mobile fidelity gold discs (cds)

monte3x

monte, I own quite a few.From what I can tell it kind of depends on the recording some sound better than others. Some of  the better ones that come to mind are: Robin Trower "Bridge of Sighs", Supertramp "Crime of The Century" and The Who's "Tommy". Having had the albums of these the CD's do sound better.But as you say on some there was little or no difference.

Like any CD's some are better than others, if it was a bad recording no amount of cleaning it up will make it sound good. They do have some collector value though as compared to an average CD.

REGARDS SNOW

I think the deal with MoFi is that they are consistent.  You can get a really good CD and the MoFi version won't sound much better.  You get a really crappy CD you want, look for the MoFi version.  It will sound much better.  As BluesMan said, they will sound closer to the vinyl.

I agree that some of the Gold Disc`s are not any better due to the recording itself. But some are much better than the CD and usually the MOFI one`s are very good. And they are somewhat collectable.

I totally agree that they are very consistent.  I've never got a mofi disc that sounded bad.  but i've gotten some that i didn't notice a huge sonic difference difference in. probably try to track down Crime Of The Century and Tommy next to continue the research....

Thanks for the feedback. 

• 2 weeks later...
I have several Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab records and CD's.  The vinyl sounds much better than your standard record and IMOP, sounded better than the"Half Speed Master" records than came out to compete with MFSL.

Most MFSL cd's sound better than standard CD, but as stated above, it depends on the source.  Besides the CD's stated above, I believe the CD's Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall sound much better though I have a couple Harvest "Black Label" CD's of the Dark Side of the Moon than come really and have a unique quality.  However, Atom Heart Mother doesn't sound much better if at all to the regular CD.   Mad Man Across the River CD is another good recording by MFSL.

I noticed the two links above are for the re-releases of some of the CD's.  I wonder how the compare to the original MFSL releases?

• 5 weeks later...
finally managed to score a  mofi ultra-disc version (UDCD505) of 'Crime of the Century', and I must say that it sounds gorgeous.  sonically the best version I've ever heard of this recording.  I have the remastered version of 'Breakfast In America' but now I'm thinking I may want to upgrade to the mofi pressing....

The mofi 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' (UDCD 1-526) was also a pretty astonishing upgrade over my prior version. 

having a hard time tracking down 'Bridge Of Sighs' and 'Madman Across The Water' without breaking the bank.