Does vinyl sound better than CD?

iamjohngalt

Well engineered SACDs through my oppo 105, 4000t, The Greg, Dennis, & Bruce tube buffer, an M500t mkII, and my Martin Logan's sounds incredible.

MOFI 1Step 45s through an Ortofon 2M black, Pioneer PL 530, 4000t, M500t mkII, and my Martin Logan's sounds even better, but it's not a fair comparison. I have cryo-engineered 1" thick cables between the turntable and the 4000t. The oppo only has 0.75" XLR to RCA running to the 4000t. 

/just kidding

For my ears, and my rig, it all depends on the quality of the recording.

• Thank You 5
  • Haha 1

One argument from vinyl lovers is that vinyl is superior because it has never gone through an analog to digital conversion and therefore it sounds better since it is purely analog. I find this argument compelling. I think it is possible that the A to D and D to A  processes might affect the recorded sound in a way which they dislike. However, this argument falls apart when the fact of the matter is that many “audiophile” records have been produced from a digital master.

• Thank You 4

True enough. I look for older recordings just for that reason. This is not to say that many of the Mo-Fi stuff of mine doesn't sound great as well, but I have become leery of the 'now digitally remastered' crap whether on vinyl or CD or whatever.

2 hours ago, PhilDent said:

... this argument falls apart when the fact of the matter is that many “audiophile” records have been produced from a digital master.

MOFI sent me a few emails about my backorder telling me one of their steps is to convert  the master to DSD somewhere in the process, and asking me if I still wanted the album. I don't recall the complete process, but as good as most of those albums sound to me, I don't care if they used 2 tin cans and a string in the process. :D 

• Thank You 2
  • Haha 2

"its got a good beat and I can dance to it." I bet Dick Clark just wanted to slap them kids silly for saying that.

But folks, really, it is all that we are wanting, right? I just want to hear something that I like. I am not so concerned as to what alleyway you came from to get it to me.

Edited by 4krow
  • Thank You 1

On 10/1/2023 at 6:16 AM, Ar9Jim said:

It's a subjective topic as to what sounds best, so there is no right or wrong answer, like many topics of the hobby, people will argue and both are correct.

In my opinion I can’t say it any better than Ar9Jim put it. There are various factors already mentioned. A bad mastering is bad. I remember to avoid the Police “Greatest Hits” DVD-A because everyone said how awful it sounded. Which is no reflection on their catalog overall.

No one really knows what someone else perceives is good. Obviously great things offer a great listening experience. But to truly say something as subjective as our listening is very personal opinion.

I certainly will not say that I have “Golden Ears” but I know what makes me enjoy listening to music. That is something I can live with. Especially considering I don’t have a “Golden Wallet” to venture down a more costly path than others and am pretty happy.