Raided the record stores today

Gene C

Hit up Zia Records today with hopes of getting on a list for the Pink Floyd Division Bell box set due out next month. Picked up some vinyl while I was there.

20140523_143737_zpsgndtqlji.jpg

I've got Venus and Mars on DVD Audio, if you want to do a side-by-side comparison...
  • Thank You 1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hit up Zia Records today with hopes of getting on a list for the Pink Floyd Division Bell box set due out next month. Picked up some vinyl while I was there.
20140523_143737_zpsgndtqlji.jpg

Nice pick up. I have all three of those in vinyl

Delicious vinyl.  Some great finds are still out there.  Gov't Mule on vinyl is interesting.  Tom Brignall was one of my employees at Stereo Showcase and his Uncle Bob the last and best drummer in my band.  I have the CDs of two albums but no vinyl.  I recognize so many of these and some that I had long ago and sold off when I dumped the bulk of my collection. At one time it was huge, over 10K,  My son Chris had his choice first and still owns most of that, I kept only my top favorites, about 500 and the rest went to a collector with the maple shelving.  Most of my CD collection are compilations of the favorite albums of the past.  Plus all the taped recordings and burned CDs I made either for saving oldies or for specific gigs.  Here I am, very sick, with the vinyl behind me, in 2005.  The whole wall was vinyl, end to end, top to bottom, alphabetical.  Jim20140523203130620.jpg 

I was looking for old McCartney last week at my local record store but they had none, zero, ZIp. Fond memories.

Keep checking back. Someone unloaded a batch of their Rush LP's recently all 12 albums because they were not there last week. To think I had to hit 7 listings and a few stores to get the same albums.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
In  boxes labeled "4 for $1" outside a new vinyl store yesterday. There was a Fall Arts & Crafts Festival on the street outside, inside were two comfy overstuffed armchairs, each with an accompanying side table offering a Technics TT (sorry, didn't get the model) plus headphones for listening. Boots with Strings, Boots Randolph (1966); All Aglow Again (with Fever), Peggy Lee (1960); Chris In Person, Chris Connor recorded live at The Village Vanguard (1959); Lush Life, Nancy Wilson (1967). Still no TT, friends, but the albums add to existing albums as decor until a TT joins the system. 

Albums2014_zps8580ea12.jpg 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Picked up Foo Fighters - Sonic Highways, The Flaming Lips - With a Little Help from My Fwends and Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band- Goin' Home.

Spinning The Flaming Lips now. emwink.gif

20141228_142613_zpsphmckdri.jpg 

Went to Zia Records and picked up some spankin new albums today.
20140228_133033_zpsxtgn5ybw.jpg
The Michael Jackson is the only picture album I own now, the other Thriller LP I have saw much better days. happy0009.gif

I've been wondering about the picture albums - are they ok? Something to avoid, or no difference is sound from regular vinyl?

Went to Zia Records and picked up some spankin new albums today.

20140228_133033_zpsxtgn5ybw.jpg

The Michael Jackson is the only picture album I own now, the other Thriller LP I have saw much better days. happy0009.gif

I've been wondering about the picture albums - are they ok? Something to avoid, or no difference is sound from regular vinyl?

No difference in sound at all. It's just color in the wax. emwink.gif
  • Thank You 1

• 3 weeks later...
Raided 2 GoodwillsFirst Raid (pictured)Chuck Mangione -- Children on SanchezEarl Klugh -- Heart StringWeather Report -- Procession (THANKS ZUMBINI)David Sanborn -- BackstreetAlexander Zonjic -- Romance with YouDancing The Night Away (4 LP Comp)Second RaidGrover Washington Jr. -- Winelight (THANKS ZUMBINI)Bob James and David Sanborn -- Double Vision

15738025693_4d16735d9d.jpg

1%20of%201%20LPs%201_zpsooiojzra.jpg
Sat & listened to many LPs–rock, jazz, soul– before looking through the classical selection, just hoping Virgil Fox might be there. Eureka! Collected Biggs as well to fortify myself for a long walk home, balanced with one LP under each arm, humming imaginary fugues.
Virgil Fox, Heavy Organ–Bach Live at the Filmore East .
E. Power BiggsBach: The Four Great Toccata and Fugues; The Four Antiphonal Organs of the Cathedral of Freiburg Played Simultaneously
 Looking up antiphonal, this would be spectacular to hear live!
img939_zps00v7vgmg.jpg