New kid in town

Welcome Jim! Let us know if you're looking for anything. I have a large surplus of gear and I'm ready to share at reasonable prices. I gotta go check out those speakers. I'm intrigued.Just checked 'em out. How do they sound off-axis? Looks like you need to be in your listening position or you don't get much sound. I get the concept alright, I imagine it's a bit like sonic holography effects. Enlighten us, please.

Thanks for the welcome! My listening room is definitely more man cave than man cavern. My room is semi L shape with a proliferation of workout stuff and treadmill, elliptical etc. It truly leaves me with few places out of the sweet spot to listen. As with any speaker leaving your sweet spot degrades imaging but with that being said the sweet spot is pretty amazing. I have the Mt. Ranier model of Wave Touch and they are still breaking in. Judging by the serial nos. I believe they may be the eighth pair made. I am presently driving them with a circa 1970 Sansui 3000a til I get my amp back. I don't think the Sansui was known for a huge soundstage so I will reserve judgement yet until I can get an amp with better imaging. Compromising the sweet spot to have better off axis sound is not of interest to me. I bought these to get those goosebumps from particularly sweet passages and that is what I am voicing the room for.  I think the vertical axis is more critical than the horizontal. Overall these are a pretty incredible value and the accuracy, and transparency are off the chart. I've never seen a speaker that displays the subtleties of sources and media more.  Alex Yoon of  Wave Touch has introductory pricing now on these that makes them a bargain. I don't think you can find a better speaker in the under $1000.00 dollar range.  Their ability to sound great at low volumes is something I haven't seen before.      Now how about a recommendation for a bang for the buck preamp to complement the TFM22?

Hello, Jim. As for preamps,  you will find  the Carver C1 Sonic Holography preamp is the perennial favorite here, with modifications available. Look for them on eBay or CraigsList. I have a C-3 preamp and a CT-7 pre/tuner (no C-1) that are just fine. Many friends here who will help you on your quests. 

• Thank You 1

Without hesitancy,the Carver C-1 and when you're ready send it out for a BillD mod/refurb. I say this without owning one but plenty of reading up about it around this site. I'm sold on the recommendation.

• Thank You 1

It is with some trepidation that I now add a requirement for a remote to my request for a pre amp recommendation because some purists will be shaking their heads and thinking '"we had such hopes for the new kid and now this remote thing." Unfortunately when I melt into my seat I would like to be there for a while without jumping up to adjust volume (getting old and lazy).

A used C-1 is an excellent sonic holography preamp for a reasonable price ($250-300).
The BillD-modifications maintain it's neutrality while increasing soundstage and reducing background noise. 
20140318103152318.jpg 

It's black-faced brother (the C-11) shares the same sonics and is a better cosmetic match for the TFM-22.
20140318102957837.jpg 

The C-1/11 are NOT remote capable, however, remote volume control is one of the documented BillD mods. 
You might also check out the CT-Seven which came with a remote and was available in anthracite and black. 
20140318103748442.jpg 

20140318103856811.jpg 
  • Thank You 3

Welcome!  How do you like the Shiit Bifrost?  Wondering about an alternative to my rDac as mine doesn't play 24/192 over USB.

I don't have a lot to compare it to but i do enjoy it. I bought it based on many of the reviews. I didn't do the usb upgrade as my intention was to use a Pure ipod dock with a digital cable and don't use my pc as a music server.  The ability to upgrade as specs change down the road is a huge bonus imho. Who wants to buy something that is useless when the next improvement in bandwidth or speed or whatever  is reached?  I noticed your Pioneer   BS22  speakers, nice choice, one of the true bargains out there today. I bought some for my nephew for Christmas.

You have a great mind augie, I did the same thing and bought the Pure dock and a Squeezebox and run them both through a MyDac I picked up cheap because as you say these dacs will be obsolete next week but I also grabbed a Dragonfly and run it straight into a set of Audioengine 2's which is a lot of fun especially when run through my Sunfire Signature Sub first then the AE 2's.

Thanks for the great mind compliment, but i'm happy with my self assessment of being just your average idiot. Check out the Stereophile review of the Bifrost and be sure to read all the way to the end. I have the Uber analog2 upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

FURTHER IGNORANCE EXPOSED!!! Here's one of those things that i feel like I should know but truly don't. Do amps generally have a certain range of their" power band" where they are particularly sweet? Is it better to have an amp that is just loping along at 8 oclock on the dial or one that is less powerful and running at a 10 o'clock or 11 position. Running my 150 rms amp at 9 o'clock will just about run me out of the room.

Headroom is desirable for many reasons, an important one being that transients can draw x10 average power.
If your amp can't deliver, the result is a briefly clipped output that becomes more audible as duration increases.