DTL 200 mk2

I’m the original owner of a DTL 200 mk I recently replaced the drive belt and upon play I get a disc error. Unit appears to index the disc properly, then alternates between sections.

what is the problem and what is the fix?

• Thank You 1

• Community Admin
15 hours ago, OldSchool said:

I’m the original owner of a DTL 200 mk I recently replaced the drive belt and upon play I get a disc error. Unit appears to index the disc properly, then alternates between sections.

what is the problem and what is the fix?

That's a very old unit..., and it could be a lot of things.  I'm not a tech, but this is what I have done to keep my DTL 200 MkII alive.  

Belts, replace them.  You did this.

Be sure to clean off any residue, grease or "goo" left behind from old belts melting or deteriorating on the pulleys.

While in there replacing belts, be sure to clean off the old yellow sticky grease on the moving parts of the transport (CD drive) and relubricate with a nice white lithium grease (that's what I use, others may prefer another.  If the transport slides and the laser slides are not moving well, it's possible that you get a disk (read) error.

Also, while in there, find some "lens cleaning tissue paper" (no, don't use a q-tip, it might scratch) and VERY GENTLY clean the laser lens.

These typically are the "mechanical" reasons for a disk (read) error.

There may be electronic reasons - that are above my skill level.  There are some that swear by re-capping the entire system board(s) that sound improves, but I don't know if that will improve the disk error issue.

Finally, one more thing that can be a solution..., is to buy a parts machine on ebay, and swap out the transport (disk drive).  Yours may well have just reached its end of life.  A donor parts unit may have less hours.  It's a gamble, but I've resurrected more than one Carver CD player that way.

Hope that helps.  And, if not, post a picture of the error, and your transport (of the unit with the cover off..., that might help someone else here on the forum, provide additional guidance for you.

Buy a new player and keep this for decoration.  Many, many better sounding cd players.  I ripped all if mine to a server so I don't even touch them anymore.  Sometimes I ponder taking the guts if a newer player and putting in the DTL-200; but then I talk myself out of it as I don't care.  I had a $1500 (msrp) Onkyo Reference CD player for a short time a couple years back. Sounded nice but never used it.  Everyone is different though.

• Thank You 1