Hiya - I tend to jump without looking...

Hi all! I was casually looking to upgrade and came across a M-400a and a C-4000 and being the sucker for beautiful, odd tech that I am, I jumped on them and they are on their way. I'm reading up on what I should do, cleaning wise, before I hook them up - but if anyone has any tips, I am all ears!

Also, my speakers are beautiful 1950's RCA's that I figured out are 2ohm. I do have a speaker switch with impedance protection that seems to work. Was the M-400a a terrible choice to power these?

I'd love any and all input - Cheers! 

First of all, welcome. Glad to have you at the Carversite. The techy people will be along soon for your questions. Enjoy all things Carver. Perhaps you need some Carver speakers as well?? 14.gif

Howdy phfowol and welcome to the forum. Glad you found us.

Hi all! I was casually looking to upgrade and came across a M-400a and a C-4000 and being the sucker for beautiful, odd tech that I am, I jumped on them and they are on their way. I'm reading up on what I should do, cleaning wise, before I hook them up - but if anyone has any tips, I am all ears!
Any 30+ year old electronics will need to be recapped in order to meet it's original specs.
And due to the tight quarters the M-400 is one of the more difficult amps to rebuild.
That said several members have gotten good at it and there is lots of info about the process.
Here's a few threads that you should read:

M-400 Recap Advice

M-400t Refurb

JVanDykeTX is the C-4000 guru but he hasn't been around recently and never posted much about the details.
Member and pro service tech BassPig did his own, plus a few for customers, but again no details are available.

Also, my speakers are beautiful 1950's RCA's that I figured out are 2ohm. I do have a speaker switch with impedance protection that seems to work. Was the M-400a a terrible choice to power these?
While the OM doesn't list a 2 ohm rating for the M-400a the manual indicates it's doable:

20150911183611681.jpg 

Let us know how that combo works out for you.

Also tell us a lttile about yourself and post some pix of you toys so we don't have to beg you for them. emwink.gif 
  • Thank You 1

In the early-mid 1980s I ran 2 M400As into 4 ohm AR9 speakers. I ran them every way possible. Bridged mono, biamped with and without an active (electronic) crossover and stereo. We were young at the time and used to throw big parties. The M400s were the star of the show! We would turn it up till the headroom was exhausted, then turn it down just a little bit and run them for several hours that way with a fan helping to keep them cool. Once in a while the protection circuits would step in and make us turn it down a bit. My memories of the M400s are all good. Great sounding workhorses with protection that will save them from the owner pushing them to their limits on a regular basis. I still smile thinking about those days and the M400s made many fond memories.. Enjoy.

• Thank You 1

Thanks all! 

zumbini - Thanks for the links! Once the cube arrives, i'll open it up and see if I feel comfortable recapping myself - I am still very much a novice. If not, I'm sure I can find someone to give me a hand or find a tech. Makes sense that it's a bit cramped in there. 
Seem that quote is for the 400t, not the a. Think it's still possible with the a? 

Ar9Jim - Thanks for sharing! Sounds like you had lots of fun with them - I'm excited to see what it can do!!