New Member - TFM-35x Amplifier Protect Mode

Greetings,
Came here looking for information and insight on the Carver TFM-35x Amplifier. 
Considering a re-cap on my original, 1995 device which triggers the protect mode cycle at only about 25-35% volume.
A service manual would certainly be helpful,  if there is such.

Edited by SWBoss
Spelling correction.
  • Thank You 5

• The title was changed to New Member - TFM-35x Amplifier Protect Mode
  • Community Admin

Welcome to the site, @SWBoss, glad you found us.  this is the place with lots of information.

I had a TFM-35x as one of my first amps.  Great little amp.

Did you check the Manuals Library for the service manual? Check out the menu at the top of the home page, click on manuals, and you should find it there.

image.png

• Thank You 4

@SWBoss Welcome to the Carver Site. Searching in the manuals section of the site will give you a service manual for your 35x. It will have several pages of schematics and I think a BOM of parts.

Good luck with the repair of your 35x.

• Thank You 1

Thanks for the kind welcomes.

Having no prior Carver repair experience,  I'm interested in opinions of those with said experience and suggestions as to behavior causes for such a protect cycle on this model.

As mentioned, the amp triggers the protect mode cycle at about 25-35% volume.  The power meters (built-in Watts - Level dB) appear to be normal and typical.   I have yet to nu-install the unit and open it up.  

Thanks,

• Thank You 1

I have no experience related to your situation and the following are questions to maybe help in diagnose of the problem.

What ohm speakers are you using?

Their max power rating?

Speaker wire connections for loose strands touching each other.

Length and gauge of the wire?

The above may or may not have any connection, I just thought I would ask to eliminate items that are easier to look at.

Edited by BobTFM35
  • Thank You 2

Speakers and wiring are the same setup I've been using for 30 years.  Recently checked.  No problems there.  Thanks for the suggestions though.

I was hoping there may be some common, characteristic causal condition others have come across with this model (or similar ones),  before starting diagnostics from scratch.

I'll keep watching this post.