New guy from Michigan..

I sold a lot of TFM-25 and other TFM series amps at Stereo Showcase.  They are fine performers.  I would consider the Carver 1.0t amp to be superior in many ways, provided it has been modified to the current best configuration.  Many of the early ones did have some stability problems and age will make that more likely.  The best news is when you get it properly done it is one of the very best amps in my opinion.  I have a nice TFM-55 that would love your Maggies.  Care to part with one of those Gibsons?  I also love tube guitar amps.  Here are some shots of the amp.  Jim
20140514051646534.jpg 20140514051711476.jpg
20140514051758535.jpg 20140514051858291.jpg
Provided they are "real" Gibsons, of course. 
  • Thank You 1

Welcome, good to have you onboard. You will meet a group of  tech savvy gentlemen here, generous of knowledge, DIY guidance and gear. My skill level tops out at screwdriver and soldering iron but reading everything here enabled me to rescue my old ALS, make informed choices on improving home audio and for that I am grateful. Best wishes on your project

Jim - Thanks for the offer!

One of them is a Gibson Studio that I rebuilt... it was in a sorry state.. the other is an Epi that I also fixed a headstock break on...  Unfortunately, neither is up for grabs as they are my babies!

They look great.  Here are a few of mine.  All made in Kalamazoo at 225 Parsons Street.  I have a few more downstairs.  Jim
20140514061250419.jpg 
The last Heritage Bass ever made.  A prototype, custom model, made for me by the employees with their signatures under the control cover.  One of a kind, loaded with unique features including stereo outputs  and multiple pickup options.
20140514061521243.jpg 
Just like Ted Nugent's H-550 but not blonde, Antique Sunburst, with deluxe package and HRW pickups.  Tap tuned, beautiful.  My overall favorite to play and smooth as warm butter.
20140514061806890.jpg 
Heritage H-555C, gold package, butterscotch translucent, flame top tiger maple.   Only "triple bound" known.  One of a kind.
20140514062027412.jpg 
1956 Gibson ES-130, tobacco sunburst, original P-90, maple bridge, a beautiful player.  Know as a "student" model.  Jim 

Welcome to the forum, Escher glad to have you aboard, enjoy the site.
What types of music do you like to listen to ?
And which bands and or artists ?
We have a "What are you listening to Now" section a great place to post your favorite tunes and discover new ones.
Blues Pwr................ 

Hmm... Well, I listen to a lot, but it generally falls into either the progressive or jazz genre most of the time.

Right now I'm listening to Lee Ritenour - Wes Bound.  Earlier I was listening to Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement (Progressive rock / metal I suppose).  

I'll get into that more in that sub forum!

As to the Carver gear - Its official - I'm now a carver owner.

I picked up a TFM25 and C1 today from my buddy for $200.  Both are very clean.

I immediately cracked open the TFM and set the alignment to factory spec per the service manual.. Then I checked the DC offset (15mv Left and 22mv on Right) just to make sure nothing was going to cook my speakers since I didn't get a chance to test the amp.  Not sure where these amps normally run for offset, but from what I have gathered based on other amps, those aren't bad values..

And since I know you guys are pic freaks - Here you go - my test rig setup..  sorry for the horrible iPhone pic.  I don't feel like getting out my dslr atm.. :)

So far I'm liking what I'm hearing.

Amp is very clean and only a little dusty inside - caps are not swollen at all.