting for you!lol

What? Are you wanting to get rid of them?.......grin

Stickers

4 hours ago, kve777 said:

If I could afford the Wilson's I'd need a bigger house, which I probably could also afford! Same bigger house required for anything bigger than the Pendragon's. I honestly made the deal to buy these without ever hearing any Tekton. It was a good gamble.

Besides, nice as the Wilson's sound, they do set an entirely new standard for U-G-L-Y!!!  You'd likely need some architectural monstrosity of a home to go along with them.  😄

I thought you had said you had heard a set of Pendragon's, which is why you had been looking for some.  Guess that memory cell checked out on me.  :$

• Thank You 1

20 hours ago, Dadvw said:

What? Are you wanting to get rid of them?.......grin

I've been considering selling all of them for years. I've had them for more than 15 years. I got them in a rental locker sale that was abandoned  by a film producer who had just gone through a divorce and his ex failed to tell him when the rental was due. I got thousands of dollars worth of equipment from the locker and owned an eBay consignment store at the time. I purchased it all to sell from the store. I kept the video discs though. He had quite a collection of cartoon discs, Clint Eastwood, Bruce Lee, many hard to find B grade horror movies and all of them had been played just once. ( I met the guy later as I began selling the stuff and he purchased all that was remaining to get it back and even though I had only paid a small amount for the locker and offered it back to him for what I paid he insisted that I take 10 times what I paid for it for me returning it to him). He was one of the main cartoonist on Roger Rabbit and had his own show called "Eek the Cat" or something like that. He told me to keep the discs....they had all just been played one time only and then stored away. In the past year I've sold 4 or 5 of them and received up to $80 per disc for some of them. Many are rare and hard to find...others are parts of pretty complete collections. I also have a black rubber rat signed by Ann Rice! My daughter also has a big box full of cartoon cells that he had collected and saved from his work. Anyway... I was going to sell them all for about $1-$2 per disc to anyone who wanted all of them and I think anyone getting them could easily sell them for 5-10 times that amount if sold individually. They'd make one heck of a collection. It also includes music video discs although I sold the Beatles Anthology and a few others. I never realized that the sound on a laser disc is analogue and needs no dac to sound great! I have the Isle of Wight festival from 1970 among some of them... The Doors and others as well. There are some of almost everything included, but most are ones that are slightly harder to find than you mostly see on fleabay. I had them shipped tome when I moved back here and media mail sends them for $29 a box that weighs 75 lbs. I have three or four full shipping boxes of them! I also have a disc player that has one large tray with a smaller tray built into the larger one....plays both laser discs and DVDs. Haven't used it in years, but aside from probably needing new belts at this point it was working great when I stored it away almost 10 years ago.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1