Migration complete - please resume normal use ×
snow

Another set of speakers

I have to stop doing this I m running out of room, I picked up a set of Altec Valencias today and they sound very nice.

REGARDS SNOW 

I took the back off of one of them to see what it had in it and it has a 806A high frequency driver with a 811 horn and a 15" 416-Z woofer they sound so good it makes you want to cry eusa_dance.gif

REGARDS SNOW 

Those are some heavyweight speakers.  Kind of remind of the Klipsch LaScalas.  I'll bet those speakers can produce some great sound at rock concert levels. 

Those are some heavyweight speakers.  Kind of remind of the Klipsch LaScalas.  I'll bet those speakers can produce some great sound at rock concert levels. 
They are loud 97 db I think at 1 watt not as loud as the Klipsch LaScalas I don't think but still very loud with little effort, believe it or not I bought a single old Klipschorn made in 1952 a couple of weeks  ago too, and a set of AR3A's and Yamaha NS-1000's earlier this summer so the house is starting to fill up.

REGARDS SNOW 

I had a pair of Altec Barcelona's through the 70's - very much like the Valencia. Such an awesome sounding speaker!! Only sold because I was tired of moving them around but have missed them ever since. Congrats - great acquisition! 

Nice acquisition! Glad I'm not the only one that can't pass up a deal:-)

I think many of us are the same way.

SNOW, nice collection of speakers!  Happy listening!

Thanks Guys fugly these things are but they sure sound nice, I have a set of JBL L-200T3's also with a 12 inch driver and a horn tweeter that sound good but can get a bit sharp at times due to the titanium tweeter so these are more listenable for longer periods.

REGARDS SNOW 

Nice!......I could look for ages and never find a deal like those here...eusa_clap.gif

Maybe I should head north.....no, wait.....I'm already there..... 

Soon you'll be able to construct your very own igloo out of speakers.

Don't give up now!
Wont be long now happy0009.gif

REGARDS SNOW 

Nice!......I could look for ages and never find a deal like those here...eusa_clap.gif

Maybe I should head north.....no, wait.....I'm already there..... 
This happened quite by accident actually, I had put an ad on my local CL looking for audio gear last week but as usual never got a response, well this week I go to do the same thing but the automated reply never came back to publish the ad so I got to thinking perhaps it went to my spam folder which I never check and lo and behold it was there along with a response from a fellow from the previous weeks ad that stated that he had dropped off some big altec speakers at a friends house at a yard sale, well the yard sale ended Sunday and there was no contact number so I figured they were likely long gone but on the off chance they hadndt sold I sent the fellow an email back asking for a contact name and number for the people at the house who had the yard sale and to my surprise a few hours later he wrote back with a name and number so I call the lady she informs yes she still has them and there sitting in her driveway and if I want them come get them, she said she would not be home till late but if I wanted them leave her $50.00 in an envelope  so I drive over there load them load them up  and leave her money for her as she requested. But I think Karma has a lot to do with things like this just earlier the same day I seen a fellow that needed some parts for a piece of gear and I had what he needed so I told him the parts were free I just needed an address to send too, what goes around comes around I believe.

REGARDS SNOW 

congrats snow, those are nice, wouldn't mind coming across a good deal on a pair of those either, but would probably have to be local as s&h would be a killer on something like that.

congrats snow, those are nice, wouldn't mind coming across a good deal on a pair of those either, but would probably have to be local as s&h would be a killer on something like that.
Thanks Dan and yes shipping would not be cheap even strapping them to a pallet and trucking out would be 300-400 at least..

REGARDS SNOW 

I really think that it's just another variant of OCCD, OSCD only cure is to aquire!

Congrats on the buy!
Thanks.Yes part of it is I rarely see any audio gear of note up here so when I do I buy it if I can afford it just to be able to hear/try something different, I read all the time about various brands and pieces of gear but have to use my imagination as to what they may sound like simply because there are so few people that have anything.

REGARDS SNOW 

Are they keepers?
Well they are for now at least, there too big to ship so unless I locate a pair of speakers I like more I think I will keep them eusa_dance.gif I really like them but I think I need to keep trying out different pre and amp combos until I manage to find the one that sounds best with these, I think I may be having some hearing problems with my left ear, it seems like no matter what speakers or amp I use the right speaker always seems louder.

REGARDS SNOW 

Nice, I have always loved vintage Altec speakers. we used to have a bunch of great deals around here but they all dried up or I'm just not looking hard enough. Congratulations!