Blu-Ray Pure Audio Disc

oldtexasdog

Any one tried these? 24bit/96k No compression. I know I cant play these on my Sony Juke box but I can play on my OPPO 83SE.

I've read about them, but haven't seen any yet... Looks like a replacement for SACD/DVD Audio. Where do you get them?

After doing a little surfing it looks like musicdirect.com  is the best bet. Everything else I saw you have to be careful if you don't have a region free BD player.  I may try one to see if there's a big difference between the DVD Audio (DTS) and SACD versions of an album I have.

• 1 year later...
Daddyjt's Supertramp Blu Ray Pure Audio karma got me looking at pure audio and what's available. Some of the titles seem to be SACD or DVD-Audio titles that have been released on this new format.
Does anyone have any pure audio titles to recommend?
I was thinking of getting The Who - Quadrapnenia. I don't have that album in any format.

Same here. That karma got me searching the oppo web site to figure out if my BDP-95 will even play Blu-ray audio. I can't find any mention of that term on the Oppo site. Anybody know which Oppo players support this?

I sent a question into Oppo, but no response yet.

Oh, and thanks for the inspiration Daddyjt......

wrf, I think most all Blu Ray players can play pure audio. IMO what killed SACD and DVD-Audio is having to have a special player.

Edit: I looked up the blu ray spec and found these formats that are used by pure audio. 
Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio - lossless encoding of up to 8 channels of audio. 
  • Thank You 1

Wayne,

As Morris said, as long as your source chain can process Dolby True HD and DTS Master, you're fine.

By source chain, I mean your player AND processor, if you're running HDMI. However, if you're only using the HDMI to run the video, and running audio via 8ch analog (the preferred method, IMHO), only your player needs to have the required decoding ability.

I would be using the balanced (XLR) analog outputs of the BDP-95 direct into the VK-40 preamp. So, no HDMI would be involved. No video either That's how I listen to SACD recordings. Hopefully the BDP-95 can handle the resolution since I just ordered up a couple of discs.

I'll know this evening. Not the first time Amazon same day delivery has fed my habit.

That will work perfectly - I run a 95 and a 105 myself... I've never used the balanced outputs, but I use the 2ch RCA out, and they're fed by the same DAC...

Wow - same day delivery... Not in MT;-)

Yep at around 30.00 a pop I hated to just buy one to see if it was better!
A fool and his money soon part.

20131110102152159.jpg

The big question to me is how good was the source material?  Remastering these discs from 2nd gen master tapes that only had maybe 60 dB dynamic range and at best 20k frequency response is unlikely to sound any better than the CD.  To take advantage of the ability of this format the recording needs to be made in 24 bit/96k from the start.  Using a whole lot of extra bits that are all zeros will not give us better sound. 

Check out and sign up for Dr. Mark Waldrep's daily emails for his unrelenting quest for true high definition audio.

Amazon same day got them delivered.  I'll start some listening shortly.

Throwing caution and rational thought to the wind, I got three titles.  Supertramp - Crime of the Century, Let Zep - Celebration Day, and Yes - Close to the Edge. 

No overlap with any of the SACD discs I have. 

Hey wrf,
Please let us know how your Blu Ray pure audio disks sound. 
What titles did you get?
How do they compare to SACD?

Yep at around 30.00 a pop I hated to just buy one to see if it was better!
A fool and his money soon part.

20131110102152159.jpg

"A fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place..." ~ Gordon Gecko