Glad to be here

Good morning all

After about 25 years in cardboard isolation, I'm breaking my Carver system out of storage in the hopes of returning it to use.  Since I found this forum site a month ago, I've been consuming as much info as possible and have been reading over all the topics (unfortunately it's pretty much consumed me).  I hope I didn't muck up procedure with just now making the posting to the "Welcome wagon" page.

Thanks for making this available to a newbie site participant but long time Carver enthusiast.

Terrymsp_thumbup.gif

Welcome to the forum Terry. You found the right place for all things Carver.

I suggest a visual inspection of the interior before powering up, especially the amp(s). 
Look for leaking or bulging capacitors and DO NOT power up if you find any.

Good luck resurrecting your system! Post some photos when you get a chance please.

Welcome to the forum Terry. You found the right place for all things Carver.

I suggest a visual inspection of the interior before powering up, especially the amp(s). 
Look for leaking or bulging capacitors and DO NOT power up if you find any.

Good luck resurrecting your system! Post some photos when you get a chance please.

Excellent suggestion.  I did look inside my original purchase M-500t and the one I acquired resently from an ebay buy.  Both appeared to be okay so I did power on the amps.  At that point, Nahash was kind enough to accept my request to refurb them both.  They are currently with him awaiting his magic.  My C-1 preamp is going to be heading to Wayne for his touch sometime early this coming week.  I neglected to get a shot of the full system prior to breaking it back down.  There is a 11a tuner, TL-3300 CD player and an additional M-1.5t amp that round out the Carver part of my system.  Dbx and BSR sound processing units round out the non-carver stuff from the 80's.

Once those pieces are back in place I'll get a full system pix posted along w status.

You are in good hands with Greg and Wayne. Both know Carver inside and out and do excellent work.

Your CD player will probably need new tray and sled drive belts but replacement is pretty easy.

I posted a how to for the DTL-series player that should be helpful HERE

We don't have your belt spec listed in our database but there's a primer for measuring belts HERE.
(Once you know the dimensions please post them so I can update the CD player belt size chart.)
  • Thank You 1

Welcome Terry! Glad to have you here. You're going to have no shortage of power, when Greg gets done with your amps. Are you having him do the mkII mods? What are you going to be driving with them?

As Dom said, we LOVE pictures...:-)

Welcome Terry, you have found a wonderful place to be.  These guys will answer quetions for you.  Greg is very helpful with a refurb or an upgrade.  It is great to meet others who share in OCCD!  Thumb up

Geez Terry, dive in why dontcha? Guy brings out his Carver equipment after 25 years of storage and goes straight for the Mk II and BillD mods. Sounds like a guy I'd like to know.

Welcome.

You are in good hands with Greg and Wayne. Both know Carver inside and out and do excellent work.

Your CD player will probably need new tray and sled drive belts but replacement is pretty easy.
I posted a how to for the DTL-series player that should be helpful HERE

We don't have your belt spec listed in our database but there's a primer for measuring belts HERE.
(Once you know the dimensions please post them so I can update the CD player belt size chart.)

Both gentlemen have been nothing but gracious with my request(s) so far.  I just didn't feel confident in tackling the soldering tasks and that was why I begged for newbie help (I know nothing of the electronics workings of the pieces - I just know I remember how they used to sound and in what I've read here how great they'll sound once rehab'd).

The CD player did work and while I didn't listen extensively I did take the time to play about a dozen different discs partially.  Since all rubber goods have a shelf life I would expect the belts to be a weak point here and I'll inspect them very soon.  Once I do I'll post what I find.

Welcome Terry! Glad to have you here. You're going to have no shortage of power, when Greg gets done with your amps. Are you having him do the mkII mods? What are you going to be driving with them?As Dom said, we LOVE pictures...:-)

Yes mkII mods.  My two channel setup (music listening) consists of a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 75t 4-way ported floorstandings along with a Polk PSW505 subwoofer.  For HT movie viewing, I use Definitive Technology Mythos XTR-60's for L&R, XTR-50 Center, 2-XTR-50's rear Surround and a DT SuperCube III sub.
Back in the 80's my vintage speakers were a pair of BSR's (don't remember the model) that had some ungodly sized woofer (12 or 15") ... haha, bigger was always better then.

Welcome Terry, you have found a wonderful place to be.  These guys will answer quetions for you.  Greg is very helpful with a refurb or an upgrade.  It is great to meet others who share in OCCD!  Thumb up

Thanks for the welcome Barry, both Greg and Wayne have been very generous with their time and knowledge.

OCCD - Yes that's always been my problem (if you want to look at it that way).  All in or nothing I say ... haha

Terry - your 500t's are gorgeous. Aside from a gouged corner on one of them, they are in perfect condition!

I've never seen 500t's that look this good when I get them. 

Terry - your 500t's are gorgeous. Aside from a gouged corner on one of them, they are in perfect condition!

I've never seen 500t's that look this good when I get them. 

Thanks Greg.

I'm pretty anal with care of equipment I own from new but the ebay buy was a crap shoot.  I did the best I could via the posted pictures.

Welcome to the forum Terry, glad you found us, and decided to join in on the fun.
You are  going to be really surprised when you get your system back together.
What types of music and bands/artists do you listen to ?

Blues ...

I'm most happy listening to true classic rock (Stones, Zep, Aerosmith -old stuff) but I will put my ear to anything. Well, anything, but classical music - I guess I just have no taste.

You just have to know what to look for in classical. Modern interpretations are so mechanical because the music is extremely difficult, but there are some masters out there that blow the shit out of the water and play it the way it was intended.

So here's Bach singing to God with his genius, as interpreted by the late master, Rostropovich.

(this guy wipes the floor with Yo-Yo Ma, just sayin)