Ultramafic1 12 Posted September 18 Posted September 18 Hi all! - I stumbled onto this site while looking for preamp options to pair with a power amp that I am having built for me. Have heard a lot of good things about Carvers, especially those that have been upgraded/modified. Current equipment is a Yamaha S701 and '86 Klipsch Cornwalls. I mostly stream music using an older Macbook and Topping D10s. Decided to go back to using separate components which i haven't done since my youth. I'll start looking through the postings regarding preamps and preamp modifications to get some ideas. Anyway, welcome your thoughts and suggestions for taking my system up a notch or two! Jeff 7
Jeff Stone 461 Posted September 18 Posted September 18 Welcome to TCS! If you stick around long you might start collecting Carver gear like I did. I run a Carver C-16 preamp with my system and love it!
BobTFM35 3,377 Posted September 19 Posted September 19 Welcome to the Carver site!! What type of amp are you having built? I like your idea of using separate components because in this way you have versatility. There are so many options that you can choose for a Carver Preamp. You have units like the C-1 up to the C-19 that are excellent performers. My system is built on using seperates. Two preamps, the C-4000 and 4000t, are units that have some special features that I particularly like. My son purchased a C-4000 and after it was restored, I used it for an extended period of time in my system to break it in. Each of them have unique features such as Peak Unlimiter, Auto Correlator noise reduction system, and its Time Delay and Sonic Hologram Generator. You can also look at the HR and the CT line and choose a model that incorporates pre outs into their design. This way you can introduce more amps into your system as it grows. These have remotes with volume control function. The C series can be retrofitted with remote volume control. The C-19 is a tube preamp if that is of interest. Here is a reference for a place that specializes in restorations and upgrades. Greg is a member here. "Choosing Nelion Audio means more than selecting a repair shop; it signifies embracing an ethos that values your musical enjoyment and the longevity of your hard-earned gear. We are prepared to guide you through the world of high-fidelity audio, ensuring worry-free experiences with vintage equipment. Join us on this journey as we explore and create new and exciting audio adventures together. We are here for you!" Services - Nelion Audio 2
Ultramafic1 12 Posted September 20 Author Posted September 20 On 9/18/2026 at 3:51 PM, Jeff Stone said: Welcome to TCS! If you stick around long you might start collecting Carver gear like I did. I run a Carver C-16 preamp with my system and love it! Thanks. I've decided to start off with the C-1. Found one that is a one owner and seems to be in very nice shape. Hopefully it gets to me in one piece! 1
Ultramafic1 12 Posted September 20 Author Posted September 20 On 9/19/2026 at 3:19 AM, BobTFM35 said: Welcome to the Carver site!! What type of amp are you having built? I like your idea of using separate components because in this way you have versatility. There are so many options that you can choose for a Carver Preamp. You have units like the C-1 up to the C-19 that are excellent performers. My system is built on using seperates. Two preamps, the C-4000 and 4000t, are units that have some special features that I particularly like. My son purchased a C-4000 and after it was restored, I used it for an extended period of time in my system to break it in. Each of them have unique features such as Peak Unlimiter, Auto Correlator noise reduction system, and its Time Delay and Sonic Hologram Generator. You can also look at the HR and the CT line and choose a model that incorporates pre outs into their design. This way you can introduce more amps into your system as it grows. These have remotes with volume control function. The C series can be retrofitted with remote volume control. The C-19 is a tube preamp if that is of interest. Here is a reference for a place that specializes in restorations and upgrades. Greg is a member here. "Choosing Nelion Audio means more than selecting a repair shop; it signifies embracing an ethos that values your musical enjoyment and the longevity of your hard-earned gear. We are prepared to guide you through the world of high-fidelity audio, ensuring worry-free experiences with vintage equipment. Join us on this journey as we explore and create new and exciting audio adventures together. We are here for you!" Services - Nelion Audio Thank you. Looking forward to it. Came across the Phoenix site (and this site) while looking for repair options for my old PL 200. Decided to go with the White Oak Audio 400 build for the amp. I am going to start off combining it with a C-1. Found a nice one owner piece that I think will work, but will have to look into some of those other Carver preamp options you listed. Yes, with the purchase of the C-1 an appointment with Nelion Audio may be in cards! 3 1
BobTFM35 3,377 Posted September 20 Posted September 20 @Ultramafic1 That will be a fantastic build on the amp and a great combination with the C-1 if I may say so. Why, my son has a PL 400 paired with a C-1 in his B system. I think you are going to like it. 1
Receiver2000 5,248 Posted September 21 Posted September 21 Welcome!!!! Great to have you with us!!! 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now