Manuals not in the Library (wanted/needed)

On 3/12/2019 at 10:27 AM, dennismiller55 said:

Hey Carter we don't have this manual.  However, the web seller appears to have one.  AnalogAlley

I have bought many manuals from this seller.  His scans are top notch.  These are not copies that are passed around.   

If you do obtain a manual from him please let us know.  

He does not have any manuals for the PL 5000 Series 2 tuner. The listing he had was an error.

I was able to find an owners manual on eBay though.

Carter

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if this isn't where this is supposed to go, but I'm trying to find a cleaner copy of the Digital Time Lens OM.  The one on file doesn't seem to print right.  I think it was an 8.5x11 manual and it appears to have been shrunk/downscaled.  If you try to print it in booklet form it doesn't collate correctly.  (Opposing pages are upside down.)  Does anybody have one?  TIA...

1 hour ago, RTM said:

Sorry if this isn't where this is supposed to go, but I'm trying to find a cleaner copy of the Digital Time Lens OM.  The one on file doesn't seem to print right.  I think it was an 8.5x11 manual and it appears to have been shrunk/downscaled.  If you try to print it in booklet form it doesn't collate correctly.  (Opposing pages are upside down.)  Does anybody have one?  TIA...

It wasn't shrunk down, it's half of an 8.5x11 (I have one of the factory manuals). The one here is the same as what I've found on other manual sites (hi fi engine, hi-fi manuals).

• Thank You 1

I see what you mean.  I have looked elsewhere for cleaner "free" copies without any luck.  There is one for sale on eBay.  A bit pricey.  If you find a decent copy please contact me so I can replace the poor scan we currently have available.  Thanks!

• Thank You 1

14 hours ago, gold98gtp said:

It wasn't shrunk down, it's half of an 8.5x11 (I have one of the factory manuals). The one here is the same as what I've found on other manual sites (hi fi engine, hi-fi manuals).

I have an original too, and like a few other manuals for Carver processers, it is a 8.5x11 sheet, folded in half and stapled into a single "signature" (printing term) booklet of 8.5x5.5 inches in size.

@gold98gtp Are you going to scan yours and send it to Dennis for a better copy?  If not, I can do it.  I'm in agreement with @dennismiller55 , if we can improve the library, that's a good thing.

• Thank You 2

22 hours ago, gold98gtp said:

Thank you both for your time and generosity of resources.  It is MUCH appreciated!  

• Thank You 1

4 hours ago, gold98gtp said:

@AndrewJohn Yes I'm sending my DTL manual to Dennis, will be in the mail tomorrow.

Mark

Hey Mark,

You don't need to send it by Postal Mail.  I have a high-res scanner, and can scan my original and just email it to Dennis.

Let me know if I caught you in time to save your postage.  I've scanned dozens (hundreds?) of documents in the library and can whip this one off fast in a day.  I didn't want to step on toes, that's why I asked if you were already going to "scan" it.

No worries, 

AJ

• Thank You 2

• 3 months later...

Hi Again fellow Carver fans,

I'm still looking for a .pdf of the Carver TX1-11 Service Manual, if anyone happens to have one.  TIA.  Glad to see the site back up.  Best to all...

Edited by RTM

• 4 months later...

The Carver site has been a great resource for me. Between the available documentation, lesson learned from the various forums, and technical advice, I've been able to learn quite a bit and leverage it into my hobbies.

As payback, I'd like to help update the library.

I've been looking for manuals that aren't in the library.

When I find them, I'll scan them and send them in.

The previous week, I sent owners manuals for the TD-1200 and MD/A-420 to Greg.

I just ordered a service manual for the MD/A-420, when it arrives I shall scan it and send it in also.

My thoughts are as time goes by, this documentation is going to be harder to locate. Gathering it together now will help preserve it for the Carver community.

I know the manual site has not yet been converted and made operational yet.

If it possible to get a list of either what's needed, or what's in the database would help me target my search (I'm somewhat of an eBay-aholic)?

If a list is not available, I can wait until the site is up and if I find something in the nearterm that that I think might not be in the library, I can always check in with site administration.

• Thank You 1

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi All,

Much appreciate the site and forums for Carver owners. I picked up a new project, a DTL-200 Mk2. Going in I knew that parts for this series of CD players are unobtainium, but I was wondering if there is such a thing as DTL-200 mk2 service manual. Been lurking around and have not seen even a mention online. Just wondering if the community might have some feedback.

Thanks,

Izzy

• Thank You 1

@izzys_no_audiophile, looks like we don't have that manual or any of that series/era of DTL CD player service manuals in the library.

As for servicing..., the three most common things people do are:

1. replace the belts.  These are readily available.  There's a "Belt Size Table" on the forum, just use search on the forum, with the full phrase "Belt Size Table", to find the thread, and you'll see the table and the size and type (square) and number of belts that you need for the DTL 200MkII.  You'll even find threads on how to replace the belt on a DTL 200.  (It has the same transport as a DTL 50 and DTL 100 - so belt changing is the same).

2. Clean and Lubricate.  This doesn't take a service manual.  Again, there's a thread on this somewhere here - or, just YouTube search for "lubricating a CD transport drive..., and a number of good guides will pop up that go over the concepts, and general approach.  (Basically, clean off the old goo, and put down new lubricant.  I use White Grease,

3. Re-cap - replace the capacitors.  Capacitors are "consumable" components and begin to degrade out of spec out over time.  Sometimes they leak.  Either way, replacing the 30+ year old capacitors in your unit will help it improve its sound.

If there's something else wrong with your DTL, there's not much help.  The DTL circuitry concept was developed to take the edge off poorly mastered and harsh sounding early production CDs.  Modern CDs don't need this so much, so most don't turn that circuit on.  No one really seems to fully understand Bob's DTL circuitry, and there's a few old threads that allude to its mystery.  Most just leave that alone.

I have one of these DTL 200 MKII machines..., I keep it for the cosmetics when I put a Carver Silver-faced stack together - but mostly it sits on the shelf.  There are way better CD players (I use an OPPO 103) with better DACs.   

Many have found that putting a Tube Buffer (like a Music Fidelity tube buffer) in the audio source loop improves the DTL 200MkII's sound dramatically - but that does not make it sound as good as a modern OPPO.

Wish there was more for you, including a Service manual - but this is the best guidance I know of - others may have more to add.

• Thank You 1

Much thanks for the reply. Yes, I will work through list. I have already done the belts. On this this 200 mk2 and another DTL-50 that I have. My 200 is not reading the disc table of contents (ToC) and so does not play them. I agree that dealing mechanism lube and then replacing the electrolytic caps might be a good next step. Surprisingly I also have OPPO 103, managed to get a great thrift store deal on Darbee version with the remote. :) I have actually amassed quite vintage CD player collection during COVID as hobby, mostly broken. My interest in the DTL's is also about having matching stacks in terms of the faceplate color as well. I also have two Carver receivers a 6250 and MXR-130 that will pair nicely with these Carver DTLs. Who doesn't like the mystique of the Digital Time Lens and Sonic Hologram in their vintage audio gear.

• Thank You 2

20 hours ago, izzys_no_audiophile said:

Much thanks for the reply. Yes, I will work through list. I have already done the belts. On this this 200 mk2 and another DTL-50 that I have. My 200 is not reading the disc table of contents (ToC) and so does not play them. I agree that dealing mechanism lube and then replacing the electrolytic caps might be a good next step. Surprisingly I also have OPPO 103, managed to get a great thrift store deal on Darbee version with the remote. :) I have actually amassed quite vintage CD player collection during COVID as hobby, mostly broken. My interest in the DTL's is also about having matching stacks in terms of the faceplate color as well. I also have two Carver receivers a 6250 and MXR-130 that will pair nicely with these Carver DTLs. Who doesn't like the mystique of the Digital Time Lens and Sonic Hologram in their vintage audio gear.

I'm not a tech, and not an expert..., but the issue you describe, not reading the index, sounds familiar.  Here's a couple of ideas.  If you have the gear (and it takes a special meter) you might be able to adjust the laser in the transport..., I can't help you there.  However, it' smore likely either a) the laser has some dirt on it, or b) the laser is just tired and old, and underperforming, or c) the transport is worn so bad that it can never get aligned.

For a dirty lens, you can take some 90%+ alcohol on a q-tip and very gently wipe off the laser lens.  Get the high-grade alcohol..., some of the 70% alcohol that is available at drug stores has additives which isn't going to help clean.  The 90% will evaporate instantly.

The second thing you can do, if it's a degraded laser or sloppy transport mechanism, is going to involve a donor machine that has less miles on it, that you might be able to harvest a transport and replace yours..., it's fairly easy process which I have done.  Not reading the disk is 90% likely due to some issue in the transport.  These CD players come up on Ebay quite often, last I checked.

Of course, if you find a donor machine with great cosmetics..., you might just use that CD machine instead.

Again, I'm not a tech, just a willing DIYer and member here.  These are the things I have done, and approaches I've taken, or heard of others taking.  I don't think you'll find any NEW parts for these decks (no new transports, and no new lasers have been found out there - they are just too old for parts, except if harvested from a donor machine.

Others may pipe in with other suggestions.  Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

7 hours ago, izzys_no_audiophile said:

Not really electronics tech either, more of a tinkerer. Thanks for the suggestions. Already cleaned the laser lens, but finding donor machine might be an option as well. If I find some success I will post an update. 😀

Please start a new thread in the right forum section on source components..., when you get further on your journey.

And, of course, always be open to the "donor" being the unit you keep, and the unit you have, becomes the parts unit..., once you evaluate it more closely side-by-side.  Tough decisions..., always.