Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Pictures

Look closely. It's a wireless system!

I dunno- rich people do some crazy things. I bet they had somebody run the cables up and down the inside of the pedestal column (under the floor, up into the bases of the speakers...). out.gif 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Took my daughter out to the entrance to Antelope Island (about 1/2 mile from our house) to catch the sunset. I haven’t uploaded my DSLR memory card yet, but I snapped this one with my new iPhone 12.  

Posted Images

Here's that Neve board Rodney was talking about in the chat box yesterday.

25698d1161464948-michael-jackson-recordi

And here's a guy removing the channels for recapping on another board.

L11291421.jpg

studioA_control01.jpg

• Thank You 2

20140420072915537.jpeg

Now *that's* a rack handle!

I'm so glad I don't have to work on, or with, something with that density of controls. Just looks like a sheet of plywood covered with Skittles to me! :

20140420072646725.jpeg

Here's that Neve board Rodney was talking about in the chat box yesterday.

25698d1161464948-michael-jackson-recordi

The board was found convalescing in Chicago having been dismantled after a studio closing.  She sat there gathering dust until a chance meeting between Neil Zaza and the board's owner.  Recognizing it's inherent value, Neil bought it and had it shipped to his studio in Ohio then hired the national expert on Neve boards to come in and rebuild it back to factory new condition.  It took many, many weeks of work to bring her back to her former glory.  It's the king of analog boards and simply having it brings in business to Zaza's studio.  Interestingly, it's also the same board used by The Aristocrats to record their first album though closer inspection found it patched in a rather slap-dash manner. 

• Thank You 2
I was just reading an interview with Rick Ruben and  Dave Grohl. Dave talking about the time when he bought the Neve from Sound City in LA. When they brought it back to his house Dave had someone clean all the cocaine and fried chicken off the console.  happy0009.gif

Yeah, there's a 2 hour program I recorded from the Palladia channel called Sound City that chronicles the studio and follows the board into Grohl's personal studio. Jim Coash referenced it in the chat box. Rather than dismantle they board the passed it whole out of a large window to get it on the truck.

Yeah, there's a 2 hour program I recorded from the Palladia channel called Sound City that chronicles the studio and follows the board into Grohl's personal studio. Jim Coash referenced it in the chat box. Rather than dismantle they board the passed it whole out of a large window to get it on the truck.
I just bought it off Amazon. Remember seeing some of the scenes towards the end of "Foo Fighters Back And Forth" where they were setting it up. Think that was the same sound board from Sound City in 2011 when they filmed Back And Forth. 

Edit: I was wrong. After watching Back And Forthtoday they did bring a sound board into Dave's house towards the end of the film but it wasn't the Neve from Sound City.
20140421174711127.jpg

Now this is cool:

"The Sound Taxi is equipped with microphones that record its surrounding noise. As it makes it’s way through the streets of London, a specially designed software program inside the vehicle converts the noise into unique music in real-time.
Passers-by will hear the music via the 67 speakers built into the entire car body and the big, shiny Indian horns mounted on top of the taxi’s roof. Finally, the passengers of the sound taxi can tune-in to the converted sounds via headphones installed inside of the vehicle. "

Thad Trubakoff

Great Grandpa's Phonograph Rebuild

My Great Grandfather was a skillful tinkerer, able to take any old broken machine and make them whole again or repurpose the parts for use as something else.

His small workshop was magical and mysterious to me.  I would let myself get lost in there as a young boy, touching, playing, and emulating.  This piece was created in homage to him.  As he would, I took pieces and parts from older broken down phonographs and remade them out of wood which were hollowed to allow sound through.  Other pieces are custom designed and fitted to work alongside one another as this is a functional machine.  The horn was made using laser etched, steam bent and then laminated maple sections.  Sections were then stitched together to make a complete horn. I also utilized cast iron and bronze to provide the main framework and crank parts. Patterns for the castings were hand carved out of wood and then a mold was created from the patterns.