My DVD/Blu Ray Collection

00cbirdw

So I've had this put up for a while, but thought I'd share it with everyone here emteeth.gif!!! 

20131021110152100.jpg 

I built the rack myself, it stands JUST under 8' tall and about 5' wide.  The main members are all DF glulams with radiused edges and a dark stain with satin lacquer finish.  The shelves are all clear white pine with radiused edges and a satin lacquer finish.  Right now it's doubling as a book shelf as I haven't been able to fill it all up with DVD's/Blu Rays happy0009.gif!!!  As you can see, there are a few holes (lots of friends and family borrow), and above the paintball gun is my modest collection of Blu Rays.  Everything is alphabetized and I think the last time I checked (probably a year or so ago) I had over 700 DVD's, and have never gone thru and actually counted the Blu Ray's (maybe 30-40?).  Anyways, just thought I'd share this with everyone......and YES, that is a vintage Schwinn exercise bike in the foreground eusa_dance.gif LOL!!!

Cheers embeer.gif

That's a gorgeous rack, Casey - er wait, that didn't come out right... That's some good looking wood - no, that doesn't sound right either. :-)

I took a different spin on the storage solution - I post some pics for your consideration later.

Those titles do add up quick, don't they?

• Thank You 1

That's a gorgeous rack, Casey - er wait, that didn't come out right... That's some good looking wood - no, that doesn't sound right either. :-)

I took a different spin on the storage solution - I post some pics for your consideration later.

Those titles do add up quick, don't they?

happy0009.gifhappy0009.gifhappy0009.gifhappy0009.gif!!!!  Thanks Mark, I'll keep an eye out for your 'rack' online soon face20.gif LOL!!!  

Yeah, they add up REALLY quick......I bought a BUNCH straight outta high school (ca. 2000).  I decided I didn't want to go to college quite yet and was making good money still living with my parents......so for a few months I would order like 80-100 DVD's at a time jaw_dropper.gif LOL!!!  Now I've moved on and started expanding my Blu Ray collection.....unfortunately they're SOOOO damn expensive so it's gonna take some time eusa_wall.gif!!!  By the time I get a substantial Blu Ray collection going they'll already be a thing of the past out.gif LOL!!!  I have found that a good way to get newer Blu Rays for cheap is by doing the AWFUL Black Friday shopping at Walmart....they usually have new releases (and not quite so new releases) anywhere from $3 - $10!!!

Cheers embeer.gif

Nice storage!!!

Too bad no more BMG, or Columbia house clubs to buy lots of discs or movies for cheap.  LOL It the early seventies I became a lifetime member of the Record Club of America.  

As George Harrison said  "All things must pass!"

ENJOY THE MUSIC

BarryG

• Thank You 1

Nice storage!!!

Too bad no more BMG, or Columbia house clubs to buy lots of discs or movies for cheap.  

I didn't realize they were defunct but considering the business model I can't see how they ever stayed in business. 

I didn't realize they were defunct but considering the business model I can't see how they ever stayed in business. 

Yeah, I'm actually still a member of Columbia House (for movies), but I NEVER buy anything from them because their prices are higher than even the EXPENSIVE local places 1215.gif LOL!!!  I've resorted to buying the 'like-new' blu rays off ebay where people will buy the combo packages and sell off the pieces......I can usually find the new release blu rays for only $8-$10 or so.

So I've had this put up for a while, but thought I'd share it with everyone here emteeth.gif!!! 

20131021110152100.jpg 

I built the rack myself, it stands JUST under 8' tall and about 5' wide.  The main members are all DF glulams with radiused edges and a dark stain with satin lacquer finish.  The shelves are all clear white pine with radiused edges and a satin lacquer finish.  Right now it's doubling as a book shelf as I haven't been able to fill it all up with DVD's/Blu Rays happy0009.gif!!!  As you can see, there are a few holes (lots of friends and family borrow), and above the paintball gun is my modest collection of Blu Rays.  Everything is alphabetized and I think the last time I checked (probably a year or so ago) I had over 700 DVD's, and have never gone thru and actually counted the Blu Ray's (maybe 30-40?).  Anyways, just thought I'd share this with everyone......and YES, that is a vintage Schwinn exercise bike in the foreground eusa_dance.gif LOL!!!

Cheers embeer.gif

You did a great job on the unit!!
Wish I could say I had that large of a selection to chose from, but am   working on it!

• Thank You 1

You did a great job on the unit!!
Wish I could say I had that large of a selection to chose from, but am   working on it!

Thanks Russell!  I was quite happy with how the look of the wood turned out, and how the shelving units worked.  I ended up routing out grooves in the main side pieces for some KV pilasters and clips (in brown) to support the shelves.

Keep in mind, it's taken me over 13 years to build my collection to this point!!!

Nice job Casey! Wish I had room for something like that.

Thanks Gene!  Yeah, I didn't quite realize how big it REALLY was until I started piecing it together inside and screwed it to the wall yikes.gif LOL!!!  It took me over 2 months to build (working only a couple hours every weekend), but luckily a friend of the family is a cabinet builder by trade and has an AMAZING wood working shop.....so he helped me out with a lot of the tricky stuff like making the routes for the pilasters and radiusing all of the edges eusa_clap.gif!!!

• 2 months later...
I'm a bit late to the party, but if you have a local trade it in type bookstore, many of them have cheap DVD and Blu-Ray discs as well. I can pick up less popular blu ray discs for under $10, and just about any DVD for $8 or under. Got the first 3 seasons of ER a bit ago for under $15 per set.

They had an anniversary complete Star Trek:TNG collection just before Christmas for $100, almost got it. Hope it's still there when I get paid Friday.

John