Playlists for checking sub or low frequency playback in your 2-channel system.

garyh

What songs do you guys like for testing your sub or low frequency output/ quality on 2-channel playback?

I have a few favorites, but just thought I'd share another.  This one many of you may already know because it's one of Paul's Picks at PS Audio:

Boz Scaggs, "Thanks to You."  (Paul's list shows it on "Essential Boz Scaggs."  But I'm finding it on "Dig" on both Amazon Music and Tidal).

Paul talks about how most systems won't do justice to the low synth note at the end of the intro, and if you get a good response there, you probably have decent bass integration/ playback.  When I first read his list, I played the song on YouTube to check it out and hearing the bass, I was like, hmm, that doesn't seem so low or difficult.  But... naturally, even though my PC system with decent soundcard, speakers and sub sounds pretty good, it wasn't finding those low notes.  Not close.

The track continues with notes just as low throughout.  Lots of really, really low bass – the sort that even at medium volume gets your body buzzing.  On my HT setup with my SVS Ultra Towers and my SVS subs, I'm hearing good clean wonderful sounding bass down in the 30Hz range and maybe lower, from what I can tell.  Crazy low bass and nice to test your setup and sub integration.

Just thought I’d put it out there as something to test your bass if you haven’t tried it yet.  I have other favorites too – some Genesis tracks I’m real familiar with, e.g., “Firth of Fifth.”  But that’s more for overall quality, not quite as low as those licks in “Thanks to You.”  And then there’s Kanye West’s “Runaway” that’s an onslaught of low bass throughout – a serious test, esp. at volume.

Boz Scaggs “Thanks to You.” (Really low synth licks here and there).

Genesis “Firth of Fifth”  (More of a melodic test - Rutherford's bass guitar).

Kanye West “Runaway.” (Slamming synth throughout).

What songs do you guys use to test bass?  What songs get real, real low?  I’d like to put some I haven’t thought of or heard on my list.

Good thread, thanks.  Lots of great bass lines there.  But I'm looking for more really really really low bass notes in songs.  

It is crazy how low those notes on that Scaggs song are.