Newbie Here

Welcome!  I doubt you'll be bored on this board.  (Did I really type that?  eusa_whistle.gif)

I am first year chemistry teacher at a Air Force JROTC academy, my wife is also a science teacher. We have a 14 month old little girl who loves music! Daddy is teaching her well, even at this young of an age.

You love them to pieces, but somettimes they turn out untrainable.  My wife and I are both ChE's and our son is in college studying philosophy.  At least he likes music.

Still getting used to the sound of the M1.5T vs. the TFM 25. I love them both but they do have their differences.

What do you hear that's different?  My 1.5 t's seem to have tighter bass than the 4.0t, but the 4.0t is smoother in the mids and highs.

Nice setup bored184!
BTW, there's no cure for OCCD, just treat the symptoms and you'll be just fineemwink.gif
I thought I was looking at a pic of my own C-1 with the Discwasher box sitting on top. 

Are my eyes deceiving me, or did someone modify the faceplate on your M-1.5t?

It should be the same width as the C-1 (19") but appears to be about an inch shorter.

I think you're right Dom. Also, look at how the corners on the M1.5t faceplate are rounded, compared to the C-1...

Are my eyes deceiving me, or did someone modify the faceplate on your M-1.5t?

It should be the same width as the C-1 (19") but appears to be about an inch shorter.
I think you're right Dom. Also, look at how the corners on the M1.5t faceplate are rounded, compared to the C-1...

I'm not a fan of that sort of mod, but at least the guy did a professional job.

What do you hear that's different?  My 1.5 t's seem to have tighter bass than the 4.0t, but the 4.0t is smoother in the mids and highs.

I just figured out how to quote! I am still a little new in describing what I am hearing but the M1.5T sounds a little sterile while the TFM has a richness to it that the M1.5T is lacking.  

Darn posting at work again...

I thought it sounded Flat/Sterile as well.

Low feedback designs can sound that way driving low inductance loads ( I heard), that's why I bumped up the feedback not as high as the M400t but just enough.

Before you try somthing that drastic I would suggest the amp get Recapped. It may then breath fire, like a monster.

This is my first M1.5T so I do not have anything to compare it to.
Carver made basically two faceplate sizes:
17" like my older office system (M-200t, TX-2, C-2, DTL-50)
20130430122926188.jpg 

and 19" like my son's system (M-1.0t, CT-Seven, DTL-200MKII)
20130430122333473.jpg 

They also made 19" adapter plates for the older 17" components
$T2eC16d,!yEE9s5jGLKoBQ+DBWWMDg~~60_57.J 

and bolt-on rack ears for the 17" M-500(t), TX-11, MXR-series receivers, etc.
m500t3.jpg 

• Thank You 2

I just figured out how to quote! I am still a little new in describing what I am hearing but the M1.5T sounds a little sterile while the TFM has a richness to it that the M1.5T is lacking.  

Welcome to the forum, 
I've never heard a M1.5t, but I agree the TFM-25 has a nice rich tone.  I have five re-capped 25's and I will never part with any of them. 

This is my first M1.5T so I do not have anything to compare it to.

Carver made basically two faceplate sizes:

17" like my older office system (M-200t, TX-2, C-2, DTL-50)

20130430122926188.jpg 

and 19" like my son's system (M-1.0t, CT-Seven, DTL-200MKII)

20130430122333473.jpg 

They also made 19" adapter plates for the older 17" components

$T2eC16d,!yEE9s5jGLKoBQ+DBWWMDg~~60_57.J 

and bolt-on rack ears for the 17" M-500(t), TX-11, MXR-series receivers, etc.

m500t3.jpg 

Gee Dom, it must be nice to have one of everything Carver, just in case you want to produce a made fo tv movie "The many works of Bob Carver - a pictorial journey..."eusa_dance.gif

Seriously, - great post.  Taught me something I didn't know (Which in retrospect, isn't too difficult...)

I have both a C-1 and a M1.5t and both have the factory rack mount cutouts and both are 19"
Someone cut this one down to fit inside a cabinet or shelf unit, like Dom said at least he did a decent job.

Is there a chance its factory and just and oddball or more likely did someone mod it to fit one of the smaller units? 

I suppose you could have special ordered a 17" faceplate from the factory but I'm pretty sure this one is "home made".

My reasoning is that the corners on your M-1.5t are about half the radius that Carver normally used.

To illustrate I pasted the suspect M-1.5t corner next to your stock C-1 corner with the 0o and 90o marks lined up.

I was careful to maintain scale on both photos
20130430201419688.jpg

Is there a chance its factory and just and oddball or more likely did someone mod it to fit one of the smaller units? 
made".

My reasoning is that the corners on your M-1.5t are about half the radius that Carver normally used.

To illustrate I pasted the suspect M-1.5t corner next to your stock C-1 corner with the 0o and 90o marks lined up.

I was careful to maintain scale on both photos
20130430201419688.jpg

Thanks for sharing! I always seem to attract the oddball pieces. I am usually not one for cosmetics but even I have to admit it would of looked better if it were left factory original. However like stated before I am glad who ever did it was smart enough to have it done by a pro. Looks like I may be starting the hunt for a parts M1.5T or just the faceplate. 

• 9 months later...
Perhaps the faceplate on that M-1.5t was cut down to get rid of the funny look of the factory's rack-mount screw-clearance slots?

20140225111645765.jpg 

Best pic I could find. But you see it does look kinda weird outside of a rack (inside of a rack, it's too dark to see anything! face20.gif )

The first time I saw one like this was an Ebay listing, the seller thought it was a very nice custom job. But later, I saw a factory photo (ad, brochure, spec sheet?) that showed the same slots. Probably early production, and the slots were dropped before the "One Thousand Two Hundred" screening was.