Jump to content

jmcipale

Member
  • Posts

    114
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    3

Everything posted by jmcipale

  1. Good evening folks, I am pleased to announce that Musica V1.1 is in final validtion/release testing. Musica has been upgraded with Notes V1.0. Notes is a browser-based UI that can run on an Apache server or as a stand-alone python-based web server. It comes with a full UI that allows users to Query/Add/Edit/Delete the Musica database from the browser frontend. Notes works with any currently supported browser: Firefox, Chrome, Chromium, Safari, Internet Explorer. It is a python-based application that can run on Win 1X, MacOS and Linux. A few screen shots are posted below for a quick preview. Once the release completes release testing and documentation is revised, I will post the link to github. Joe
      • 3
      • That Rocks
      • Thank You
  2. A little bit of Gary... Followed by some Street Life
  3. @Sk1Bum Tomorrow it will be either Miles or Gary Burton.
  4. Because... I need some Russ Freeman
  5. Its a Kenny Barron night -
  6. It is hard to find anything bad by Dave. My personal fave is Nightlines. The cool thing is about this shop is, I am heading up to Aberdeen this weekend for my 50th HS reunion (OMG I am old!). I will have to stop in to see what new pieces he has.
  7. Finally getting around to playing a batch of records I picked up at a 2nd hand store in lil ol Aberdeen, WA. The owner of the shop has a good idea for good quality recordings! I pay a little bit more ($8-12), but every single piece has been near mint in terms of media quality. Here are two pieces I listened to tonight:
  8. The things you find at Goodwill...
  9. Not sure why I like this theme so much. Hearing Grusin's take on it last night made it a pleasant ear worm. Soooooooo, I thought I would play the original...
  10. Grusin and The Rippingtons: Two of my fave GRP artists.
  11. Its a Grusin kind of night...
  12. Gotta throw on some Orzabel and Smith - and a little bit of Street Life (The Crusaders)...
  13. Two can play this game... 😁 This entire album is a masterpiece!
  14. Thanks Daddyjt. I will simply avoid the seller who posts info about adding a tariff tax on their store front.
  15. A bit of a rant here (stop me if you have had enough of that in general). I heard a new big band - WDR Big Band from Cologne, Germany (Thank you Jazz London and KCSM). So i thought I would take a look at what they had available from the discography. First stop - discogs (big mistake. HUGE!). For whatever reason, recordings, be they vinyl or CD format, the price to ship from Europe is at/near $100 per recording! I damn near keeled over! Next stop - Amazon. It was a little better, $18-$20/recording, but then they get you with a 'tariff' tax! *sighs* It would almost be cheaper to take a flight to Cologne, grab what I can and fly back, hiding the music in the false bottom of my luggage to avoid the damn 'Duty Tax'. Who knew people would consider smuggling recorded music in this day an age?
  16. @Charlie The MoFi version of Benson's LP is outstanding! My fave of his has got to be White Rabbit.
  17. @Kurt - Discogs is simply bloated. Kevin Lewandoski (who i used to work with at Intel) had a great idea, initially, but then he made the tool a 'once size fits all' tool. Can find a recording, ok, create the entry yourself - but DON'T insert Bonnie Rait under 'Folk' music! Don't create multiple releases because YOUR copy doesnt match that of another entry that utilizes THE EXACT SAME INFO other than the genre or order of performers. There is a lot of chaff that goes with discogs: Too many genres for one recording. Infighting among submitters/moderators with no guidance on how to avoid hiccups. Sellers who are shady, buyers who want the world for nothing (yes, I know, it is no different than eBay). All-in-all what started out as method to curate ones collection has become a black hole of useless information. Even the Forums have become polluted with politics, in-fighting, and other facets that you find on facebook. I keep discogs around for one reason: Insurance purposes. If something were to happen to my collection (fire, storm damage, burglary), then I have an idea as to replacement value. But I WILL NOT buy or sell from the site.
  18. If my memory serves, you can look at PartsExpress for a comparable part. I don't know/cant recall if that is a National Semiconductor, Motorola or Hitachi part. Worst case, ask chatgpt or geminiAI for a compstible replacement part.
  19. Like a little kid with a new toy, I am streaming Jazz24 via my WiiM.
  20. @AndrewJohn I cant say I have ever seen/considered such an add-on. I am still trying to wrap my 2 brain cells around integrating a new transport into my existing 3200! 😝🤣
  21. Been there, tried that... the working units ALL GO for $400+. Organ donor units tend to have the same issue (unable to read/skipping CD). Besides, I am semi-retired and I need a hobby. 😁
  22. @AndrewJohn I did a little more digging on this (more than I care to admit) and what is coming up continually is the DLBA1 is essentially degrading. laser diodes, like other diodes/semiconductor devices age out and weaken. The DLBA1 is 'ancient' technology and is no longer being made (we all know that, sadly). Even 'organ donors' are not reliable (too often, the symptoms of the donor are the same as I have described). This leaves me with one of a handful of choices: Keep the Carver as a museum piece. Play ONLY new CDs or play it occasionally (and live with the bouncing laser). Take a completely radical direction and 'restore' the unit with a new transport/laser/DAC and tie that into the existing Carver electronics (think replacing a ford 289 V8 with a chevy small block 350 V8). Damn you, Bob Carver! Why did you make me care for the sound of this unit so much!? 🤣
×
×
  • Create New...