6200 RCA Input Troubleshooting

Hi there. First post on the forum. I've got an issue with my 6200 and was looking for some troubleshooting tips. I've had the amp for a few months and the phono preamp works just fine with my turntable. I recently added a cassette deck and CD player and found that all the other inputs (CD, Aux, etc.) do not work. I use the tape out (RCA to 3.5mm) with a small headphone tube amp and that also works fine. Has anyone encountered this or a similar situation before? Anyone have any tips or advice they could share? Thanks in advance for your assistance!

• Thank You 4

@pbzka  Welcome to the site.  We've got a lot of free info on Carver equipment, but only have the service manual for the 6200.  There is an owners manual for the 6250 which is likely similar to the 6200.

The first step in troubleshooting your receiver is to determine the full extent of the problems.  Does the tuner work?  Do the audio connections for video work?  It's odd that the phono would work fine with the other audio inputs not working.  Does the remote work at all (if there is one)?

Often when all the inputs stop working you will find the tape switch is in the wrong position.  Judging from the 6250 manual, the tape switch must be pointed UP to allow the phono/tuner/CD/Aux/Video inputs to function.  I know, your phono works fine, but did you move any switches during your test?  

Once the full extent of the problems are determined and cockpit error is eliminated you have a very challenging job.  The 6200 appears to use solid state switching to switch among inputs.  Do you have the skills and test equipment to trouble shoot this?  Once you get past opening the cover and looking for burned components, you will need a multi meter, oscilloscope and a test signal generator to narrow down exactly where the failure might be.  You will also need electronic skills, patience and good eye sight to read the schematics in the service manual.  Receivers are a tough place to start your Carver trouble shooting education, so you might want to consider sending it to a professional for repair/restoration.  That receiver is over 30 years old and may be suffering from a variety of age related issues.   

Try the search functions of the site as well.  A simple search for 6200 turns up a lot of older posts.  Not sure if any pertain to your situation, but it would be useful to review them.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find.

Welcome to the site and as @wrf mentioned, the search function could contain older posts that might be helpful. Much better to go into an expedition knowing a little bit more about the landscape.

First, have no experience with the 6200.

Took a look at the service manual and I must say they did a decent job at labeling some of the jumper ribbons with its respective signal. This in itself helps to identify the particular signal path you are following, or at least it gets you started.

I would start on page 39 of the pdf in the lower left corner of the schematic and follow the signal from each respective input. 

Enjoy your journey.

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I think it may be a bad tape monitor switch as the LED does not illuminate when the switch is on. I will take your advice and search the forums for 6200 troubleshooting tips. Thanks again!

• Thank You 1