What's the first album you ever bought?

Daddyjt

Just as the title says:  What is the first album that you ever bought - could be vinyl, reel to reel, 8-track, cassette, CD, or digital download... Or all of the above.

For me,

Cassette = Van Halen 1984

CD = Def Leppard Hysteria

First vinyl  bought for me 45's :  The Lettermen, Buddy Holly & The Crickets
First vinyl I bought 45's :  The Association  "Along Comes Mary", "Windy"
First LP :   Creedence Clearwater Revival   "Bayou Country"
First 8 Track :  Steppenwolf "Gold",   Johnny Winter "Saints And Sinners"
Never liked cassettes
First CD :   Robin Trower  "Bridge Of Sighs"

The first Album I bought was Sgt Pepper Lonely Hearts Club Band by the Beatles,
Some years later first CD was Born To Run by Bruce Springsteen followed shortly by Darkside Of The Moon

First LP : Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
First 8 track : - don't remember
First cassette : don't remember
First Cd : Billy Joel's 52nd Street then a few months later The Hooters - Amore

In 1974 (ish) a big bag of records was delivered to my dads company by the post office.
They phoned a few times to tell them they had dropped them off to the wrong place.
A few months later he brought the bag home cause no one came to claim it.

I remember most were unremarkable, but the one I kept, and it was my first.....by first it was mine not shared with my siblings...was by "The Band"....Northern Lights, Southern Cross.

Heres my list:

Album:   The Band....Northern Lights, Southern Cross
8 Track:   ZZ Top...Fandango
Cassette:   Supertramp....Crime of the Century
CD:   Dire Straights......Bothers in arms
Download:   Katie Melua.....Piece by Piece 
It amazes me I could remember these.....I cant remember what I did last week usually. 

It is really hard to remember that far back so I will have to go with what popped into my head first.

At sixteen my first vehicle was a 1959 Apache Pickup that I installed an 8-track player.   My father had a Receiver with a built in 8-Track player that I used at home.  I believe the first music I bought was "Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath" in 8-Track.  I remember playing it back to back, over and over, again and again. 

My Fathers 8-Track Receiver is still on a top shelf in one of my Mothers closet.

Must be a running theme here, Sgt. Peppers on 8-track was my first album I bought. 

CD- Phillips demo disc called "Here the Light on Phillips".
Cassette- Herbie Hancock, "Future Shock".  Mostly I copied albums I had onto cassette to play in the car.
LP- Foreigner, "Double Vision". 

My first music purchases were 45's that I bought in the mid 60's with money from a paper route.
All of them are long gone and I honestly don't remember any of the titles.

Around 1967 my parents won this ElectroPhonic combo unit as a door prize at a church function.
They had something similar in the living room so it wound up in my bedroom (shared with 2 brothers).

20100831223417456.jpg

Not long after we got it I made my first trip to the local head shop/music store and bought 5 albums:
The Doors - The Doors
Frank Zappa's Freak Out
Pink Floyd's Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
The Moody Blues' Days Of Future Passed 
Iron Butterfly's in-a-godda-da-vida

I still have all 5 LPs even though they are unlistenable and have been replaced at least once. 

Since this is about first album bought...not given, borrowed or mysteriously inherited...happy0009.gif My first album bought would be Who's Afraid of the Art of Noise? by The Art of noise in late 84, think I was 10 years old then.

Wow! That was a few years ago. I was 10 years old helping my dad in his shop. I used some of my money to buy this: 

Pretty trippy for a 10 year old but I just loved it. 

20130719203508403.pngFirst Album would have to have been "Deep Purple"---probably drove my parents NUTS, listening to Hush over and over again on my first stereo---a little Laffayette ??SP electronics  20 amp stereo & speakers---I still have the Laffayette  LT 725A   AM/FM receiver and some entry level Garrard turntable.  3 years later I put my first Dynaco kits together.

First 8track---probably was Frank Zappa  "Eddie was a Mountain"
First cassette---Eagles---Hotel California
First CD--Little Feat   Time Loves a Hero

Like some others here it boggles my mind that I could remember this (thanks for the thread).

Forgot to mention the first album ever purchased for me was Kansas - Leftoverture.  I remember it like it was yesterday because after I opened it I did nothing else the rest of the day but play it over and over.  After the presents were opened at my house we went to visit my grandmother.  Unbeknownst to my parents I took the album along.  When we got situated I asked my grandmother if I could play it.  She of course was accommodating and later as many of my relatives began to complain, about the "noise" coming from the vintage stereo rather than Christmas music, my grandmother calmly told them all to be quiet the boy is enjoying Christmas!  Thanks Mammy.

I'm with Dennis on this one. That was so long ago I have to guess but I think it was:

45:  Smokey Robinson and The Miracles "Come Spy with Me"

LP:  The Temptations "Psychedelic Shack"

8 Track:  War "All Day Music"

CD:  Stevie Wonder - In Square Circle

January, 1974 I purchased my first LP's:  Deep Purple- Made in Japan and Edgar Winters Group- They Only Come Out at Night. A few days before( Xmas, 1973) I received Pink Floyd DSOTM. Classics, all of them!

The first album i bought was Judas Priest - Stained Class.
I was  between 6 and 7 years old, tormented my parents with this album for years, had to get up early every morning to play it in the living room before school.. happy0009.gif 
At least they never had any trouble getting me out of bed in the morning..

• 4 months later...