New to the forum from California

Hello, I am new to the forum.

I have an opportunity to purchase either a C-16 or C-19 preamp. The C-19 costs quite a bit more. Both of them will need some refurbishing and I have seen the recommendations here for that. I am leaning toward the C-16 because of the lower cost and sonically it “may” be superior to the C-19 from what I read. Although the tubes in the C-19 are unique and probably make it more collectible, my main concerns are sound quality and reliability. I am worried the C-19 will become harder to maintain over time. Maybe that is unfounded. 

I welcome your opinions and thanks for having me!

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1

• Community Admin

Lots to look at, when considering.  Pics help..., Generally, both these preamps have the potential to turn "purple-ish" due to what many believe to be a reaction to Ammonia-based cleaners (like Windex)..., seem to turn the faceplates purple.  That won't hurt the function, just looks funny, and should negotiate the price, accordingly.

I've had both the C-19 and the C-16 and prefer the C-16.  The C-16 has Sonic holography, the C-19 does not - if that makes a difference to you.

Both are fine components.  Both benefit from being refreshed since by now, consumable components like capacitors have reached the end of their expected lifespan.

Beware that the C-19, while it has tubes, is not a "Tube Preamp."  The tubes are in the output stage and the phono-stage as a tube buffer.  If you are into Vinyl, you may like that latter part, but if you don't do vinyl at all, then there may be less value.

Granted, the C-19 is the TOL, the top of the line, and looks great matched with a TFM-75 in your rack!! 😉  And does a great job as a Preamp.  You won't lose if you get a good deal and want to resell ... that is if the good deal is not above market price (whatever someone is willing to pay).  While I let my C19 go, I often think of getting another one.  But for now, I'm happy with the C-16.  And like it's different controls.  I have a Musical Fidelity Tube Buffer in the processor loop..., which also is something you can do.

@Nahash5150on the Nelion website has a good description of how the tubes work in the C-19 -  an ostensibly solid-state preamp- here: Carver C-19 full restore - Carver Preamplifiers - Nelion Audio

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

image.jpeg.a32e5a51e103f38869ac869ad5478199.jpeg

Welcome to the group @Dimitri!  I can't answer with any certainty as I haven't had the luxury of hearing a C-19, but I suspect you can't go too far wrong with either of those - choose based on what you want and update the internals and you'll have a great pre for a very many years.

If it comes down to SH as the decider, then just remember, you can always pick up a C-9 to add to the C-19 for that - don't let that be a limit for you.

Good luck and enjoy the result!!!!  :D