Carver C1 as phono pre

Hikari

Hey guys,

I modded my Carver C1 w/the 2134 op amp and new caps. I am currently using it as a phono stage only, running it through the tape out into a tube buffer then an amp w/a passive preamp in front of out. Sounds good. In fact, the C1 w/the 2134 IC makes for an excellent phono stage.

Which got me thinking... the only "bad" component I can see in the signal path of the phono stage is the 22uf electrolytic coupling cap right before it goes to the tape out. I replaced the stock cap with a nichicon es bipolar but do I really need a coupling cap here? I've got input caps on the tube buffer, input caps in the amp. DC shouldnt be an issue. Could I replace the 22uf coupling cap w/a lower value (say 2UF) non-electrolytic? Should I go capless? 

Thanks. You guys know this stuff better than me.  

Well, I know this is the Carver forum and love for the C1 us probably unanimous here but Ive realized that the best preamp for me is no preamp at all...just a stepped attenuator in front of the amp. I still like the C1 phono stage though and the variable loading is handy. With the passive preamp setup you give up ability to get loud (less gain) but you get a greater sense of transparency and detail. Its a trade off for sure. The great thing about this setup is a still use the c1 to switch between cd and phono. Now if I could only figure out if I need those coupling caps in the phono stage I could potentially make the phono stage even better sounding....

This is an older thread, but the content is directly related to your discussion. I made the section of interest below bold and underlined. You might want to PM schultdw and ask his opinion. He is one of the sharpest engineering types on this forum...

When I had my C-1 opened up a while back (the source selector switch is going flaky and requires periodic cleaning) I noticed the polarized electrolytics in the signal path.

I was horrified.

But my response was simpler and cheaper than tracking down replacements. There are electrolytic capacitors in the signal path in the following locations:

1) Main line amplifiers
2) Phono stages
3) Tone controls
4) Infrasonic filter
5) Sonic hologram

The tone controls have been switched out ever since I built a subwoofer.
Ditto on the infrasonic filter since the subwoofer crossover took care of that.
I stopped using the Sonic Hologram when I bought a pair of Magnepan MMG speakers.
Sadly, my use of the phono stage has diminished to nearly never. 

So I just pulled the two electrolytics on the line amplifier and replaced them with jumpers. This could cause problems if some DC slipped in and the downstream electronics didn't block it.

I couldn't tell if there was any change but as has already been said, sonic memory is fleeting. 

But I have been thinking about a major change. The power supply regulation is nearly nonexistent (the phono stage does have zeners) and I remember reading some articles on super regulators a few years back and this seems like an ideal place.  

Thanks B-Man. That's exactly the info iam looking for.

Galaxy: Iam using a Yaqin CD2 with NOS tubes. It sounds good but mostly because it serves as an impedence matcher between my sources and passive preamp. I imagine a jfet or solid state buffer would be good as well. The yaqin improved dynamics, improved imaging and killed a little top end. Might not be so great in a more conventional setup though. Also, despite what you will read in reviews on this buffer I noticed a slight loss in detail.

My system is a thorens tt or playstattion 1 into the carver for phono and then to the yaqin. The buffer feeds a 20k ladder pot in front of a homebuilt tripath amp (class t). Speakers are Focal Chorus 714v towers. Iam pretty heavy into the diy thing and iam also cheap. So this system is working pretty well for me and has bested all the recievers and integrated amps I've tried so far.

What kind of tube buffer are you using (pictures)? Many of us here are interested in tube buffers and if you have a good one that's working well for you I'm sure that would be welcome info.
I am very happy with my Yaqin CD1 which uses the single twin triode tube.  I had the JAN Phillips green label tube which was very nice but I am currently using a Russian 6H23 tube which is nicer sounding.  This tube buffer set up even when I used the JAN Phillips tube sounded better than the Musical Fidelity X10v3 tube buffer I had.  I also used a set of Herbies Tube Dampers on the tube buffers. Adds an extra touch of realism to the sound.    

20120731210325593.jpg

What kind of tube buffer are you using (pictures)? Many of us here are interested in tube buffers and if you have a good one that's working well for you I'm sure that would be welcome info.

I use this as well as three Tube Box 11's This is where a couple of Telefunken 12ax7's are swapped in...

• 3 weeks later...
This is an older thread, but the content is directly related to your discussion. I made the section of interest below bold and underlined. You might want to PM schultdw and ask his opinion. He is one of the sharpest engineering types on this forum...

When I had my C-1 opened up a while back (the source selector switch is going flaky and requires periodic cleaning) I noticed the polarized electrolytics in the signal path.

I was horrified.

But my response was simpler and cheaper than tracking down replacements. There are electrolytic capacitors in the signal path in the following locations:

1) Main line amplifiers
2) Phono stages
3) Tone controls
4) Infrasonic filter
5) Sonic hologram

The tone controls have been switched out ever since I built a subwoofer.
Ditto on the infrasonic filter since the subwoofer crossover took care of that.
I stopped using the Sonic Hologram when I bought a pair of Magnepan MMG speakers.
Sadly, my use of the phono stage has diminished to nearly never. 

So I just pulled the two electrolytics on the line amplifier and replaced them with jumpers. This could cause problems if some DC slipped in and the downstream electronics didn't block it.

I couldn't tell if there was any change but as has already been said, sonic memory is fleeting. 

But I have been thinking about a major change. The power supply regulation is nearly nonexistent (the phono stage does have zeners) and I remember reading some articles on super regulators a few years back and this seems like an ideal place.  

Thnals B-Man. I just replaced the 22uf coupling caps with 2.2 film caps. No DC output and it's sounding good. Caps haven't broke in yet but I am hearing more air on cymbals and no reduction of bass.