Bob Carver Amplifier Design Philosophy. Forum Controversy.What Sounds Good?

Ar9Jim

• Community Admin
30 minutes ago, Mathieu said:

Hello Carver fans,

Owner of several Carver/Sunfire amps for decades, I'm always happy with them. Carver amps have a very specific personality, a way to make music alive, that'what I'm searching for... 

PM series, TFM series, I'm listening them daily, and also repair and recap some. 

Could someone explain to me why the carver amps have two different designs :

- the PM1. 5 / TFM42-45 type : amp PCBs are set verticaly on the amp frame, and the power PCB is separated from them 

- the PM1. 0 / TFM25 / TFM55 type : the power transistors are on both sides. 

Why these deep structural differences on different products at the same period of time? 

Regards for any hint

Mathieu

welcome @Mathieu.

I don't know the answer to the tech questions, but to get more attention for your query, I suggest you create a new thread with the title for the question you have - in the Amplifier section.  There's so much here on this site, that no one person reads every thread/topic.

There's also a thread on "Ask Bob Carver" where @Ar9Jim (who works for Bob) can take your questions directly to Bob himself - that is if someone here doesn't already know the answer.

Be sure to post your "introduction" in the welcome shop thread, too - most follow that. LINK:  The Welcome Shop (Please read first) - TheCarversite!

Also see the Please Read introduction thread to see more on how to best post, and best use tools on the site to find answers - our site admins really do a great job here to try to share and provide answers to a lot of things - including best use of the site.

Edited by AndrewJohn

5 hours ago, Mathieu said:

Why these deep structural differences on different products at the same period of time? 

Good question.

I think it is to allow a vertical path for the cooling air to flow over the power transistors.

One with dedicated heat sinks and the other design without.

The fan was not in the original design but added for the pro model I believe.

Edited by Yamacarver
Added comments
  • Thank You 1

One of Bob's philosophies and one of the reasons he has been successful when he has chosen to build lighter weight, lower cost, high headroom designs, for driving dynamic loudspeaker loads, in tube amps or solid state, is higher voltage. A Mcintosh or Dynaco B+ is about 450 volts. A Bob Carver Black Magic 25 or 275 runs at 685 volts, an increase of more than 50%.

One key to a powerful, musical and accurate performance is voltage. In Bobs words about the Black Magics, "they make nice wide voltage swings with lots of headroom."

Edited by Ar9Jim