MQA Loses Backing

itchitch

• Community Admin

At AXPONA, there were a lot of hallway and elevator discussions on this..., that I overheard.

My observation..., most were saying, "who cares"..., others were saying "MQA? What's that..., why do I care?"

Sales folks showing streamers that I was looking at from NAD, Cambridge, Rose, Aurender and others, all seemed to be unable to respond.  MQA must have failed to publish an FAQ to help them with questions.  These vendors that engineered in MQA into their streamers had nothing to say to people at the show..., and embarrassingly quickly switched the conversation..., often to say "Roon, that's all the majority of our customers need these days.  Roon handles everything beautifully."  At which point, I would ask, "then why do I need to spend $x,000 on your streamer?" LoL.

I'm sure that all the top MQA vendors will have a PR statement prepared in the next week or two.  Lots of customers bought into MQA, with big bucks.

FWIW, Roon was everywhere..., btw.  90% of the rooms I visited were running Roon, either as the app or with a Nucleus or RoCK Server in the room.

Bottom line among those I interfaced with (overhead conversations in the halls, rooms, elevators, and the bar end of day) was that losing MQA was a big yawn..., and it will simplify streaming to have it gone.

Others may have observed differently..., of course.  But this was my takeaway.  And, full disclosure, I did not buy into MQA.

• Thank You 1

Well crap, why are lashings still illegal? It would straighten some up out there. I am pretty tired of being ripped off seemingly anytime I choose to trust audiophile "common sense".

9 hours ago, 4krow said:

Well crap, why are lashings still illegal? It would straighten some up out there. I am pretty tired of being ripped off seemingly anytime I choose to trust audiophile "common sense".

Unfortunately audiophile common sense is the product of audiophile engineering, and marketing of twisted takes on real science and engineering. The term "Aerospace Grade Audio" used in some of our marketing is a huge contrast to Audiophile Grade Audio, that mostly overcharges consumers for some mystic science that real engineers laugh at.

• Thank You 1