Anybody know what made this sound

PDR

Today I had some time in the afternoon to actually sit down and listen to my rig.

I decided to listen to some old tunes I havnt heard in a long while......one of them was Fleetwood Mac.....Rumours.

I had forgotten just how well this album was produced and was enjoying it a lot.....when I heard something I had never heard before.

It was on track 9..."I dont want to know". I was listening for the different instruments being played......I still swear there is

mandolin being played.....but I know similar sounds can be made with a capo up high....anyway, at the beginning of the song

there is an audible slide on the guitar...but then I noticed a chirping sound....like a bird right after it. I listened again....and can hear it twice. It happens at the beginning of the song(right after the first chord)and again before the vocals begin. It comes from the left side.....I think its a guitar slide.....but.....I dont know. I have been playing guitar and mandolin for many years but have never heard a "chirp" like this. What do you guys think....I know you have it....give it a listen....let me know what you figure it is..... 

Could that sound be made using a Dobro? I do know that this type of guitar was used during the recording of Rumors, but am uncertain if it was used on the song you are speaking of. Lindsay Buckingham was a big proponent of dubbing sounds into their recordings as well, so the "bird" you hear may very well be just that. I will spin up Rumors later today and report back.

I dont know......I know what a dobro is....but I dont think it would make that chirping sound.....they are more like a tin sounding slide guitar. There are a few points in the song that you obviously hear a guitar scratch......this is more like a chirp

or a squeaky bike wheel been spun.

I know this isnt an big deal......just a bit of fun with music.

I believe the sound you hear is that of a 12 string guitar, and sliding back and forth between the two necks. Thanks for posting this as it was nice to play this recording again. My CD copy was signed by the group and hasn't been played in years.

• 4 months later...

RichP nailed it..fingers moving up in chord formation...to the next chord. Ronnie Hawkins was trying to teach Robbie Robertson one of his songs and told Robertson to stop squeaking the strings...Robbie replied...Shit Ronnie! even Andre Segovia squeaks his strings...Ronnie's reply was ..." I know boy! that's why he ain't in my band"...