Display

Wilkic65

• Community Admin

One of the challenges of individual "hangers" for a single album, is to get them aligned, so they don't look all wonky, once you put them on the wall.  

The solutions I tried that were commercially available, for one album, ..., all came out looking crooked/wonky.  They were (in hindsight) designed for product manufacturing and shipping ease.  Not final presentation.  I even used a laser, but they never looked perfect.

My solution, get a simple piece of molding from the local Home Depot (lots of designs to choose from) and a 1/4in quarter-round molding, and mount the molding to the wall where you want a row of album covers.  Glue the 1/4 round to the front edge to hold the album from slipping off the edge.  and voila' perfection.  Everything looks straight and level.  Add a second row underneath and a third above, if desired.

Cheaper too.  

Just another option for you.

• Thank You 1

24 minutes ago, AndrewJohn said:

One of the challenges of individual "hangers" for a single album, is to get them aligned, so they don't look all wonky, once you put them on the wall.  

The solutions I tried that were commercially available, for one album, ..., all came out looking crooked/wonky.  They were (in hindsight) designed for product manufacturing and shipping ease.  Not final presentation.  I even used a laser, but they never looked perfect.

My solution, get a simple piece of molding from the local Home Depot (lots of designs to choose from) and a 1/4in quarter-round molding, and mount the molding to the wall where you want a row of album covers.  Glue the 1/4 round to the front edge to hold the album from slipping off the edge.  and voila' perfection.  Everything looks straight and level.  Add a second row underneath and a third above, if desired.

Cheaper too.  

Just another option for you.

I’ll have to see what my Home Depot has 

1x2 of your favorite wood for stain or paint.

1/4 inch dado along one edge for top and bottom rails, both edges for intermediates. (Or no dado where bottom of record rests… then easier to take record on/off wall.. though an earthquake might see them fall off..  maybe some kind of “keeper” in the middle of where an album sits instead?)

cut to desired lengths.

drill mount holes.

sand and finish

mount slider rails appropriately spaced.

slide records in and out… or pull out record from the bottom after opening whatever keeper is used)

a few bucks and some time..

Edited by radtraveller

• Community Admin
23 hours ago, BobTFM35 said:

dfe2e21d34322068af4a9e668e4d84f6.jpg

14 hours ago, radtraveller said:

1x2 of your favorite wood for stain or paint.

1/4 inch dado along one edge for top and bottom rails, both edges for intermediates. (Or no dado where bottom of record rests… then easier to take record on/off wall.. though an earthquake might see them fall off..  maybe some kind of “keeper” in the middle of where an album sits instead?)

cut to desired lengths.

drill mount holes.

sand and finish

mount slider rails appropriately spaced.

slide records in and out… or pull out record from the bottom after opening whatever keeper is used)

a few bucks and some time..

If the top rail has more "vertical overhang" than the bottom rail has "vertical lip edge," when constructing the "T" shape/cross-section of the rails, you can lift the album up, pull the bottom of the record forward, and lower the record out of the top rail.  simple design trick to ensure any earth movement doesn't cause the album to fall forward yet doesn't require you slide out all the records to the end, to get one out from the middle.

I could draw a CAD drawing of that..., but it's pretty easy to understand, I think.

• Thank You 1