Migration complete - please resume normal use ×
PaulM21

Phase Linear/Carver History

I thought he was kicked out of Phase Linear and that's when he came up with the idea for the coffee can amp to help drum up some interest.

This article says he sold off Phase Linear.

Does anyone know which scenario is correct?

Kicked out of Carver & Sunfire. P/L he sold to liquidate in an early divorce, if memory serves me.

I thought he was kicked out of Phase Linear and that's when he came up with the idea for the coffee can amp to help drum up some interest.

The coffee can amp was what led to Phase Linear.  I know I've found other posts on this site and even an interview with Bob where he discusses the early days.

Bob Carver: “When I got out of college I wanted to start an amplifier company but I was broke, and so I couldn’t afford a chassis, I couldn’t afford heat sinks. But I was able to come up with a Folger’s coffee can. I used that coffee can as the chassis to build the amplifier in. …I didn’t have enough money to buy a transformer either.”

Scott Wilkinson (Home Theater Geeks):  “What did you use in place of the transformer?”

Bob C: “The line. The transformer on the pole.”

Scott W: “Did you actually sell any of them?”

Bob C: “In those days there was something called The McIntosh Amplifier Clinic… Everybody brought their amplifiers to the Clinic, put them up on the bench to be tested and would get a nice little graph of its performance… So I took my coffee can amp, went down to the McIntosh Clinic and had it tested, and I got a graph to die for. I was so happy that I got that graph… There were all these wires coming out of the coffee can and people were sitting around joking… You have to remember most amplifiers in those days were 20, 30, 40, 50 watts. The big Mac 75 watt amplifier was among the largest amplifiers around, and they were heavy too. I took my little coffee can – it didn’t have a transformer in it, remember? – 350 watts. And they didn’t believe me. And they ran it up, the lights went out in the store, got a new fuse in the lights, and finally got this graph. I made copies of this graph and that got me started. I was in business with that graph.”

Note that Bob identified this coffee can as a "Phase Linear 700":

20140330082907347.jpg 
  • Thank You 3

Just not sure where to put this.......mods please move at your discretion.

May 1972 "AUDIO" mag.      https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Audio/70s/Audio-1972-05.pdf

Daniel Meyer disrespects Bob.......Bob answers back

Page 18 and 20                Phase Linear add on Page 91

My Favourite quote.... we at Phase Linear don't wish to increase the incidence of hernia among audiophiles with state of the art, but power hungry, speaker systems.

Edited by PDR
additions
  • Thank You 4