How to burn SACD and or FLAC Files?

danowood

Is there software that will allow burning SACD and FLAC files onto a (CD) or a DVD? and what about the burner it'self? Is this a expensive highend market only type of thing?  It seems the Hi Rez market isn't all that stable and that blue ray and HD is competing to put FLAC and SACD to rest.  Who's up on all this? eusa_think.gif

I use a program called Media Monkey to rip my CDs to FLAC. This program also can recreate and burn CDs. It can also convert FLAC into MP3 format and interface with an IPod.

I don't know if Media Monkey handles files higher in resolution than CD resolution or can burn SACD or DVD audio. I suspect there are alternatives out there that handle this.

thanks for the input.  I look forward to Martin's input.  I use a program that came with Soundblaster sound card, (SB Fatality champion).  With it is a program called Smart recorder.  It works great, you can record (what you hear) whatever is playing on the system whether it be you tube or whatever.  It also has a segmenter and a cleaner but it's best not to use them or you could loose some quality.   It then goes into Windows media library.  The only draw back is it supports only wma and wav files.  Of course Windows media only covers WMA as far as I know, they don't use sacd or flac. I suppose it's all about control.  For some reason though when you start recording on you tube much of the time you get a little burp and then a silence and then it records whats playing on you tube.  Don't know why or how to edit and delete that micro second burp. 

There's a program called EAC exact audio copy that's free. It allows the use of an external encoder. I use it with Lame.

It can edit files but it uses the wave format. Haven't tried a FLAC encoder yet. It can also remove pops an glitches and even restore lost info using another source as camparisin or borrow from the other channel. Can also record from any source. I'm a FLAC newbie and just getting started too.

I have been using dBpoweramp CD Ripper & Audio Converter.  I had tried media monkey and winamp.  I went with dBpoweramp because all it does is rip CD's to flac or any other popular format.  I does not have a library manager or all in one media player.  It is fast and easy. 

I've been using WinAmp for several years.  The free version.  All of the versions that I've used had the FLAC support integrated in the software.  No additional downloads were needed for the FLAC support. 

Also not to hijack, but what is the easiest way to convert FLAC to mp3? I have dbpoweramp, and it had a converter - but it makes me open each album and convert them one at a time... Maddening!

Converting FLAC to MP3 is devaluating the music file, it compresses it to the point that you lose some quality, from what I've read.  Of course you have no option as some devices only use MP3.

Converting FLAC to MP3 is devaluating the music file, it compresses it to the point that you lose some quality, from what I've read.  Of course you have no option as some devices only use MP3.

Agreed - but when I'm mowing the lawn with ear buds, there is not much difference.  Not to mention, Apple's FLAC player is a pain, and the files gobble up a ton of memory.

I think that Media Monkey allows for batch conversions from FLAC to MP3 files.  I have never tried it outside of syncing our Ipods.

Both my wife and I each have Ipod Classic players that I have setup to sync only to Media Monkey.  When I purchase new CDs I will add them to my FLAC library using Media Monkey.  The next time I plug each Ipod Classic into my computer, Media Monkey will add the new tracks in bulk to the Ipod after converting to MP3 format.  Both my wife and I can carry our entire music collection about 18,000 tracks wherever we travel including our cars. 

Many of the enhanced features are only accessible with the Gold Media Monkey version which you must pay for. 

The loss of fidelity from the FLAC version is not as noticeable in a car or outside a critical listening environment like a home.  

Agreed - but when I'm mowing the lawn with ear buds, there is not much difference.  Not to mention, Apple's FLAC player is a pain, and the files gobble up a ton of memory.

MediaMonkey will let you do a bunch at once IIRC.  Its a free program that you can use to manage your library.  It also can be used in place of iTunes for iOS devices. I dont recall off the top of my head how to set it up, but you can configure it so that when you sync your iOS device to it, it downconverts the FLAC file to a specific bitrate MP3 on the fly so your not storing 2 versions of the file on your computer.

I am sure a google would turn up the settings to change, I just dont have time to do one 

I also don't recall how to set this up. 

But the Media Monkey site has this information and a decent forum to search where I found the information to set this up.

As Bean states you don't have to maintain a library in both FLAC and MP3 formats. I my library is FLAC and Media Monkey converts the FLAC files as needed for transfer to the Ipod.

Good Luck 

I also don't recall how to set this up. 

But the Media Monkey site has this information and a decent forum to search where I found the information to set this up.

As Bean states you don't have to maintain a library in both FLAC and MP3 formats. I my library is FLAC and Media Monkey converts the FLAC files as needed for transfer to the Ipod.

Good Luck 

Does that also include sacd files and or high def files (hd)?

Maybe there is a FLAC expert out there.  Does FLAC support high definition audio (beyond CD) audio formats?

I would be interested in knowing more about storing high def audio on my NAS drive.

I know that my Sonos zone players only work with audio up to and including CD quality which includes FLAC encoded files ripped from CDs.

I would be interest in how members here play, store and use high def audio other than playing it in a SACD disk player.