Carver Amazing speakers and recapping.

Hi.was wondering if anyone has done recapping etc. to the Amazing speakers for better sound.Thinking that there older now and parts in the crossover may be out of specs..Any help appreciated..thanks Bill

• Thank You 3

I placed an order yesterday for new electrolytic caps for my ALS III’s.

I went cheap on this event, not opting for higher-end caps.

One of these crossovers has taken out a channel on two different amps…🤨

• Thank You 1
  • Ut Oh 1

• Community Admin
1 hour ago, Scifibilly said:

Hi.was wondering if anyone has done recapping etc. to the Amazing speakers for better sound.Thinking that there older now and parts in the crossover may be out of specs..Any help appreciated..thanks Bill

It's been done before.  And, probably a good thing to do - your choice, as @xavionics notes, on whether you want to go with high-end caps, or basic ones.

I've not recapped my Amazing crossovers, but other speakers.  I used capacitors from Parts Express for the purpose - they seem to have a good selection of radial caps for speaker crossovers, of reasonable quality.

Share some pictures as you do this project! 😉  We'd love to watch.

Oh, yes, be sure to search, or review the threads in the Speaker forum, as I recall this project being done before and documented in a thread on the site.

• Thank You 2

I have a set of Silvers that I recapped about 3 years ago.  I went with Metalized polypropylene caps (Solens). Cost at the time was about $300. The issue is for the values required in film caps, they end up being too large to fit under the back cover.  I ended up installing saddles on the base board and running leads up to the crossover.  Here are some pics, including one of the crossover before recap.

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2469(1).jpg

IMG_2483(1).jpg

IMG_2489(1).jpg

IMG_2491(1).jpg

• Thank You 2