Warped LPs

Balok

From time to time, I score a fantastic used LP only to find that when i spin it, it is badly warped.

I have read about a few techniques to flatten a warped record. example: place record between two sheets of glass and put in oven at low heat , or place the record between two pieces of glass and place in the sun until it flattens and then slowly cool. Has anyone ever successfully flattened a warped LP and if so, how did you do it.

Thanks

From time to time, I score a fantastic used LP only to find that when i spin it, it is badly warped.

I have read about a few techniques to flatten a warped record. example: place record between two sheets of glass and put in oven at low heat , or place the record between two pieces of glass and place in the sun until it flattens and then slowly cool. Has anyone ever successfully flattened a warped LP and if so, how did you do it.

Thanks

Balok, there are several great record flattening machines that operate on the very same principle. The problem with using glass in the sun is that you have no control over the tempreature that it can reach and only 1 side of the record gets heated at a time resulting in a half assed job most of the time. Ovens are also finicky and require a lot of guesswork to get good results. The main problem really lies in the fact that the centre portion is thicker than the groved area due to the 2 labels so you never get a truly flat surface and often you will even get tons of timy pipples instead of a few slight warps.

Some of the machines actually have a small recess for the record label on each side so they give much better results. In any case your records MUST be ABSOLUTELY be clean as a whistle before you attempt any flattening or the crud will bake into the grooves permanently.

Thanks for the interesting info OBI56. I don't think that i could justify buying a machine to flatten the few warped records i have but i now understand some of the limits of trying half-assed techniques. Thanks.

Thanks for the interesting info OBI56. I don't think that i could justify buying a machine to flatten the few warped records i have but i now understand some of the limits of trying half-assed techniques. Thanks.

Another successful reply from the Wizard Of Carver Audio. This threads a wrap then I guess.=d> =d> =d>

Another successful reply from the Wizard Of Carver Audio. This threads a wrap then I guess.=d> =d> =d>

-standing offer; a nickel to anybody that can stump, mr obi56 :-"

-no doubt

-standing offer; a nickel to anybody that can stump, mr obi56 :-"

-no doubt

Maxxx, you are gonna go broke saying things like that! :dd :dd :dd

Balok, if you do look into seriously getting a flattening machine? Furutec. Great results so far from a multitude of users. If we can get enough folks into purchasing one, we can all be co-owners and pass it around for a certain time to each owner....then mailing it on to the next owner.

Each time the "owner" gets it, clean and flatten all new records and send it on it's way to the next owner. There are a select few at CP that have done this for some time now with no issues.