Hello again.

Hello All again.  I had to re-register as a new member because the site lost my info.  I've not been too active in the Forums for the last few years but now I'm in the market for some new amps, pre-amps ect.  I'm building a sub-woofer so I'm looking for information on a great Carver AMP to power it.  It's an 18" and can handle around 600Watts. A buddy of mine just finished one that I want to build too.  He's powering it with a PM-1.5 and sounds super.  

Howdy Bucky! Glad you found your way back to the Carver Site.

Why don't you tell us something about your taste in music and listening habits?
What type of cabinet are you building and which driver are you going to install? 
WIll it run in mono or stereo? Does it have a dual voice coils?

As for amps I agree with your buddy, Carver Pro is the way to go.
(As long as cosmetics and cooling fan noise is not a big issue for you.)
The PM-1.5 and it's identical twin (the PM-1200) are pretty good choices
Both are based on the M-1.5 with balanced inputs and beefier output devices.
20130715133855236.jpg 

If you are looking for more power check out the PT1800 and PT2400.
20130715132409693.jpg 

Those are some really impressive amps - PT2400/PT1800 - Yikes.  I might have to find one of these.  I was wondering on the PM1.5 ... if an upgrade to the Mark II was possible on this amp as it is on the M1.5??

....I was wondering on the PM1.5 ... if an upgrade to the Mark II was possible on this amp as it is on the M1.5??

1. No one does MKII upgrades to M-1.5(t)s or any of the pro amps. 
2. If you DID MKII an M-1.5(t) the result would be a PM-1.5/1200. 

The PT2400 is a MONSTER. I use one in my PA rack to drive 4 subs.
(The other amps are PM-1200s, 2 for the mains and 1 for stage monitors.) 
20130715153713124.jpg 

Those are some really impressive amps - PT2400/PT1800 - Yikes.  I might have to find one of these.  I was wondering on the PM1.5 ... if an upgrade to the Mark II was possible on this amp as it is on the M1.5??

Currently there is no documentation to upgrade the M1.5t to MkII status.  Only the M1.0t and M500/T have the MkII upgrades.  Rich (the engineer who designed the MkII upgrades)  has stated he has no intentions of doing any work on the M1.5.  To cramped inside with no room to work.

However, a capacitor upgrade can be done on any amp. Several members here have done this to their M1.5 and have provided documentation (parts and how). This should yield you improved performance.   A member hear (circuitsandconcepts) sells a capacitor upgrade for the M1.5 and PM1.5.  Of course you would have to replace all the other capacitors as well.

Welcome back to the site and I hope we can help you with you hunt for a new amp.