Recommendations for Highest Quality Recording

SteveMKentucky

For digital recordings I have also enjoyed the DMP label as talked about in earlier post. Along with Flim & the BB's two more great ones are Thom Rotella Band and Chuck Loeb. The Chuck Loeb disc "Mediterranean" is excellent. These "Bands recorded live to two track digital" not only have the super wide dynamic range but also without overdubs the imaging and soundstage is very impressive. I find that these recordings bring out the best of Sonic Holography and seem like a perfect match in some way. Lots of great music on this label. Great for demo..

Thanks Jim.  Will have to check those out.  Seems that my jazz albums/CD's are some of the best recordings I have.  They also tend to have quiet passages that accentuate a nice, noise-free system.

Looks like "The Planets" is a favorite as well.  Don't have a copy right now so will be looking. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maxresdefault.jpg

Blood, Sweat & Tears

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia 

"Blood, Sweat & Tears (also known as "BS&T") is a contemporary jazz-rock American music group. They are noted for their combination of brass and rock band instrumentation. The group recorded songs by rock/folk songwriters such as Laura NyroJames Taylorthe Band, the Rolling Stones, as well as Billie Holiday and Erik Satie. They also incorporated music from Thelonious Monkand Sergei Prokofiev into their arrangements.
They were originally formed in 1967 in New York City. Since their beginnings, the band has gone through numerous iterations with varying personnel and has encompassed a multitude of musical styles. The band is most notable for fusing of rock, blues, pop music, horn arrangements and jazz improvisation into a hybrid that came to be known as "jazz-rock". Unlike "jazz fusion" bands, which tend toward virtuosic displays of instrumental facility and some experimentation with electric instruments, the songs of Blood, Sweat & Tears merged the stylings of rockpop and R&B/soul music with big band, while also adding elements of 20th Century Classical and small combo jazz traditions..." 

"...the MFSL version of this title was one of the best MFSL CD's ever..."

Bob

AMAZON 

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (LP, Remastered) MFSL 1-251 1992

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (CD, Remastered) UDCD 559 1992

maxresdefault.jpg

Blood, Sweat & Tears

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (LP, Remastered) MFSL 1-251 1992

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (CD, Remastered) UDCD 559 1992

Very interesting.  I'm starting to think that this should have been a request for recording companies instead of specific albums.  I always like BS&T so will have to look for one of these recordings. 

That's a different title Steve, and it's sealed too.
Here are 6 copies of the self-titled CD, all under $100 ==> http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/1920293?ev=rb 

BLOOD, SWEAT AND TEARS....(COLUMBIA CD)..... $4.99 on AMAZON

That's the redbook release on CD. The Bobfather quote you posted referenced the MFSL CD (UDCD 559). 

..."...the MFSL version of this title was one of the best MFSL CD's ever..." Bob

• Thank You 1

...The Bobfather quote you posted referenced the MFSL CD (UDCD 559). 

..."...the MFSL version of this title was one of the best MFSL CD's ever..." Bob

I am planning to go after this . 

@Z... someone borrowed my original new CD and never returned it. I am still pissed at this individual.  Brick wall

I am planning to go after this . 

@Z... someone borrowed my original new CD and never returned it. I am still pissed at this individual.  Brick wall

Good luck LT.

I have a few empty sleeves and jewel boxes too..... 
  • Thank You 1

I am planning to go after this . 

Good luck LT.

I have a few empty sleeves and jewel boxes too..... 

Z... next time you plan to drive up, let me know. If you can bring some jewel cases, it would be wonderful, and please do expect compensation for them. Big Grin
Sorry I wasn't clear LT. I meant that I've had the same issue i.e. opened a jewel box and found the CD missing. 
That said, I do have a few spare hard plastic jewel boxes that you are welcome to, and would like to get together.

FYI: I've been using these slim polypropylene CD/DVD cases to replace broken ones, and for mailing.
In bulk they cost less than $0.20 each and they don't crack when shipped like hard plastic cases. 
They also use 1/2 the shelf space of a standard jewel box (important when you have as many as I do ). 
20150918110128461.jpg
  • Thank You 2

51aC-%2BUVCNL.jpg

REFERENCE RECORDINGS RR-57 CD (HDCD) 

"...While the (Carver) ALS did very well on every type of material, the vocal reproduction, both solo and choral, proved to be a particular strength, if one had to choose a single genre from all that these speakers reproduce so well. Reference Recordings’ A Gaelic Blessing (from the Rutter Requiem CD) was a marvel..." TAS October 2015

MI0001038777.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

"...One of our favorite CDs for power testing is the "Fanfare for the Common Man" by Copland. The version on Telarc, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, is incredible. Opening bass drum thuds are amp killers (speaker killers too). The Carver Platinums are one of the few speaker designs that can take these drum thuds with high power amplifiers, and will show up any clipping...." 

Its great listening to the high end recordings listed here in this post. The quality brings out the best in a system and is impressive for sure. The only down side is that about 1/2 of my music collection sounds poor by comparison. Its easy to get spoiled with the good stuff and the average, common recordings sound flat and not so good. Guess thats a good problem.

• Thank You 1

The only down side is that about 1/2 of my music collection sounds poor by comparison.

I have ended up with many a duplicate, DSoTM (3x), Who (3x), Fleetwood Mac(4x),...

If I am in a hurry, the not-so-good one plays in a changer, otherwise the better recording plays in a 490t. I have noticed the human brain will enrich music from memory and fill in the gaps quite often. 

• Thank You 2

The only down side is that about 1/2 of my music collection sounds poor by comparison.

I have ended up with many a duplicate, DSoTM (3x), Who (3x), Fleetwood Mac(4x),...

If I am in a hurry, the not-so-good one plays in a changer, otherwise the better recording plays in a 490t. I have noticed the human brain will enrich music from memory and fill in the gaps quite often. 

I have close to 30,000 titles on CD, LP, 45, 78, RTR and cassette, and probably 20% is not fit for critical listening.
Many of my favorites were poorly recorded to start with (for instance early Blue Oyster Cult and Wishbone Ash).
Others titles I only have on cassettes that were recorded in the 60's and 70's before I had a DBX compander.
That doesn't prevent me from enjoying the music while searching for better sounding versions.
  • Thank You 3

Many of my favorites were poorly recorded to start with (for instance early Blue Oyster Cult and Wishbone Ash).Others titles I only have on cassettes that were recorded in the 60's and 70's before I had a DBX commander. That doesn't prevent me from enjoying the music while searching for better sounding versions.

Saw Wishbone Ash and Cult live aeons ago. I have stuff on tape but have not had a chance to take out the DRW-660 yet. Did not realize you liked such bands. Very Cool