Jump to content

Harryfan

Member
  • Posts

    302
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    3

Everything posted by Harryfan

  1. Yes, I still have the Platinums as my mains and the AL-IIIs as my surrounds.
  2. Yeah, the forum looks great. @AndrewJohn if you want to auction the C-9, that is fine with me. I can go ahead and send it to you for appraisal, or wait and send it to the buyer; it's entirely up to you. It is a nice-looking unit - nearly spotless. I don't know whether Rich did any internal mods. If he did, he never mentioned it.
  3. Thanks for all the greetings. And nice to see an old familiar face @Balok but a little disconcerting to see so many of our old chums in audio heaven 🤒
  4. Not new, but I've been away for a long time. I have a C-9 that Rich gave to me many years ago, but I'm not using it anymore. I'd be happy to donate it back to the forum, if you have any use for it.
  5. Thanks, Rich! Thanks, Martin! Thanks, Mark! Thanks to you all! I'm looking forward to hearing this.
  6. Anyone else having trouble downloading track 17? Rich, I think there might be an error in the URL.
  7. This collection still blows me away every time I play it. Some of the newer guys might want to check it out. Nice work, Mark.
  8. Harryfan

    Unusual Vinyl Finds

    Found these while helping my mom move out of the house I grew up in a few years back. I'd never seen or heard them before. It seems dad gave up on me at an early age.
  9. Harryfan

    Unusual Vinyl Finds

    My collection is pretty mainstream, except my pursuit of Harry covers has led me to some unusual records. This is one of my favorites - Delightfully awful record! This one is not so uncommon, really. I saw a few copies while shopping this week. But it’s a bizarre record. This one is kind of cool when you're in the right mood.
  10. Harryfan

    Unusual Vinyl Finds

    Love it, Rod. Keep 'em coming.
  11. Okay, thanks Bill. I'm always curious to give these kinds of things a listen. But at this price I think I'm going to pass.
  12. Bill, it says This DTS DVD features 4 channels of 24-bit, 96 kHz audio (down scalable to 24-bit, 48 kHz). Does this imply that it's not compressed? Some of the review comments I read suggest that it is definitely compressed. Is there any way to know for sure?
  13. I noticed that Rhino Handmade has started releasing what they call Quadio DVDs, reissues of some of those quadraphonic LP mixes from the 70s. The first Chicago album came out earlier this year. The Best of Aretha Franklin will be out soon. http://www.rhino.com/article/what-quad It says DTS DVD, so apparently they’re not high resolution. They’re just lossy DVD-videos...with no video. It seems like these would have been better suited to DVD-A or SACD. The $30 price tag seems awfully steep too, for what you’re getting.
  14. Can I send you all of my tools, Balok? I'm sure they'd be much happier with you.
  15. Anybody heard the Yes 90125 gold CD on Audio Fidelity? I never really liked the Rhino version.
  16. Lots of good info there, Monte. Just a few quick thoughts off the top of my head. New Beatles CDs Those Bowie Rykodiscs have been out-of-print for years. I'm more interested in hearing about the newer releases on Virgin. I'll probably be picking up a few of those soon. I'm not happy with the current Supertramp remasters, after hearing Crisis? and Quietest Moments... They sure sound grainy to me. The MFSL Crime of the Century is very good, but these days I'm sure it's hard to find and expensive when you do. I was also disappointed with the Dire Straits Making Movies remaster on WB, despite the SBM hype. Anyone else have any experience with their other early titles? The Peter Gabriel remasters on Geffen sound very good to me (1, 3, and So). Very smooth and detailed. Unfortunately, it looks like they all went out-of-print recently. I also like Roxy Music's Siren remaster on Virgin. Same with the recent reissue of Devo's Are We Not Men?
  17. I'm curious to hear other's thoughts on this. What discs do you take along when you want to hear what a pair of speakers, or some other piece of gear, can do?
  18. Well, I have some albums in both formats too, but that may not be a fair comparison. I just wonder, if the new Beatles remasters had been issued as SACDs, how many people would be touting the amazing improvement in sound quality due to this new hi-rez format.
  19. Looks like somebody needs a Discwasher.
  20. Re everyone’s comments on the new Beatles CDs… Tell me, for two-channel audio, do you think the newer hi-resolution formats like SACD and DVD-A really offer any advantage over redbook CDs? I’ve listened to the new Kraftwerk remasters, as well as the entire Harry catalogue that was released in Japan a few years ago. They all sound stunning. It makes me wonder if those claims about the CD format having perfect sound wasn’t true after all, the only problem was lousy mastering. I have maybe ten hybrid SACDs and, sure, they sound great, but so does the CD layer on every one of them.
×
×
  • Create New...