Record Cleaning Solutions

SteveFord

I've been collecting Records for a few decades now and I found a method that was hard to believe. Try it out on one that your comfortable if you ruin it and this will make a believer out of you.

I take my vinyl LP lay it out on something soft and flat and spread quick drying wood glue all over it.

I use a rubber squeeze (a stiff windshield wiper will work) and spread it firmly and even around the LP.

Let it dry, and peel off (wood glue will not stick to vinyl) it will however pull all dirt grease and grime that has accumulated on the LP. Play your LP and you will noticeably hear the difference

Most people think I'm full of it, but try it and you'll be a believer

Glue wouldn't play nice in my record cleaning machine.
There are also ultrasonic machines which have recently been introduced but the price is way up there.
I wonder if a commercial ultrasonic machine intended for another use couldn't be successfully adapted to albums?

Good post.
Overkill is the fun of the hobby.  A couple years back read an article about what those guys at LOC are going through. I'll try to find it.

The search for a clean record is part of the hobby.
The new guys need not be scared off as just dish soap and water will clean a yard sale record up.

LPs are the new kids on the block these days as tubes also make a come back.  Anyone paying a lot for a better turntable MUST (in my opinion) factor in the cost of a vaccum style record cleaner.  Then mixing the right cleaning fluids is as much fun as science.  Even a newly opened LP needs a wet bath to take off the static.

There's not all that much to a RCM - a holding tank for the solution, an aquarium pump for the liquid, the cleaning brush, platter, motor, wand, vacume motor and another holding tank with a drain.
You could probably copy my VPI 17 for around $200 in parts.
If anybody does buy a VPI machine, do yourself a big favor and remove the liquid tanks and put some varnish or plastic or something in that area.  They just bolted it to particle board and it will get wet and disintegrate and then you'll be cursing up a storm.

I use a lower end Nitty Gritty.

If you have good records, or once they are cleaned, you don't need a lot to maintain them.

Buy a manual model and move up if you find a need for that.

I never play a record with out a run through, takes a minute and adds to the ritual.

Many who slam LPs don't have clean records.