Pandora Sound Quality???

HappyTrails

I am a subscriber of Pandora, what ever the yearly cost is I happily pay.

I listen to Pandora about everywhere, including the main stereo through a Grace digital radio (sim to IRA 500)

Just recently I noticed that the sound quality was off, poor is a better description.  Static, loss of quality on the high and low end, and increased as the volume went up.  I thought this might be a bad connection.  So I swapped out the RCA cables, no effect.  So, I changed sources inputs on the C1 from Aux 1 to 2, still no effect.  Went to the tuner input, no effect.  So I disconnected the Grace and stuck my Nexus 7 into the loop, still poor quality.  My phone is the same 

I mentioned to my son who runs his Pandora through his system via the computer.  He said the same thing,poor quality.

Its to the point I am soon to stop listening as it makes my system sound terrible.  CD's, Vinyl sound great!

Has anyone else noticed this?  

Paul 

I haven't noticed an issue but IIRC Pandora changed its terms of service and made some changes to streaming quality as well.
I also stopped using Pandora and spent money on a MOG subscription in order to get better quality.

I would highly suggest checking out MOG.  Its a subscription service but it allows you access to the entire 12 million artist library.  

You get unlimited desktop streaming for 5 dollars and if you get the 10 dollar plan you also get unlimited streaming on your smartphone and can download the tracks for offline playback....

Oh and I forgot to mention... its a GUARANTEED 320 bps whereas Pandora is at max IIR 128 with Pandora One and even less with the free version.  Spotify is a similar service but it only offers up to 320 bps so you dont always know if your really getting high quality or not. 
  • Thank You 1

I will check them out!!
Cool.  It took over a year of a couple people bugging me to do it before I jumped in and now I can say its made my commute to and from work, and during MUCH better.

That and I also have a Squeezebox that has a MOG app so I can use my phone to pull up my favorites, etc.  It makes those few mins here and there I have to listen to music much more efficient, albeit at the cost of quality, but I find for most listening its adequate. 

I will PM you my phone number if you want so we can discuss it sometime as I honestly am a HUGE fan.  Its also a great way to listen to an entire album before buying a CD copy so you know what your getting... 

XM/Sirius Still does sound bad, at best it's good for talk radio. Even sounds dead on my stock ford truck!

Tried listening through home system what a waste!

Maybe a step up from elevator sound!

I will check them out!!
Cool.  It took over a year of a couple people bugging me to do it before I jumped in and now I can say its made my commute to and from work, and during MUCH better.

That and I also have a Squeezebox that has a MOG app so I can use my phone to pull up my favorites, etc.  It makes those few mins here and there I have to listen to music much more efficient, albeit at the cost of quality, but I find for most listening its adequate. 

I will PM you my phone number if you want so we can discuss it sometime as I honestly am a HUGE fan.  Its also a great way to listen to an entire album before buying a CD copy so you know what your getting... 

I like everything I am hearing (pun intended).  I signed up last night but didnt have a chance to play around much, and not much today.

I need to investigate the players, as that is the one thing I use most often.   Logitech and Grace both make them I think? 

XM/Sirius Still does sound bad, at best it's good for talk radio. Even sounds dead on my stock ford truck!

Tried listening through home system what a waste!

Maybe a step up from elevator sound!
I have a lifetime subscription to Sirius and listen in the car.  I agree.... the only thing that makes it better than elevator music is I can change the channel.  Actually I think most elevators sound quality is better....

I signed up years ago and paid like 300 for a lifetime.  Sweet deal  

I will check them out!!

I like everything I am hearing (pun intended).  I signed up last night but didnt have a chance to play around much, and not much today.

I need to investigate the players, as that is the one thing I use most often.   Logitech and Grace both make them I think? 

Gotcha.  Logitech Squeezebox's (Classic and Touch's) have the MOG app you can use to listen to MOG through them.  Otherwise you could  just connect the phone directly to your pre-amp but thats not how I suggest doing it 14.gif.

If you have any questions let me know. 

Well I sent emails to several:

MOG, to ask what players are supported. Not real clear on the web site.

Grace, as to if my Solo would play MOG, if not, then what player they have that does.

And Pandora, as to why the sound quality has dropped. I still question if its something on my end, but I think I have ruled out all possibilties. The only other possible on my end is a poor wireless signal? I do stream Netflix and Amazon with no real issues, but I guess that could cause degraded sound quality?

Bean,

Playing around with MOG, or trying to..... I do like the quality so far of the stream

2 things so far:

1) On my laptop sitting in Starbucks the streaming is terrible.... multiple pauses on every song. Not tried this at my house yet, but plan to this evening. Its on a new laptop (running Linux) and the wifi signal is strong. I am bouncing between MOG and Pandora as a comparison. Pandora One I do not have the pauses, but I can hear a difference in quality, which I should since its 2x the bit rate

I went to the support page and that seems to be a real issue with a lot of MOG subscribers.

Have you had any issues?

2) Finding anything that says it will play MOG is impossible. Nothing lists MOG, not even the Squeezebox you mentioned. I want a quality unit to connect at home should I pursue MOG. Grace has a digital tuner that would look nice but no information on MOG, but then no information on MOG.

I do plan on calling today since no emails have been answered by anyone I sent them to yesterday.

1) On my laptop sitting in Starbucks the streaming is terrible.... multiple pauses on every song. Not tried this at my house yet, but plan to this evening. Its on a new laptop (running Linux) and the wifi signal is strong. I am bouncing between MOG and Pandora as a comparison. Pandora One I do not have the pauses, but I can hear a difference in quality, which I should since its 2x the bit rate

I went to the support page and that seems to be a real issue with a lot of MOG subscribers.

Have you had any issues?

Occasionally I have drop-outs but when at my house I almost never do.  My Squeezebox Classic is hardwired.  My laptop is wireless but again, I havent had tons of issues. Your problem at Starbucks I am willing to bet is tied to the bandwidth being used by you and others as that will be the limiting factor.  Given the higher bps you may be straining the Starbucks network.  Just my thought.

I also stream in my car using my HTC One and again rarely have drop-outs and when I do its directly related to my signal dropping off entirely in black zones.

2) Finding anything that says it will play MOG is impossible. Nothing lists MOG, not even the Squeezebox you mentioned. I want a quality unit to connect at home should I pursue MOG. Grace has a digital tuner that would look nice but no information on MOG, but then no information on MOG.

I do plan on calling today since no emails have been answered by anyone I sent them to yesterday.

The Squeezebox Classic (version 2 & version 3) as well as the Squeezebox Touch & Squeezebox Duet both can access MOG.  You run it as a "app" on the player.  

Squeezebox homepage (its in the header all the apps it can run and it can also run Pandora too which is nice): 

As a sidenote Logitech support has been killed for the Squeezebox line but there is still a MASSIVE group of folks using the products.  There is a TON of info out on these units, but IMHO they are the BEST bang for your buck player right now as the Classic v2 and v3 can be had for around 125 bucks on ebay and you can use a app on your phone to browse your library and control playback.  Or you can use your laptop as well to access things too.

A Roku box has MOG on it, and digital out, so you can use your own DAC

Now THAT I didnt know.  Thanks for the info.

Also the Squeezebox's do have a digital out as well to connect a DAC to them.  That said the Roku box's are cheaper but not sure how user friendly the interface is.

With the Squeezebox's at least you have ALL control via your phone and it works pretty good.  Will have to go try it on my Roku tonight.

Thanks! That is good info to know. :)

I own 2 Roku boxes, and stream Netflix, Amazon and Pandora never bothered to look for MOG. I will do so this evening

And I have a wifi capable bluray player which I plan on using to steam, thus freeing up 1 Roku.

Hmmmm, a cheap screen would act as a UI and both boxes have RCA outs, plus I can hard wire the Roku thus a better stream rate!

Thanks that actually is very good info the more I think about this!

Per Grace Digital as a FYI:

Paul,

Thanks for writing in. I’m sorry to say that currently no Grace unit can play MOG but we are working towards offing more extra features MOG being one of those.

Best Regards,

Megan

Tech Support

Ok switched up PCM Spdif output path seems pretty darn good however the denon is reporting 44khz PCM audio using Roku.

Zero drop outs

Ps Hardwired Roku as I use Vudu and that was the only way HDX 1080p test would pass. Kinda nice Family buys Blue ray and I get digital copy for Vudu!

Listening to Josh Groban Noel and it sounds like a variable bit rate, you can hear a sound envelope open and close with the intensity of the sound, not as good as the Cd.

Once the activity comes up the ambience opens up to a better sound stage. My 2 cents!